The Student Room Group

How do you do NEAs if you are self teaching??

I'm currently self teaching myself Computer Science and Further Maths AS Level in Year 12 as well as normally doing Maths, Biology and Chemistry in my school, as I want to do a Computer science course at uni and the school I go to doesn't currently offer Computer Science. Yes I have Maths, which is enough to apply for the course but the university I'm applying to is VERY competitive.
Anyway, I'm studying using the official spec as a guide, and looking at the exam I saw that the 20% of my total grade is determined by an NEA. What do I do, and even if I did the NEA, who do I even hand it in to??
Original post by TheBurn
I'm currently self teaching myself Computer Science and Further Maths AS Level in Year 12 as well as normally doing Maths, Biology and Chemistry in my school, as I want to do a Computer science course at uni and the school I go to doesn't currently offer Computer Science. Yes I have Maths, which is enough to apply for the course but the university I'm applying to is VERY competitive.
Anyway, I'm studying using the official spec as a guide, and looking at the exam I saw that the 20% of my total grade is determined by an NEA. What do I do, and even if I did the NEA, who do I even hand it in to??

You need to start researching exam centres that are happy to mark your NEA. It will be quite a bit more expensive than just doing the exams like with other subjects, but it's doable if you are doing OCR AQA does not allow private candidates.

Which university are you thinking of applying to? You will probably be more competitive if you forget Computer Science and focus on Further Maths.
Reply 2
Original post by vapordave
You need to start researching exam centres that are happy to mark your NEA. It will be quite a bit more expensive than just doing the exams like with other subjects, but it's doable if you are doing OCR AQA does not allow private candidates.

Which university are you thinking of applying to? You will probably be more competitive if you forget Computer Science and focus on Further Maths.

I want to at least try to apply or Oxford. I'll probably drop further maths and focus on Computer Science as I'm applying for a computer science course there, and it might raise my chances. Even if I don't get in, I still feel like having a computer science A level will help me
Reply 3
Original post by TheBurn
I want to at least try to apply or Oxford. I'll probably drop further maths and focus on Computer Science as I'm applying for a computer science course there, and it might raise my chances. Even if I don't get in, I still feel like having a computer science A level will help me

The reason I might doing this, even though further maths could give me a better chance, is because it shows dedication to the course, and also because I feel like further maths would be too much even on its own
Original post by TheBurn

Computer Science would not raise your chances at all in the way that Further Maths would. It's not worth spreading yourself so thin with 4 A-levels for something relatively inconsequential.

Does your school offer Further Maths?
Reply 5
Original post by vapordave
Computer Science would not raise your chances at all in the way that Further Maths would. It's not worth spreading yourself so thin with 4 A-levels for something relatively inconsequential.

Does your school offer Further Maths?

No they do not, unfortunately,
I'm currently studying Further Maths as an extra subject along with my chosen three so there's no NEAs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending