The Student Room Group

Further maths - FP1, FP2, FM1 second year, after FM1, FS1 1st year

(Edexcel)
As some background, I am predicted A* in all A levels, and I am wondering if it is a good idea to switch to doing FP1, FP2 and FM1 after FM1 and FS1 in the 1st year. I already have a high workload but it can increase a little bit.
To note, the option of doing further pure modules was not available in the 1st year.
I also know that doing three is unnecessary but I would like something extra for my personal statement and I also just enjoy Maths!
Also, I have done Olympiads (BMO1, BMO2) and I learnt the number theory needed for FP1 and FP2.

Is it a wise decision to switch to doing these courses, or should I stay on the ones I already have, where I am already getting A*s?
Reply 1
Original post by alboze
(Edexcel)
As some background, I am predicted A* in all A levels, and I am wondering if it is a good idea to switch to doing FP1, FP2 and FM1 after FM1 and FS1 in the 1st year. I already have a high workload but it can increase a little bit.
To note, the option of doing further pure modules was not available in the 1st year.
I also know that doing three is unnecessary but I would like something extra for my personal statement and I also just enjoy Maths!
Also, I have done Olympiads (BMO1, BMO2) and I learnt the number theory needed for FP1 and FP2.

Is it a wise decision to switch to doing these courses, or should I stay on the ones I already have, where I am already getting A*s?

I wouldn't - what are you planning to apply for? I think reading outside the A level spec would be far better than more A level options.
Original post by alboze
(Edexcel)

If you enjoy maths, I see no harm in reading up on the material in FP1 and FP2 as that is really just reading around the subject imo.

I am sitting FP1, FM1 and FS1 this year - FP1 is by far my favourite of the optional papers. In my experience of doing three optional modules in just one year with some prior knowledge, I would not recommend taking on three because it leaves you a lot less time to give each module attention when you are revising at the very end. If you want to do FP2, then you have to do FP1 and I’d recommend dropping FM1 (though you aren’t needed to).

You should be fine doing just FM1 and FS1, but if you are struggling with or aren’t terribly interested in either, it’s fair to switch one or both out if you so choose.
Reply 3
Original post by TypicalNerd
If you enjoy maths, I see no harm in reading up on the material in FP1 and FP2 as that is really just reading around the subject imo.

I am sitting FP1, FM1 and FS1 this year - FP1 is by far my favourite of the optional papers. In my experience of doing three optional modules in just one year with some prior knowledge, I would not recommend taking on three because it leaves you a lot less time to give each module attention when you are revising at the very end. If you want to do FP2, then you have to do FP1 and I’d recommend dropping FM1 (though you aren’t needed to).

You should be fine doing just FM1 and FS1, but if you are struggling with or aren’t terribly interested in either, it’s fair to switch one or both out if you so choose.

Ok ill just do all of them then. I looked through FP2 and it seems I already know a good portion so I should be fine :smile:
Original post by alboze
Ok ill just do all of them then. I looked through FP2 and it seems I already know a good portion so I should be fine :smile:

Errrr… by that do you mean FP1, FP2, FM1 and FS1 (4 optional modules which translates to 6 exams for further maths alone)?

I would definitely NOT recommend doing that.
Reply 5
Original post by TypicalNerd
Errrr… by that do you mean FP1, FP2, FM1 and FS1 (4 optional modules which translates to 6 exams for further maths alone)?

I would definitely NOT recommend doing that.

No, I meant FM1, FP1 and FP2. Doing all of them would be incredibly idiotic haha. I would have preferred to do FS1 instead of FM1 but my school does not allow that.

Quick Reply

Latest