7a. draw x^2(x-2) [3]
7bi. R = 36 [2]
7bii. R= 0 therefore root [2]
7biii.(x-2)(x^2-5x+10) [2]
7biv. x=2 [3]
8a. Show that x^2 + 3(k-2)x -13-k=0 [1]
8b. 9k^2 -32k -16 < 0 [3]
8c. -4/9 < k <4 [4]

Edit: added marks, not sure about a few of them.
(edited 8 years ago)
For the graph, which I now know is probably the only error I have made, I drew the line beginning in bottom left quadrant, up through the origin and continued up and then down and just touched the x-axis at 3 and then back up again. Will I get any mark for this?

Original post by Heffalump .
What do you mean by 3 roots? it depends on where they were, it was 3 marks, but if you plotted on of the roots correctly (the root 3) then you would have only lost two I think...
Original post by SaadMuhammad
I got 108/5 or something similar not 31.

yeah thats similar to what i got
Reply 163
What do you mean by 3 roots? it depends on where they were, it was 3 marks, but if you plotted on of the roots correctly (the root 3) then you would have only lost two I think...

-3, 0 and 3, instead of a double root at 0 i plotted one at -3
For question 5bii (line of sim question) like an idiot I wrote y = -3/2 instead of x =. Reckon I would still be awarded the marks?
Original post by Hexaneandheels
For the graph, which I now know is probably the only error I have made, I drew the line beginning in bottom left quadrant, up through the origin and continued up and then down and just touched the x-axis at 3 and then back up again. Will I get any mark for this?

You may get one mark, as there's probably a mark for the right numbers (0 and 3) and then the other two will be based on touching the origin and going through the 3.. so you might still get a mark for that
Qn 8.
B i) 9k^2 - 32k -16
= (9k+4)(k-4)
I) Inequality = -4/9<k<4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MHenton11
For question 5bii (line of sim question) like an idiot I wrote y = -3/2 instead of x =. Reckon I would still be awarded the marks?

It's only 1 mark, so probably not.
Thank you! But I recall checking at the end, that graph was just worth 2 marks not three. Unless I had a total blank moment when reading that!

You may get one mark, as there's probably a mark for the right numbers (0 and 3) and then the other two will be based on touching the origin and going through the 3.. so you might still get a mark for that
Original post by MHenton11

You won't be, it was only one mark, and I remember a past paper question that specifically stated it must be x=... not y=...
if i did all the integration correctly but ended up with 163/5 for the first bit and subsequently 54-163/5 = 107/5 rather than 108/5, how many marks would i lose? absolutely gutted, this brings my whole mark down to 68 or 67/75 depending on whether or not i get penalised twice.
Reply 171
I drew the graph touching the x axis at 3 and crossing the x at 0, why is it the other way around? And how many marks would I get for this

Also can someone explain the question about finding the values for k thanks
Reply 172
For the circle equation question, how were the two possible values for k found? I subbed in the coordinates of P(4,k) into the circle equation (x+1)^2+(y-3)^2=50 and got a quadratic like x^2-6x-24=0 which I had to use the quadratic equation to get something like 3 plus or minus root 33... it seems some people got 8 or -2 or something
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hexaneandheels
Thank you! But I recall checking at the end, that graph was just worth 2 marks not three. Unless I had a total blank moment when reading that!

Oh you're probably right then, like I said you might get one mark for it, but it's only a two mark loss if not, so it's not too bad:smile:)
The worst part about Core one is that, regardless of how gifted we are mathematically, just one little error CAN cost us the 100 UMS, as the 100 UMS is usually 71+. Core 2 is a little more forgiving.
Original post by Moe21
-3, 0 and 3, instead of a double root at 0 i plotted one at -3

The equation was

(X^2)(X - 3)

So the only roots would be 0 and +3

Where X = 2 is also a stationary point and y = -4
Original post by tanyapotter
if i did all the integration correctly but ended up with 163/5 for the first bit and subsequently 54-163/5 = 107/5 rather than 108/5, how many marks would i lose? absolutely gutted, this brings my whole mark down to 68 or 67/75 depending on whether or not i get penalised twice.

the first bit was 108/5, not 163/5.. the final answer was 162/5
Found it ridiculously easy, easier than last years, and I scored 100% when I did it for the mock
Original post by SaadMuhammad
I got 108/5 or something similar not 31.

YES THATS WHAT I GOT TOO!
That cylinder question was disgusting.
Oh you're probably right then, like I said you might get one mark for it, but it's only a two mark loss if not, so it's not too bad:smile:)

it was definitely 3 marks, i'm afraid
1 mark - get the right shape of an x^3 graph
1 mark - repeated root at the origin
1 mark - intercept at x=3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending