Scroll to see replies

Reply 1640
Original post by CD223
Usually I'm okay with these questions, but this one has stumped me:

Jan 2013 - any takers?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431939265.527632.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

How about this?

First pair of equations are given ratios.
Second pair of equations are the relevant equations, replacing the other constants with k and rearranging for k to form the next equations nicely.
The last pair of equations are from making the k equations equal which is true since the original ratios are substituted in at the same time.
Guys I'm looking for this specific revision material which was uploaded to dropbox or some other site. It had revision materials containing both As and A2 physics with topic heading and such, anybody know where I can find it?
Reply 1642
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
It was meant to be something like this even thought i used my own results which give me an inaccurate mass of the DVD. X is the mass of the DVD
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431944094.770483.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you take my expression and your expression with a mass of 200g you get the same answers.

In my answer I used both the 3.1% increase and 3.3% increase which both ended up with answers ~13g.

The 3.1% equation produced:
12.5922g

The 3.3% equation produced:
13.4178g

Averaging the two results gives a mass of the DVD of 13.005g.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1643
Original post by Somniare
using M = Mass of moon, m = mass of earth, R = radius of moon and r = radius of earth

Gm/(r^2) = 6 GM/(R^2) (gravitational field strength)

0.6 m/(4/3*pi*r^3) = M/(4/3*pi*R^3) (density)

We can then cancel out to get

m/r^3 = 0.6 M/R^3
m/r^2 = 6 M/R^2

Dividing the second set by the first set gives

r = 6/0.6R
r/R = 10

Ah but it says the answer is 3.6 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1644
Original post by JayCS
How about this?

First pair of equations are given ratios.
Second pair of equations are the relevant equations, replacing the other constants with k and rearranging for k to form the next equations nicely.
The last pair of equations are from making the k equations equal which is true since the original ratios are substituted in at the same time.

Thank you! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah but it says the answer is 3.6 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh dear >< again I don't know what I'm doing wrong...Although JayCS' method seems unassailable.
Original post by CD223
If you take my expression and your expression with a mass of 200g you get the same answers.

In my answer I used both the 3.1% increase and 3.3% increase which both ended up with answers ~13g.

The 3.1% equation produced:
12.5922g

The 3.3% equation produced:
13.4178g

Averaging the two results gives a mass of the DVD of 13.005g.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right. Then yeah. I though of doing that too in the exam but i scrabbled so much that i ended up having no space left for the answer, lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1647
Oh dear >< again I don't know what I'm doing wrong...Although JayCS' method seems unassailable.

I made a mistake too thinking it was 10. I'd have never have got the correct answer in the real thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1648
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Oh right. Then yeah. I though of doing that too in the exam but i scrabbled so much that i ended up having no space left for the answer, lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I was in a similar position Hahha!

Be interesting to see how the MS does it if there were multiple methods.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah I was in a similar position Hahha!

Be interesting to see how the MS does it if there were multiple methods.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah exactly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe they will accept different approaches for the DVD question. After all, each of the approaches on here seem to get the correct answer of 13g.
Reply 1651
using M = Mass of moon, m = mass of earth, R = radius of moon and r = radius of earth

Gm/(r^2) = 6 GM/(R^2) (gravitational field strength)

0.6 m/(4/3*pi*r^3) = M/(4/3*pi*R^3) (density)

We can then cancel out to get

m/r^3 = 0.6 M/R^3
m/r^2 = 6 M/R^2

Dividing the second set by the first set gives

r = 6/0.6R
r/R = 10

Hi there.

Your method works; I think you just made a mistake on the first equation you formed from cancelling out.

I get that it is m/r^3=5M/3R^3 i.e. 1/0.6 not 0.6 on the RHS.

The rest worked out from there.
Original post by JayCS
Hi there.

Your method works; I think you just made a mistake on the first equation you formed from cancelling out.

Oh yes of course! Thank you! =D
Reply 1653
Original post by JayCS
Hi there.

Do you use the same approach for all ratio questions?
Reply 1654
Original post by CD223
Do you use the same approach for all ratio questions?

Hey.

I use this format for questions that require more than one ratio to be used -- in this case, for gravitational field strength and density.

For other ratio questions, I just form one ratio equation such as below.

Capacitance Question.png

I don't use either method that often though since these questions don't seem to be that common; I end up using proportions for multiple choice most of the time.
CD223,

Here's the set of questions =D Some are past questions, some are ones they think are likely to come up.
Reply 1656
Original post by JayCS
Hey.

I use this format for questions that require more than one ratio to be used -- in this case, for gravitational field strength and density.

For other ratio questions, I just form one ratio equation such as below.

Capacitance Question.png

I don't use either method that often though since these questions don't seem to be that common; I end up using proportions for multiple choice most of the time.

Cool! thanks. How are you doing on past papers?
Reply 1657
CD223,

Here's the set of questions =D Some are past questions, some are ones they think are likely to come up.

Thanks for sharing! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1658
Original post by CD223
Cool! thanks. How are you doing on past papers?

PHYA4 papers are good to do since PHYA4 was the first unit we learned. I suspect it's the same for most people. I've only just starting doing PHYA5 papers though since there aren't that many to do.

Yourself?
Reply 1659
Original post by JayCS
PHYA4 papers are good to do since PHYA4 was the first unit we learned. I suspect it's the same for most people. I've only just starting doing PHYA5 papers though since there aren't that many to do.

Yourself?

Yeah me too - I feel the lack of PHYA5 papers will make me very nervous and unprepared come the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending