The Student Room Group

Higher psychology 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lunamorrissey
Anyone got any predictions on what the questions will be fore the old higher:frown: very stressed trying to balance psychology and sociology! regret leaving it so late!!!!

I think for Conformity & Obedience it may be a question on factors involved in conformity. I've got sociology aswell! Who would even put sociology and psychology a day apart?
anyone got any predictions for atypical question?
I'm baaaaackkk! :smile: and yes stressing out about psychology! Haven't touched it for a while since chemistry was yesterday.. Research unit wise I think I'm okay with. I'm actually feeling so lucky that I've done that investigation now!
I'm just going to revise all the topics mainly the mandatory ones. Obedience and conformity I think will definitely come up and ask about explaining and evaluating a research study. So that could be Asch or even Milgram. Anyone in the new higher studying the mandatory unit Sleep and Dreams, as we have barely any thing to help us predict questions I'm thinking it's going to be asking about the approaches or evaluating theories. Hopefully the essay questions will be simple and clear for us to immediately understand! :smile:
Original post by swimfr33
I'm just going to revise all the topics mainly the mandatory ones. Obedience and conformity I think will definitely come up and ask about explaining and evaluating a research study. So that could be Asch or even Milgram. Anyone in the new higher studying the mandatory unit Sleep and Dreams, as we have barely any thing to help us predict questions I'm thinking it's going to be asking about the approaches or evaluating theories. Hopefully the essay questions will be simple and clear for us to immediately understand! :smile:

thanks :smile: i just want these exams over and done with, so i can have my life back :') sociology will be fine its psychology im stressing out about. See for the topic stress what are the long term effects of it?
Original post by rubyrubyruby1
thanks :smile: i just want these exams over and done with, so i can have my life back :':wink: sociology will be fine its psychology im stressing out about. See for the topic stress what are the long term effects of it?

Do you have the leckie&leckie higher psychology guide?
Do you have the leckie&leckie higher psychology guide?

nope :frown:
Okay I do! And it's got it. I tried to upload a photo of the page but it's not working :frown:
Long term health effects:
•trigger for mental illness
•stomach ulcers
•risk of hypertension, coronary heart disease and heart attacks.
•diseases of adaptation
•appearance -blotchy complexion and hair loss.
•depression and anxiety
I do not want to get sued by the leckie company but it's copyrighted so I can't have it in full... But I have the main parts! Hope that was helpful!
(edited 8 years ago)
Okay I do! And it's got it. I tried to upload a photo of the page but it's not working :frown:
I'll just type it for you:
"Long-term stress is usually called chronic stress. As stress lasts longer, health effects tend to become more serious and can cause lasting damage. People are likely to suffer from what Selye (1956) called diseases of adaption, such as heart disease. Appearance can be affected with skin conditions such as psoriasis, likely to worsen when a person is stressed.

Psychologically, a person's mood is likely to suffer, leaving them prone to anxiety and depression. Stress can be the triggering factor in a number of mental illnesses including Schizophrenia and eating disorders. Mumford et al. (1991) found that among Asian girls in the UK, those who were most traditional in their dress and outlook were more susceptible to eating disorders, perhaps because of a greater "culture clash" making life more stressful.

Brady (1958) showed that "executive" monkeys developed stomach ulcers when given a task requiring constant vigilance to avoid shocks. If the monkey failed to press a button with in 20s a shock was delivered. A control group showed that it was the stress of the task, not the shocks themselves, which led to the ulcers.

In humans this may link to jobs which require focussed attention for long periods. When Johansson (1978) studied workers in a Swedish sawmill, they found that one group of workers had high levels of responsibility and a monotonous task (the stage of finishing/processing the timber which was monotonous but important). Thy also worked in a social situation. These workers were found to have raised levels of stress hormones and to take more days off sick than a control group."
"Long term health effects:
•trigger for mental illness
•stomach ulcers
•risk of hypertension, coronary heart disease and heart attacks.
•diseases of adaptation
•appearance -blotchy complexion and hair loss.
•depression and anxiety"
-leckie & leckie Ltd

Thank you so much!! :biggrin:
Welcome!
Reply 30
Conformity seems to be a fairly safe bet I recon. I would say for the attachment part that Behaviourist view of attachment (classical and operant conditioning + research from the likes of Schaffer and Emerson) is most likely. Im betting on Working Memory Model for the Memory part. However, could other please share their input to my predictions, and any other relevant points? Thank you!
Original post by jgilius
Conformity seems to be a fairly safe bet I recon. I would say for the attachment part that Behaviourist view of attachment (classical and operant conditioning + research from the likes of Schaffer and Emerson) is most likely. Im betting on Working Memory Model for the Memory part. However, could other please share their input to my predictions, and any other relevant points? Thank you!

I agree with you on conformity. I think for attachment Ainsworth and daycare might come up. I'm doing stress so I'm hoping something easy and straightforward comes up like strategies to cope with stress.
What are the factors which cause conformity? Is it like Legitimate Authority, Gradual commitment and Agency theory sheet or something else? I have so many handouts...
What are the factors which cause conformity? Is it like Legitimate Authority, Gradual commitment and Agency theory sheet or something else? I have so many handouts...

noo lol thats for obediance. Factors for conformity could be situational like size of majority. It could be Individual such as gender, low self esteem and personality. It could also be cultural.
what study could i use to support the behaviorist view other than Schaffer and Emerson?
Oh oops i meant to put obedience sorry! I just finished writing a conformity question.. :s-smilie:
what study could i use to support the behaviorist view other than Schaffer and Emerson?

In which topic is this? :smile:
In which topic is this? :smile:

attachment :smile:
attachment :smile:

I keep forgetting you're studying the old higher aha! Although at least if there is any more psychologists out there doing the new higher I would be happy to help! Btw there's Harlow (1959) for behaviourist approach of the infant monkeys and wire "mother" - this was in my higher human biology textbook as well :smile:
I keep forgetting you're studying the old higher aha! Although at least if there is any more psychologists out there doing the new higher I would be happy to help! Btw there's Harlow (1959) for behaviourist approach of the infant monkeys and wire "mother" - this was in my higher human biology textbook as well :smile:

aha yeah it can get confusing :smile: Thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending