The Student Room Group

aqa Applied Science

What did people think of the AQA AS Applied Science Exam today?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought the physics part was quite hard and the first page of biology just didn't make sense!
Reply 2
Original post by abiwilson
I thought the physics part was quite hard and the first page of biology just didn't make sense!

i definitely agree with the physics part, i didn't even get what it was asking to be honest. i didn't think the biology part was too bad.
Reply 3
Original post by jessrosexxo
What did people think of the AQA AS Applied Science Exam today?

It was really hard, half of the stuff on it I don't even think our teacher taught us it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Sxfx
It was really hard, half of the stuff on it I don't even think our teacher taught us it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

no me either, was never taught what a inspiratory reserve volume is
Reply 5
We had a revision booklet with stuff in but not much about the physics on the exam
For the question about how the brain and nervous system inrease heart rate, I think these may be the marking points:

Increased frequency of impulses travel in

Sympathetic nerve

From cardiovascular centre

In brain/medulla

To S-A node

In right atrium of the heart

Reply 7
Original post by CMooreFalcons
For the question about how the brain and nervous system inrease heart rate, I think these may be the marking points:

Increased frequency of impulses travel in

Sympathetic nerve

From cardiovascular centre

In brain/medulla

To S-A node

In right atrium of the heart

oh dear, didn't mention all of that
The physics was so hard! I think i lost about 30 marks. Does anyone know the grade boundaries?
Reply 9
i did not understand question 1 and question 7!!!! so damn hard and there was stuff in there which our teacher didn't even teach us! i really hope grade boundaries are low this year !
Original post by satoma
i did not understand question 1 and question 7!!!! so damn hard and there was stuff in there which our teacher didn't even teach us! i really hope grade boundaries are low this year !

The grade boundaries have to be low, the amount of people who have found it so hard
What did people get for the rock-climber question?

Was it something like 750 Newtons times 0.6 metres = 450?
Reply 12
the physics part was so hard :frown:
The first question on the biology part was especially hard I thought, I didn't think it made sense because germinating peas don't take in oxygen but take in C02 and have a low RQ. I still wrote about oxygen though.
As for that last question, who ever designed the paper this year is satan, it was one of the hardest if not thee hardest paper they had in years. The only past paper that even comes close is one of the 2011 ones I think.
Hopefully they'll lower the grade boundaries quite a bit because it does seem really unfair, the biology required lots of knowledge about one small part of the course and the physics wanted extraneous math to be done and that last awful question tho
Reply 14
Original post by CMooreFalcons
What did people get for the rock-climber question?

Was it something like 750 Newtons times 0.6 metres = 450?

i got completely confused with that question, it mentioned weight with newtons - didn't get that
Reply 15
Original post by cr4zyjay97
The first question on the biology part was especially hard I thought, I didn't think it made sense because germinating peas don't take in oxygen but take in C02 and have a low RQ. I still wrote about oxygen though.
As for that last question, who ever designed the paper this year is satan, it was one of the hardest if not thee hardest paper they had in years. The only past paper that even comes close is one of the 2011 ones I think.
Hopefully they'll lower the grade boundaries quite a bit because it does seem really unfair, the biology required lots of knowledge about one small part of the course and the physics wanted extraneous math to be done and that last awful question tho

what was the last one even going on about?!
Original post by jessrosexxo
what was the last one even going on about?!

It was something about like the amount of energy the climber needed to move up, me and a few others put like 750N x 0.6m / 1 giving it 450w

The question i didn't understand at all was the one asking about the efficiency and the production of heat. The efficiency was 85% so I calculated what he needed to have 100% which turned out to be like sixty something point something I can't remember

The next part I just put in what the 15% I measured out from the last question was

As for that last part I wrote about energy dissipating through heat, sound and other muscle activity.
That question sucked so much
Reply 17
Original post by cr4zyjay97
It was something about like the amount of energy the climber needed to move up, me and a few others put like 750N x 0.6m / 1 giving it 450w

The question i didn't understand at all was the one asking about the efficiency and the production of heat. The efficiency was 85% so I calculated what he needed to have 100% which turned out to be like sixty something point something I can't remember

The next part I just put in what the 15% I measured out from the last question was

As for that last part I wrote about energy dissipating through heat, sound and other muscle activity.
That question sucked so much

It really did, well that one i definitely got wrong
I got 450 I think
Original post by abiwilson
I got 450 I think

Same!

Quick Reply

Latest