The Student Room Group

Invigilators

What do invigilators actually do? can they help with questions? i saw one explain a question to a student for the history exam i did. I didn't think he would know what he was talking about. I always request for an actual teacher.
Till now i thought they are there just to maintain order in the exam hall...but can't teachers just do that?

Scroll to see replies

Invigilators make sure an exam is carried out professionally with no cheating, say we had our teachers for invigilators, the chances are they'd be helping us and stuff.
Reply 2
Original post by iMacJack
Invigilators make sure an exam is carried out professionally with no cheating, say we had our teachers for invigilators, the chances are they'd be helping us and stuff.

but teachers are still in the exam room, when i request a teacher I can ask the teacher a question and they'll usually tell me.
They'll only give small answers of course.
Original post by DTonesXD
but teachers are still in the exam room, when i request a teacher I can ask the teacher a question and they'll usually tell me.

Well then your school are extremely corrupt as teachers are in no way allowed in the exam room at the time of an exam
Reply 4
Your exam process sounds different to mine :/
Invigilators can't help us. If we don't understand a question they can't hint us or anything, they just say maybe re think it and do your best (if they're nice).
Other than that, invigilators for us get us either tissues or equipment. They make sure we don't cheat at all too.

Our teachers are never in the hall though?

Yeah this happens at my school too
Our teachers are always in the exam hall
Reply 6
wow i thought it was a norm for teachers to be in the exam hall! Pretty much every exam i've had the teacher was in the exam hall (even if it was just 10 minutes at the start and 10 minutes at the end, they managed to help me).

yeh, the invigilators give stuff to us as well
Reply 7
Not a single teacher in our hall in case they helped people. Invigilators aren't allowed to help with questions, but can clarify doubts
Reply 8
well clarify doubts i'd considered helping
for example; i put dusseldorf pirates on the history exam. I asked one of the teachers and she said it was actually edelweiss
well clarify doubts i'd considered helping
for example; i put dusseldorf pirates on the history exam. I asked one of the teachers and she said it was actually edelweiss

That's still being given an unfair advantage to other students across the country when your teacher is helping you gain more marks when they're not even allowed in the exam hall
Reply 10
That's still being given an unfair advantage to other students across the country when your teacher is helping you gain more marks when they're not even allowed in the exam hall

i honestly had no idea that they weren't allowed in the exam hallgenuinely thought it was the norm

wtf so your school can cheat?
i honestly had no idea that they weren't allowed in the exam hallgenuinely thought it was the norm

Lol, I'm not attacking you, lol it's not normal, it's cheating, especially when they're giving you help

I was going to say.......what school do you go to.........i think they need reporting because thats 100% cheating
Original post by Magicaltoaster
I was going to say.......what school do you go to.........i think they need reporting because thats 100% cheating

I doubt he will be giving his school name any time soon lolol
I always request for an actual teacher.

You school is cheating. The rules ban teachers from communicating with candidates during an exam
(Extract from rules, I've put the bold on)
Under no circumstances may members of centre staff:
be present at the start of the examination and then sit and read the examination question paper before leaving the exam room
enter the exam room, uninvited, with the sole intention of accessing the examination question paper;
have access to the examination question paper unless this is specifically requested by either the exams officer or an invigilator. For example, a possible printing error has been identified and, in the absence of an erratum notice, the exams officer needs this verified by the relevant subject teacher before escalating the issue to the awarding body;
give any indication of their opinion of a question paper to candidates, verbally or otherwise, having been asked to inspect the content;
communicate with candidates, except in Art timed tests and Science Practical examinations, or where maintaining discipline in the examination room. This constraint extends to coaching candidates, reminding candidates which section(s) of the question paper to answer or which questions they should answer;• enter the examination room and approach candidates, either to prompt them to make an attempt at the examination or to provide support and encouragement;
enter the examination room and read candidates’ scripts.
Wow. This is OK for like end of year exams etc but 100% completely unfair cheating for any public exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Well damn. Wasn't expecting this whatsoever.
Some teachers do it by the book, some don't.
My school is rated outstanding by ofsted. And I'll. be attending it for 6th form. So, yeh of course I won't say the name lol
Well damn. Wasn't expecting this whatsoever.
Some teachers do it by the book, some don't.
My school is rated outstanding by ofsted. And I'll. be attending it for 6th form. So, yeh of course I won't say the name lol

Inspection don't usually take place during examinations, whether they are rated outstanding or not is not the issue but that your centre does not follow common rules and guidelines.
Your school didn't choose the thuglife,the thuglife chose it:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest