The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gilo98
They also do worksheets which I think are good practice - especially for questions like that infamous trig Q on the June 2013 C3 paper. All the solomon papers are 'harder' than Edexcel ones. Might want to also take a look at the 'Gold' edexcel papers

I've done gold and they were relatively easy - mainly because I'm used to edexcel questions now.

Like are they any weird hard ones you might know of?
Original post by studentwiz
can you help me on the last part of this question

Alright I'll do it and post it in a few minutes

This is what I got:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432582327.261256.jpg

Where did you find this question? XD

Lol I subbed B2 in wrong just realised

I got it right but my final answer was just subbed in wrong

The answer for b2 I just worked it out:

(-4/3, -5/3, 2/3)
Original post by Tow
I've done gold and they were relatively easy - mainly because I'm used to edexcel questions now.

Like are they any weird hard ones you might know of?

All the solomons are of a similar difficulty tbh - there isn't really one in particular that is difficult. there is a fairly tricky past paper for c3 and c4 on m4ths.com which may be worth doing.
Original post by Tow

(-4/3, -5/3, 2/3)

For question 5

https://a086a5a2f39bda93734c56a63fab1d7be0a9ba38.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQXE5T2xiNDBRd2s/January%202014%20(IAL)%20QP%20-%20C4%20Edexcel.pdf

2/3y^2 dy = 1/sin^2 2x dx

but I dont seem to be getting C=1/4 I get 1/6 help
Original post by Tow

(-4/3, -5/3, 2/3)

Check out this website. It's got about 150 vector questions with model answers. http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/further_topics/linear_algebra/vector_exam_questions_part_a.pdf
Solomon C3 - paper D, question 3a) part i, can someone explain

https://b3755649dbd1afe3db91a899c3b9837b22326254.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYMG14YWtobVJUUms/for-Edexcel/Solomon%20D%20QP%20-%20C3%20Edexcel.pdf

Probably quite simple as I've forgotten logs since C2
Original post by Medboy100
Solomon C3 - paper D, question 3a) part i, can someone explain

https://b3755649dbd1afe3db91a899c3b9837b22326254.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYMG14YWtobVJUUms/for-Edexcel/Solomon%20D%20QP%20-%20C3%20Edexcel.pdf

Probably quite simple as I've forgotten logs since C2

Simple change of base rule

Log2(x) = ln(x)/ln(2)
= y/ln(2)
I need help with part c of both questions..
Original post by 123456789012
I need help with part c of both questions..

The Qs are essentially asking you to do parametric integration. Have a look at this video first then reply if you're still having issues.
for the parametric last part can someone explain why the answer is x=1

and for the intergration question last part I got pi^3/64 - 1/16pi but the answer is +/1/16 pi can someone show me how?

Sorry I took so long - but here.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432639609.756193.jpg

Remember... a very good piece of advice is when you're trying to find out C, do not times/divide anything until you substitute the values of x and y.

Notice how I left my equation as it was and didn't simplify - this is to avoid any mistakes. Because I could have times C by -3 to rearrange.

The key mistake here is that you then forget to times your answer by -3 later.

So leave it as it is :smile:

My c value is 1/12 which is perfectly right in that equation and I then rearranged to get 1/4
for the parametric last part can someone explain why the answer is x=1

and for the intergration question last part I got pi^3/64 - 1/16pi but the answer is +/1/16 pi can someone show me how?

There's a more mathematical way to look at it hence its only 2 marks.

But to simply explain it, I just used a basic algebraic method to do it - this is the longer version.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432640635.385597.jpg
Original post by Gilo98
The Qs are essentially asking you to do parametric integration. Have a look at this video first then reply if you're still having issues.

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I understand how to do these questions but my working out is usually way too longer than that in the mark scheme. Have a look at the images I'm attaching. Even though I've got the right answer, my working out is unnecessarily long. I also get confused about the limits when it comes to parametric integration. Can you please explain what the mark scheme is trying to say?
Original post by 123456789012
Thanks for the link. Yeah, I understand how to do these questions but my working out is usually way too longer than that in the mark scheme. Have a look at the images I'm attaching. Even though I've got the right answer, my working out is unnecessarily long. I also get confused about the limits when it comes to parametric integration. Can you please explain what the mark scheme is trying to say?

Don't be concerned about the length of your workings. The mark scheme will just include the key lines that ought to be present in ones answer - it would be a waste of time for them to type up a full, thorough solution. I think it is good practice to give thorough answers, it is easier to mark and see where any mistakes have been made.

With parametric integration, the key idea to remember is that you are re-writing something in terms of your parameter. In this case 't' is your parameter, so you must firstly integrate with respect to t (hence the dx/dt dt). But you must also integrate with limits respect to t. Otherwise you would be integrating with respect to t but your limits are irrelevant of t - hence you would get an incorrect answer. That is why you must use the x values they give originally for the limits of integration to find the values of t - you use these new values of t as your limits. I hope this makes sense, although re-reading, I may have said a few things that are mathematically inaccurate.
Reply 638
I have not done any c4 since easter :frown: maths was the only subject where I was aiming for an A*, I really need to do some c4 but I'm busy with other units and subjects ughhhh
Original post by Hudl
I have not done any c4 since easter :frown: maths was the only subject where I was aiming for an A*, I really need to do some c4 but I'm busy with other units and subjects ughhhh

This was me a few days ago; it took me 4 days to get back to getting an A on the June '08 paper (that's what I'm aiming for).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending