The Student Room Group

Ocr as psychology 2015

Thread for anyone taking OCR AS psychology in 2015, share, chat and support :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I just thought that I'd share a technique I use to remember the studies.

For the ones which have a lot of content (except Savage-Rumbaugh; that's toooo long for me) I make summary sheets like the one I attached which briefly cover almost everything we need to know. Then I basically just remember everything on them.

I am petrified about the core studies exam :frown:

Good luck to everyone taking them!
Reply 2
Yeah that one is going to be the toughest, think I am ready for tomorrows methods exam :smile: thanks for sharing that :biggrin:
Reply 3
This is a useful summary of everything that I found :smile:
I am so scared guys like omg the exam is tomorrow aaaaaaaah
Reply 5
Original post by GeorginaMahoney
I am so scared guys like omg the exam is tomorrow aaaaaaaah

Ikr, it is my first exam D: doesn't feel real, I am studying history at the moment, I should probably stop... discuss it on here tomorrow though GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :biggrin:
Thanks for that document, it summarises EVERYTHING!

I feel ready for the investigations paper, I've done enough revision on it to actually feel ready. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
GUYS GUYS GUYS HELP

So for a correlation 10 mark question, asking to describe and evaluate, would you need to operationalise?

so

describe: who what when where how
evaluate: strengths and weaknesses

Original post by Kamara7
Thanks for that document, it summarises EVERYTHING!

I feel ready for the investigations paper, I've done enough revision on it to actually feel ready. :smile:

Original post by megankate34
Ikr, it is my first exam D: doesn't feel real, I am studying history at the moment, I should probably stop... discuss it on here tomorrow though GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :biggrin:

Original post by megankate34
This is a useful summary of everything that I found :smile:
Reply 8
Question:

Psychologists are interested in investigating if there is a correlation between age and ability to use the internet.

a)Suggest an appropriate alternative hypothesis for this study (4)

There will be a significant positive correlation between participants age and their ability to use the internet.

b)Describe and evaluate a way to measure 'ability to use the internet' that could be used in this study (10)

Who? 10-80 year olds
How? Self-selected samling though advertisments around the city and in schools.
Those under 16 will need to get consent.
Where? private room in a library where there are computers.
When? 10AM-11AM on Saturday 5th of June 2015.
How? Point sampling, overt..
What? Give participant a list of tasks and record how long it takes for them to complete each task. E.g. how long it takes for the participant to go on the chat forum on www.thestudentroom.co.uk
How? idk lol

Then evaluate what I said above

IS THIS CORRECT OR NAH? :redface: :redface: :redface:
Original post by Dinaa
GUYS GUYS GUYS HELP

So for a correlation 10 mark question, asking to describe and evaluate, would you need to operationalise?

so

describe: who what when where how
evaluate: strengths and weaknesses

Hi Dinaa, I would definitely operationalise in questions like these. There was a correlation question in June 2011 saying "Describe and evaluate a way to measure driving skills that could be used in this study". The question says "in this study" so make sure you add context by including the variables in the correlation research in your answer. Everything you've included will get you 10 marks.

Hope this helps ^^
Reply 10
Original post by Dinaa
Question:

Psychologists are interested in investigating if there is a correlation between age and ability to use the internet.

There will be a significant positive correlation between participants age and their ability to use the internet.

b)Describe and evaluate a way to measure 'ability to use the internet' that could be used in this study (10)

Who? 10-80 year olds
What? Give participant a list of tasks and record how long it takes for them to complete each task. E.g. how long it takes for the participant to go on the chat forum on www.thestudentroom.co.uk
How? idk lol

Original post by Kamara7
Hi Dinaa, I would definitely operationalise in questions like these. There was a correlation question in June 2011 saying "Describe and evaluate a way to measure driving skills that could be used in this study". The question says "in this study" so make sure you add context by including the variables in the correlation research in your answer. Everything you've included will get you 10 marks.

Hope this helps ^^

Thank yoooou for responding!

What about my answer above? I thought we had to operationalise, but the mark scheme has confused me a little. Says details of sampling method/sample is not needed.

So for every 10mark question, whether it be correlation, experimental, self-report or observations, would you always operationalise?
Original post by Dinaa
Question:

Who? 10-80 year olds
How? idk lol

Everything's right, but make sure you say the time intervals you collect data at like every 10 seconds (I think that's what point sampling is: I always say time sampling)
Original post by Dinaa
Thank yoooou for responding!

What about my answer above? I thought we had to operationalise, but the mark scheme has confused me a little. Says details of sampling method/sample is not needed.

So for every 10mark question, whether it be correlation, experimental, self-report or observations, would you always operationalise?

I would include everything just in case for these questions for any research method, e.g. operationalising, sampling method etc.
Reply 13
Original post by Kamara7
Everything's right, but make sure you say the time intervals you collect data at like every 10 seconds (I think that's what point sampling is: I always say time sampling)

Point sampling is when you focus on an individual at a time, for a set period of time.

Do you mean mention the set period of time? :smile:
Original post by Dinaa
Point sampling is when you focus on an individual at a time, for a set period of time.

Do you mean mention the set period of time? :smile:

Oh, in that case I think the answer's fine as you mentioned 10-11am. :wink:
Reply 15
does anyone have any prediction on what the 10 mark question could be on
Reply 16
Original post by thiss1
does anyone have any prediction on what the 10 mark question could be on

Sorry one other thing, an alternate hypothesis- would you say if it is positive or negative?
Original post by Dinaa
Sorry one other thing, an alternate hypothesis- would you say if it is positive or negative?

It doesn't matter: you could write a one-tailed or two-tailed hypothesis as they're both alternate hypotheses.
I have been doing past papers and I've realised I'm really bad at the longer questions can any body help like is their specific things to talk about for 'DESCRIBE AND EVALUATE' and 'STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES'

thanks, in advance
I'm re-taking this unit as I got a an E last year :confused: lol I got a really high B in core studies tho so I ended up getting a C. Hopefully I can get a B in this. The 10 mark questions are the worst

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending