The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Original post by CD223
I notice that general trend with both AQA Physics and AQA Maths. There's a lot of pressure on exam boards to make exams harder, which is counter-intuitive given that it only lowers boundaries, meaning the same proportion of people get the same grade they otherwise would have on an easier paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah this was my general feeling too. I've just looked at grade boundaries over time though and they've gone up by an 6ish marks a grade since 2010 (ie if it was 48 for an A then it would be 52 now). It seems to me that the exams are harder and grade boundaries have increased. I guess candidates are more familiar with the exam now but still it would seem a large jump.

This is especially apparent if you compare it to Edexcel which seems consistent (in my subjects anyway).
Reply 1041
Original post by einot
Yeah this was my general feeling too. I've just looked at grade boundaries over time though and they've gone up by an 6ish marks a grade since 2010 (ie if it was 48 for an A then it would be 52 now). It seems to me that the exams are harder and grade boundaries have increased. I guess candidates are more familiar with the exam now but still it would seem a large jump.

This is especially apparent if you compare it to Edexcel which seems consistent (in my subjects anyway).

Yeah I do think there are flaws in the the system. They make exams harder and then they are aghast at the drop in the % of people getting A*/A grades each year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Yeah, I don't understand how they can judge the "correct" range?

Yeah it's a lot of content astro!
What's your hardest unit overall? For me it's mag fields, then astro I just find it hard remembering everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm I don't mind the start of magnetic fields just don't like Lenz's law and flux linkage stuff. Also not a fan of Potential in electric and gravitational fields.

I think Astro is pretty simple it's just really difficult to remember everything, especially when I don't even find it that interesting :frown:

But yeah I don't really mind unit 4, as long as nothing abstract comes up on the paper it should be alright. Unit 5 seems a bit less complicated but much more learning to do so I'd say unit 5 will be more work but unit 4 has actual harder content.
They are getting harder for sure. They are making these papers assuming we have done the past papers (Rightfully so IMO.)

Im pretty sure we are the last year to do this specification because they will be moving onto a new one this year for the soon to be year 12's this year. In other words I suspect they will go out with a 'bang' so to speak :P
Reply 1044
Original post by JJBinn
Hmmm I don't mind the start of magnetic fields just don't like Lenz's law and flux linkage stuff. Also not a fan of Potential in electric and gravitational fields.

I think Astro is pretty simple it's just really difficult to remember everything, especially when I don't even find it that interesting :frown:

But yeah I don't really mind unit 4, as long as nothing abstract comes up on the paper it should be alright. Unit 5 seems a bit less complicated but much more learning to do so I'd say unit 5 will be more work but unit 4 has actual harder content.

That's the part I don't like!

Yeah true! We did the life cycle of stars today - do you know how much detail we need to know about it?

I agree!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1045
Original post by Kennethm
They are getting harder for sure. They are making these papers assuming we have done the past papers (Rightfully so IMO.)

Im pretty sure we are the last year to do this specification because they will be moving onto a new one this year for the soon to be year 12's this year. In other words I suspect they will go out with a 'bang' so to speak :P

They do assume that, which is kinda silly given it should test you on your physics and not your ability to remember a previous mark scheme haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
That's the part I don't like!

Yeah true! We did the life cycle of stars today - do you know how much detail we need to know about it?

I agree!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure, I can tell you I don't know enough though. There's loads in the book about different supernovae etc.

Had the other EMPA task today. Went alright I think, was actually out of 15, so section be must be out of 24.
Reply 1047
Original post by JJBinn
I'm not sure, I can tell you I don't know enough though. There's loads in the book about different supernovae etc.

Had the other EMPA task today. Went alright I think, was actually out of 15, so section be must be out of 24.

Oh right! There's too much content imo. I can't learn all that about stars for it not to come up - I'll be distraught.

Ah right! I didn't know that. Mine's 2 weeks today! eek :eek:
Original post by CD223
Oh right! There's too much content imo. I can't learn all that about stars for it not to come up - I'll be distraught.

Ah right! I didn't know that. Mine's 2 weeks today! eek :eek:

Yeah there's no way it can all come up in 55 mins worth of exam (or 50 I can't remember).
Reply 1049
Original post by JJBinn
Yeah there's no way it can all come up in 55 mins worth of exam (or 50 I can't remember).

True! What's your least favourite astro topic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
True! What's your least favourite astro topic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't have a particular topic I hate most, I would probably just say the spectral class table and all the characteristics of different stars purely because you just have to learn it like a parrot and that's not my style. How about you?
Reply 1051
Original post by JJBinn
Don't have a particular topic I hate most, I would probably just say the spectral class table and all the characteristics of different stars purely because you just have to learn it like a parrot and that's not my style. How about you?

Ah me too :/ I'm struggling with memorising the properties of stellar classes and the life cycle of a star for different masses :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah me too :/ I'm struggling with memorising the properties of stellar classes and the life cycle of a star for different masses :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry. I don't know anything about different stars. I have just started to revise the astrophysics today, I've done 1.1 and 1.2 and hoping tomorrow I can get through the rest of chapter 1. Then it'll be onto chapter 2 which is pretty killer :s-smilie:
Hey guys! I'm so worried about my physics exam right now. Honestly speaking, my practical test sucks. I don't know whether I can still pass the overall physics test if I get U in practical test. I'm also bad at written test.😭😭😩😞😑

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1054
Original post by JJBinn
Don't worry. I don't know anything about different stars. I have just started to revise the astrophysics today, I've done 1.1 and 1.2 and hoping tomorrow I can get through the rest of chapter 1. Then it'll be onto chapter 2 which is pretty killer :s-smilie:

Chapter one is lenses right? That stuff seems okay as there's less memory work and more equations! Although I never seem to pick up many marks on practice questions in class...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1055
Original post by Samphosrattana
Hey guys! I'm so worried about my physics exam right now. Honestly speaking, my practical test sucks. I don't know whether I can still pass the overall physics test if I get U in practical test. I'm also bad at written test.😭😭😩😞😑

Posted from TSR Mobile

When is your practical?

Just relax and take a look through the Nelson Thornes AQA textbook if you have it. It's useful for both sections :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was doing the PHYA4 June 2014 paper today and got stuck on a handful of the Section A questions and was hoping that some of you might be able to help me out with the ones I haven't been able to figure out?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/308v2mbp1dl3tiu/IMG_20150421_221718.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tcu9b76utzc75ax/IMG_20150421_221749.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltnp00c0y6wicnr/IMG_20150421_221814.jpg?dl=0
I'm stuck on Questions 6, 7, 15, 24; the answers are B, C, C and A respectively.
Apologies in advance for the upside down photo, but this is from the 'top secret' June 2014 paper.
Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1057
Original post by l1lvink
I was doing the PHYA4 June 2014 paper today and got stuck on a handful of the Section A questions and was hoping that some of you might be able to help me out with the ones I haven't been able to figure out?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/308v2mbp1dl3tiu/IMG_20150421_221718.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tcu9b76utzc75ax/IMG_20150421_221749.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltnp00c0y6wicnr/IMG_20150421_221814.jpg?dl=0
I'm stuck on Questions 6, 7, 15, 24; the answers are B, C, C and A respectively.
Apologies in advance for the upside down photo, but this is from the 'top secret' June 2014 paper.
Thanks

For 6 i did T+mg=mv^2\r and then rearranged it for T.

For 7 i used x=cos2pift from the formula sheet and replaced it with p and q

For 24 i used the Nfi=BAN then i replaced BAN with the second emf induced in a rotating coil equation from the formula sheet by reaarranging it and i replaced the w with 2pi/T to get A since t cancels and sin(2pi)=0

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1058
Has anyone tried the "exam style questions" at the end of each chapter of the book? I just didn't know if they were worth doing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Chapter one is lenses right? That stuff seems okay as there's less memory work and more equations! Although I never seem to pick up many marks on practice questions in class...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah chapter one is alright to be honest. Some heavy notes on telescopes coming up though :frown:

I've looked at those exam style questions in the text book btw and decided against them. They seem really wordy and not actually exam like at all. I just do the summary questions and then for exam practice I'll go to actual papers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending