The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1900
Original post by PotterPhysics
No problem! This is exactly how I would do it in an exam because it's the first approach that came to mind and takes at most a few seconds to carry out if you know what you're doing, but CD's one is definitely nicer. (What I did would best be described as a "bash".)

Lol mine was more logic than maths (I chose the dumb way :wink:). I tend to prefer logical thinking but I do appreciate its impressive if you can manage the maths. I certainly couldn't under pressure haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1901
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Yes it is June 2014, has some pretty tough multi choice questions in there. Thanks for that makes much more sense. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah hardest MC one I've seen. Some interesting ones though! No worries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Lol mine was more logic than maths (I chose the dumb way :wink:). I tend to prefer logical thinking but I do appreciate its impressive if you can manage the maths. I certainly couldn't under pressure haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, mathematicians would definitely prefer your method as being more "elegant". (Side note: That was nothing compared to STEP, where you have to crunch through much harder calculations without a calculator.)
Reply 1903
Nah, mathematicians would definitely prefer your method as being more "elegant". (Side note: That was nothing compared to STEP, where you have to crunch through much harder calculations without a calculator.)

Well thank you for the compliment, but your method is more impressive :wink:

Oh wow...it's got to the point I've now given up being in awe of the people on this site. I got 40/100 on the MAT last year, that shows how far off I am to people on this thread 😂 good luck on STEP :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
That's true. For me studying it makes unit 4 acceptable.
I've heard the astro option is the hardest alongside medical one. Though i found the waves chapter a bit abstract and hard to tolerate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats weird, I think astro is the easiest option. Much easier than turning points definitely. Its just a load of new stuff to learn, thats all. Not to mention its quite an interesting topic (stars and all) :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
It's the hardest Capacitance question I've seen. June 2014, right?

Essentially, as EV2E \propto V^2, this means that, if we set E=1600μJE = 1600\mu J, then when V has decreased by 2.0V, E has become E4=400μJ\frac{E}{4} = 400\mu J.

As E has decreased by a factor of 4 and EV2E \propto V^2, V must have decreased by a factor of 2 (V24)\left(\sqrt{\frac{V^2}{4}}\right).

As V has halved by decreasing by 2.0V, the initial pd must have been 4.0V.

This follows that, as E=12CV2E = \frac{1}{2}CV^2,

C=2×1600×10642C = \frac{2 \times 1600 \times 10^{-6}}{4^2}

[br]C=200×106F[br][br]\therefore C = 200 \times 10^{-6}F[br]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That sounds like essentially what I've done. Here's what I did.
img023.jpg
Original post by zaybun
Thats weird, I think astro is the easiest option. Much easier than turning points definitely. Its just a load of new stuff to learn, thats all. Not to mention its quite an interesting topic (stars and all) :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I think that's what makes it harder or even medical physics one basically. Astro is 4 chapters and medical 5 chapters whereas turning points is only 3 chapters. Even though turning points may be harder, the content is logical and reasonable and there is not so much in it that seem being beyond the scope of the A2 specification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It seems we won't see the EMPA mark scheme until 10 says after the actual exam :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alternative (and longer!)

We are given information about V and we need to find C, so the equation to use is E=12CV2E=\frac{1}{2}CV^2. Initially, E0=12CV2=1600μE_0=\frac{1}{2}CV^2=1600\mu implying that CV2=3200μCV^2=3200\mu. Then the voltage decreases by 2V and the energy stored becomes 400μ400\mu, which we can express as the equation E1=12C(V2)2=400μE_1=\frac{1}{2}C(V-2)^2=400\mu, or C(V2)2=800μC(V-2)^2=800\mu.

Now square rooting both sides of each equation we obtain VC=3200μV\sqrt{C}=\sqrt{3200\mu} and (V2)C=800μ(V-2)\sqrt{C}=\sqrt{800\mu}. Thus V=3200μC=800μC+2V=\frac{\sqrt{3200\mu}}{\sqrt{C}}=\frac{\sqrt{800\mu}}{\sqrt{C}}+2, or equivalently 3200μ800μ=2C\sqrt{3200\mu}-\sqrt{800\mu}=2\sqrt{C}. Now we just square both sides and divide by 4 to get C=(3200μ800μ)24=200μFC=\frac{(\sqrt{3200\mu}-\sqrt{800\mu})^2}{4}=200\mu F

Finally make sense !!
Reply 1909
Original post by dominicwild
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That sounds like essentially what I've done. Here's what I did.
img023.jpg

Yeah that is! :smile: Mine was just less algebra haha.

It seems we won't see the EMPA mark scheme until 10 says after the actual exam :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no, is that 10 days after PHYA4?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Oh no, is that 10 days after PHYA4?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm still not sure if that's the case because the exam papers taken in the last 10 days have been released

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1911
I'm still not sure if that's the case because the exam papers taken in the last 10 days have been released

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just it's been more than 10 days (11 days actually) since the last date the EMPA was taken on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
It's just it's been more than 10 days (11 days actually) since the last date the EMPA was taken on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, true, I really don't know what's happening. If the files are released electronically then we would have the papers by now which I don't think is the case. And if the files are released manually then they will be released by the end of today or maximum tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got any tips for revising the transformer questions, ive done all the new past papers but its wasn't included in the old syllabus. Has anyone got any resources?
thanks!!

Check out on page 90, post 1791 where CD223 provided an explanation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1916
Yeah, true, I really don't know what's happening. If the files are released electronically then we would have the papers by now which I don't think is the case. And if the files are released manually then they will be released by the end of today or maximum tomorrow

Hope so! Wanna see how badly I did 😖

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432636636.735334.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Hope so! Wanna see how badly I did 😖
Posted from TSR Mobile

Even though I messed up in that paper too, I'm still looking forward to seeing that lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
can anyone help with jan 2010 - q21?? I keep getting C ;(

Thanks
Reply 1919
Original post by gcsestuff
can anyone help with jan 2010 - q21?? I keep getting C ;(

Thanks

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432640592.322151.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest