The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Physics PH1 May 19th 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gergjre
I cant remember. I probably screwed it up. Circuit question and q7 were the worst though!

Nasty circuit question. If Q7 was the last question, I didn't really mind that too much, since I had done a couple of questions that were pretty much the same as that before. I'll never let that practical question go though...
Original post by PrimeLime
Did you at least find mg(delta)h and 1/2mv^2 and maybe find the difference?

I did do potential difference but didn't think to do kinetic energy. did that for the bottom question though not the big one on top. I got like 600 something newtons for the top
Reply 102
Did you at least find mg(delta)h and 1/2mv^2 and maybe find the difference?

Did you do energy after-energy before? or was it the other way around?
I got less than 1.6A, the same, half.

I got that too (:
Original post by gergjre
Neither have I. I havent looked at anything for about 4 weeks. OOPS

I just didn't listen in class for PH2, so I'm paying the penalty by having to teach myself (practically) the whole course with a textbook and below-standard class notes. :frown:
for the zip line thats all you had to do was mgh at the start and 1/2mv^2 at the end. then mgh-1/2mv^2 to get the energy lost. then Work=Force x distance. so the energy lost=resistive forces x distance (between the start and finish). giving you 60 something N .and then for the second part you just divided the energy lost by the time
Original post by rhungwilym
I did do potential difference but didn't think to do kinetic energy. did that for the bottom question though not the big one on top. I got like 600 something newtons for the top

The velocity they gave you should have been a hint? You'll probably get a mark.
I'm guessing it goes: GPE (1), KE (1), Difference (work done) (1), Force (1).
Original post by matthewdjones
for the zip line thats all you had to do was mgh at the start and 1/2mv^2 at the end. then mgh-1/2mv^2 to get the energy lost. then Work=Force x distance. so the energy lost=resistive forces x distance (between the start and finish). giving you 60 something N .and then for the second part you just divided the energy lost by the time

well poop
Reply 108
I just didn't listen in class for PH2, so I'm paying the penalty by having to teach myself (practically) the whole course with a textbook and below-standard class notes. :frown:

At least you have notes. We have nothing but past papers
Original post by gergjre
Did you do energy after-energy before? or was it the other way around?

No, other way around because energy is dissipated due to frictional forces DURING the travel.
The velocity they gave you should have been a hint? You'll probably get a mark.
I'm guessing it goes: GPE (1), KE (1), Difference (work done) (1), Force (1).

did they even give a velocity?
Reply 111
No, other way around because energy is dissipated due to frictional forces DURING the travel.

****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did that and then done it the wrong way. I will be lucky if ive scrapped a B :frown:
I got less than 1.6A, the same, half.

Can you remember what the first part of this question was by any chance, to get less than 1.6A? Think I put 'same', can't remember if the question was current in P and Q or current in P overall! Cause overall current would go down of course but would be the same in both, may have dropped another mark there -.-
Original post by gergjre
At least you have notes. We have nothing but past papers

Notes as in pretty much only diagrams. I can only imagine how nice it'd be if all I had to do now was just papers... :sigh:
did they even give a velocity?

Yeah on the page that you wrote on at the end of the stem XD.
Original post by Jonooo123
Can you remember what the first part of this question was by any chance, to get less than 1.6A? Think I put 'same', can't remember if the question was current in P and Q or current in P overall! Cause overall current would go down of course but would be the same in both, may have dropped another mark there -.-

It was : the current in the circuit?
the current in Q?
the speed drift in Q?
Original post by Jonooo123

Yeah a lot of people put the same.
But the question asked how the total current of the circuit would change. I thought that since you're adding another wire, you're putting more resistance into the circuit so the total current decreases.
Were P and Q wires anyway? And am I right in saying that adding Q would increase the circuit resistance?? I'm starting to doubt my answer now...
It was : the current in the circuit?
the current in Q?
the speed drift in Q?

The more I think about it the less sure about what I put, if the second part was current in P compared to Q then most likely I did get the first bit right, can't remember tbh! Usually I'd spend the last 5 mins trying to memorise answers to compare but forgot half of them!
Yeah a lot of people put the same.
But the question asked how the total current of the circuit would change. I thought that since you're adding another wire, you're putting more resistance into the circuit so the total current decreases.
Were P and Q wires anyway? And am I right in saying that adding Q would increase the circuit resistance?? I'm starting to doubt my answer now...

Yeah I'm just doubting myself to be honest! Resistance would definitely increase so current would decrease, just had a flash back and now Im fairly certain I did put current goes down aha!
Did anyone else get a resistivity along the lines of 8x10^-8 for the wire? and a drift velocity of something like 5x10^-5?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending