The Student Room Group

OCR FP1 (Non-MEI) 14th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Yep. -2-root3 + i

Original post by bred123
Yeh i thought there was at first, because there was 2 positions of the plus and minus signs,
but when you did all 4, 2 of them just converted into the opposite ones so it just came out with 2 of the same answers.

This is what i had for the point of intersection. Did anyone get the same?

edit: I knew I was right. Definitely only 2 solutions.
I didn't complete the square I used a different method.
Took 4 from both sides then took 5+12i to the other side
then factorised the left (x-2)(x-2) = 5+12i
so x was the square root of 5+12i + 2 (2 solutions)
:biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 81
Okay awesome thanks pal,
that was the question i was wary about. I didnt originally put -2 until the last minute, i took it from the circles centre haha,

Hope you and everyone has done great, bring on core 2 haha
Original post by bred123
Okay awesome thanks pal,
that was the question i was wary about. I didnt originally put -2 until the last minute, i took it from the circles centre haha,

Hope you and everyone has done great, bring on core 2 haha

Hope you've done well too. Bring on core 2 and D2 on the same day.. ^_^

edit: remembered the equation
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 83
hahaha I actually managed to get the hard answers like 29, but for the loci bit I got the right point but I gave it as coordinates 😂😂😂 anyway did anybody get 1.25 for the summations one?
Reply 84
Original post by Yeezus
hahaha I actually managed to get the hard answers like 29, but for the loci bit I got the right point but I gave it as coordinates 😂😂😂 anyway did anybody get 1.25 for the summations one?

Yeah we all did - that was a nice question - I especially liked how there were three terms and the whole thing quite literally lived up to the expectation of it being a "telescope" method :smile:
Original post by Wawasan
Yeah we all did - that was a nice question - I especially liked how there were three terms and the whole thing quite literally lived up to the expectation of it being a "telescope" method :smile:

yup 1.25 XD
Reply 87
Can someone remember how many marks were for each question? We have a user generated mark scheme, but if anyone can remember, that would be really helpful!
Reply 88
Any grade boundary predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GM16
Any grade boundary predictions?

I have a feeling the A boundary might be 60-63 ish. Just guessing though!
Reply 90
Original post by Jamesb17_
I have a feeling the A boundary might be 60-63 ish. Just guessing though!

I agree, I'm thinking about 60 for an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Anyone know if arsey has bought out his solutions yet?
I got -(root3) + i
Original post by JPerrin98
I got -(root3) + i

your circle was also 2 negative x units from the origin!
Reply 94
Original post by Parallex
your circle was also 2 negative x units from the origin!

Very true
I did this too! Talk about throwing away marks! 😔
couldn't do the last one, couldn't do the quadratic one, messed up the matrices, got the wrong loci intercept, I'm gonna enjoy this U :biggrin:
Reply 97
Original post by Parallex

you got (a2+b2+y2)2)(a^2 + b^2 + y^2)^2) which was 64
then took away 2(a2b2+a2y2+b2y2)2(a^2b^2 + a^2y^2 + b^2y^2) which was 32

6432[br]64-32[br]
then refer to the original equation of x
aby=d/a=3[br]323=29aby = -d/a = -3[br]32-3=29

you couldn't use your equation in u to find aby because you had no way of deciding whether root 9 was -3 or +3, so refer to the original equation

-d/a = -3/1 = -3

32-3=29

ah I ended up with -32 -3 = -35, shouldn't lose many marks for a sign error? Depends if my method was sound I guess
I did it right for 10 ii but had a carry on error from 10 i, and I didn't put much working. Do you need to show working if you get the right answer? Would I get all the marks for working?
Original post by kamiokirby
I did it right for 10 ii but had a carry on error from 10 i, and I didn't put much working. Do you need to show working if you get the right answer? Would I get all the marks for working?

E.c.f means you will get all the marks assuming you made no mistakes in the part of the question where you were going on a follow on error.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending