The Student Room Group

OCR MEI - C1 - 13th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Supergirlxxxxxx
Thread closed. Don't start a fake thread telling people who are already worried about an exam tomorrow about something that goes against what they have planned. Please get a life maybe. Stop sitting around pretending your the chief examiner of every subject in every forum. This is unacceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You just got anally destryoed#applycoldwatertoburn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by CancerousProblem
lol dude my teacher would take away close to all the marks avaliable in the question if we did -9/2 = -9 even if we had all the working
u lucky man

Same here, it was the very last bit of working, so it was the last thing I had to do before getting the answer, so I got the first 2/3 marks for it
i need help, question 7 on the june 2012 paper. How do you do this? i used the quadratic formula but obviously found the points it intercepts the x axis.... this is the only question i got wrote. thanks
b^2-4ac > 0 and you solve it that way:smile:
the values are higher than minus root 5 and lower than root 5, this shows its lower than the root 5 which k is so theres no roots
If you've done past papers you'll understand my drift, but does anyone reckon we'll get a horrible reciprocal graph like in Jan 2007? I'm really hoping not :s-smilie:
Original post by Smithh98
Jan 2013 - u
June 2013 - u
June 2014 - c
June 2015 - hoping for an a i think

How is that even possible? No offence, but that's ridiculous.
Original post by micaela_m
Does anyone have any predictions for what the Section B questions might be on? I'm hoping there's one on circles. Also can sin, cos, tan graphs come up for the graphs transformations??

There was a circle one last year when I did it. I reckon they'll leave it out.
Does anyone have any predictions for what the Section B questions might be on? I'm hoping there's one on circles. Also can sin, cos, tan graphs come up for the graphs transformations??

I'm almost 100% sure there will be a section b question on completing the square and probably polynomials. I think a question involving a shape such as question 10 on June 2012 May come up. And they can't ask about sin, cos and tan graphs as that's on the c2 spec not the C1 :smile:
Every section b for c1 is generic, there's an f(x) question.... A circle question...
If you've done past papers you'll understand my drift, but does anyone reckon we'll get a horrible reciprocal graph like in Jan 2007? I'm really hoping not

Could possibly, hasn't been one like that for a while!! But its okay, when you see a question like that pause and break it down - remember its C1, the maths behind the question wont be too bad. For example for the Jan 2007 instantly break it down into: intersections and circles :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
This is supposed to be easiest exam as I'm doing C3 this year too, but I'm actually quite worried about it. The number of stupid mistakes I consistently make, like srsly xD
http://www.mei.org.uk/files/pdf/formulae.pdf

Might be a good idea to look through this right now and tomorrow morning ❤️
Original post by thechemistress
This is supposed to be easiest exam as I'm doing C3 this year too, but I'm actually quite worried about it. The number of stupid mistakes I consistently make, like srsly xD

Im doing A2 and retaking this exam.. I have exactly the same problem as you haha! Need my calculator for safety!!
Original post by AbdulArshad
I'm almost 100% sure there will be a section b question on completing the square and probably polynomials. I think a question involving a shape such as question 10 on June 2012 May come up. And they can't ask about sin, cos and tan graphs as that's on the c2 spec not the C1 :smile:

How would they do completing the square for Section B like how would they carry it on if you know what I mean, would it turn into a circles thing?
And okay thanks I will have a look at the shape question in the 2012 paper!
And okay thanks that's good I knew they couldn't ask specifics but I thought they might ask us to translate/stretch graph etc to test transformations knowledge rather than it being similar to a C2 question.
Thanks for clearing that up tho!!
Reply 56
Can someone please explain to me how to do f(x) questions. I am getting confused between the factor theorem, the remainder theorem,finding roots and polynomials. Question 12 on the January 2013 paper is an example.
Reply 57
12i) sub in x=1 to the equation. It will equal 0, then divide by (x-1). i got x^3 + x + 10
12ii) x= -2 is a second root.
12iii) divide x^3 + x + 10 by (x+2). You should get a quadratic. Then use the discriminant to show that it is less than 0, so the only linear factors are (x+2) and (x-1)

did this paper earlier today :smile:
12) i)

Sub x = 1 into f(x). You should get 0 as your answer.

Then divide f(x) by (x - 1) as x = 1 in factor terms is (x - 1). Then you should get a cubic equation and the (x - 1) factor.

ii)

Sub in different numbers into f(x). Try x = -2 :smile:

iii) The cubic equation you got in part i), divide that by the root you found in part ii) (it should be x = -2).

Then you will get a quadratic equation after dividing it.

Then use the discriminant b^2 -4ac > 0 to probe there are only two roots as the discriminant will come out negative.

Hope this helps :smile:
How would they do completing the square for Section B like how would they carry it on if you know what I mean, would it turn into a circles thing?
And okay thanks I will have a look at the shape question in the 2012 paper!
And okay thanks that's good I knew they couldn't ask specifics but I thought they might ask us to translate/stretch graph etc to test transformations knowledge rather than it being similar to a C2 question.
Thanks for clearing that up tho!![/Q

it'll be a question similiar to Question 11 on January 2013 :smile: like it probably ask for intersections and tangents :smile:

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending