The Student Room Group

Studying sonography for Msc with a Biomedical degree?

Hi guys,

im currently in my final year for biomed and im interested in doing a postgrad in medical ultrasound. I've seen that city and kcl want applicants to have pre-arranged placements before applying. I've seen posts about getting into medical ultrasound being really difficult and competitive. I'm currently looking for hospitals that are able to offer placements. Can anyone in this field or anyone who knows anything about this pleaseeeee provide me with some info/guidance about this field or is it even worth going into?

many thanks!
I have moved your thread to a more relevant forum. The medicine forum is for queries about medicine as an academic and professional field, medical degrees, and working as a doctor only.

Sonography masters courses are normally designed for established NHS healthcare professionals. If you haven't been working as a nurse/radiographer/etc for several years you are not likely to be a suitable candidate for those courses.
Original post by Alisha15
Hi guys,

im currently in my final year for biomed and im interested in doing a postgrad in medical ultrasound. I've seen that city and kcl want applicants to have pre-arranged placements before applying. I've seen posts about getting into medical ultrasound being really difficult and competitive. I'm currently looking for hospitals that are able to offer placements. Can anyone in this field or anyone who knows anything about this pleaseeeee provide me with some info/guidance about this field or is it even worth going into?

many thanks!

As above, it is a very competitive field and it is unlikely you will be able to gain a placement without healthcare experience. If you are really set on becoming a sonographer, then you will have to consider the long game by taking another degree course or masters in a relevant discipline (radiography, radiotherapy, nursing, etc.), gaining some hospital experience and then applying for ultrasound. The good news - the courses are exception courses so you would be able to apply for tuition fee and maintenance loan funding even though you will already have a degree.
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
As above, it is a very competitive field and it is unlikely you will be able to gain a placement without healthcare experience. If you are really set on becoming a sonographer, then you will have to consider the long game by taking another degree course or masters in a relevant discipline (radiography, radiotherapy, nursing, etc.), gaining some hospital experience and then applying for ultrasound. The good news - the courses are exception courses so you would be able to apply for tuition fee and maintenance loan funding even though you will already have a degree.

Ahh thank you for your reply!
Does working in a pharmacy count as healthcare experience? Also, I’m able to do a masters in for example nursing,
Radiology, radiography with my biomed degree? Or do I need to do another bsc?

Thanks!
Original post by Alisha15
Ahh thank you for your reply!
Does working in a pharmacy count as healthcare experience? Also, I’m able to do a masters in for example nursing,
Radiology, radiography with my biomed degree? Or do I need to do another bsc?

Thanks!

You need to search for pre-registration masters courses for radiotherapy, radiography, nursing etc.. They are accelerated courses where you don't need to do a three-year undergrad to get to the same point. Some examples:

https://www.mmu.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/course/msc-adult-nursing-pre-registration
https://www.derby.ac.uk/postgraduate/radiography-courses/diagnostic-radiography-msc/
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/courses/2023/therapeutic-radiography-and-oncology-pre-registration-msc

I don't think that pharmacy work will count as strong enough experience to land a sonography placement. However, being a public-facing role, it will help with an application for a healthcare course.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest