The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jf1994
problem.png

On question B, I set x = sin5theta and found sin5theta to be equal to -1/2

But how do I find theta when I'm not given a range? Do I just pick the 5 smallest values for theta?

theta is within -pi and pi in complex numbers
Original post by mmms95
theta is within -pi and pi in complex numbers

'Doh!'

I really hope Proof by Induction of DeMoivre's Theorem comes up - it would be a few quick, easy marks!
That said, I don't think it will, since it was on a recent paper...
Original post by Emmi12345
I really hope Proof by Induction of DeMoivre's Theorem comes up - it would be a few quick, easy marks!
That said, I don't think it will, since it was on a recent paper...

Do you remember which paper that was? I don't remember doing it, unless I skipped that question :s-smilie:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Do you remember which paper that was? I don't remember doing it, unless I skipped that question :s-smilie:

Edexcel FP2 June 2013 question 4a)

https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f59059ccce5cd0f1e.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdHIxUkJmdndfMlE/June%202013%20QP%20-%20FP2%20Edexcel.pdf

Thanks. :smile: Yeah it seems unlikely that it'll come up two years later; however it seems reasonably likely that we could be asked to prove the theorem for negative integers (given that it's true for the positives). Not quite as straightforward but very easy to learn.
I have a strong feeling we'll be asked to draw some polar curves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jf1994
Also :tongue:

approximation.png

Part c, how do you go about finding approximation values for something like that?

Anyone know this?
Original post by jf1994
Anyone know this?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3156193&page=11&p=56297417#post56297417 i asked this question before, hope that helps :smile:
Thanks. :smile: Yeah it seems unlikely that it'll come up two years later; however it seems reasonably likely that we could be asked to prove the theorem for negative integers (given that it's true for the positives). Not quite as straightforward but very easy to learn.

I really don't understand the proof for negative integers. Can somebody please explain? Or direct to a good source of info about it? Thank you :smile:
Original post by kingaaran
I have a strong feeling we'll be asked to draw some polar curves.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely, definitely. It mentions it on the spec, but it's not come up, so I think it's highly likely.
Anyone have a list of all the area/volume formulae for different shapes we might need to know?
Reply 132
useful material for the upcoming exams

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3353445
I really don't understand the proof for negative integers. Can somebody please explain? Or direct to a good source of info about it? Thank you
Original post by tggfootymad
I really don't understand the proof for negative integers. Can somebody please explain? Or direct to a good source of info about it? Thank you

At what point does the explanation in the textbook cease being followable for you?
At what point does the explanation in the textbook cease being followable for you?

Doh. I'm an idiot, didn't realise it was in the textbook. Apologies! Do I literally have to learn the steps in the book, which make sense. It's a bit different in terms of the other proof, is that just because the negative integer one is not a proof by induction?
Doh. I'm an idiot, didn't realise it was in the textbook. Apologies! Do I literally have to learn the steps in the book, which make sense. It's a bit different in terms of the other proof, is that just because the negative integer one is not a proof by induction?

Yeah just learning it should be fine :smile: Exactly; I think you can actually prove it by induction by doing k - 1 instead of k + 1, but the way they prove it is slightly faster.
Yeah just learning it should be fine :smile: Exactly; I think you can actually prove it by induction by doing k - 1 instead of k + 1, but the way they prove it is slightly faster.

Ok, thanks :smile:

On the 2013 proof, they stated to prove by induction. They wouldn't do that for negative integers would they? As then I really would be confused!
On the 2013 proof, they stated to prove by induction. They wouldn't do that for negative integers would they? As then I really would be confused!

No; they may seem to enjoy challenging people lately but I don't think they're allowed to ask that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending