The Student Room Group

Exam Invigilator

Has anyone done this job? How was it/what did it pay/etc?
Reply 1
I know that at my school it's about £7.20 an hour, must be a really boring job though!
Reply 2
~Viola~
I know that at my school it's about £7.20 an hour, must be a really boring job though!

Apparently not. During my 90 min Biology exam, the invigilator was playing Sodoku! Admittedly only two of us were taking the exam, but it was funny nonetheless.
CCJ
Apparently not. During my 90 min Biology exam, the invigilator was playing Sodoku! Admittedly only two of us were taking the exam, but it was funny nonetheless.

That's a breach of the examination conditions. If you had reported it to the examinations officer, he/she would have been dismissed.
Reply 4
Mr M
That's a breach of the examination conditions. If you had reported it to the examinations officer, he/she would have been dismissed.

Really? I'll remember that.
CCJ
Really? I'll remember that.

Are you planning a vendetta against anyone who scowls at you during an exam then?
Mr M
The standard Suffolk LEA rate is £7.36 per hour. I have seen up to £10 per hour quoted elsewhere. The hours are casual.

Senior invigilators are paid a little more - they may lead the session and sometimes do administration such as organising labels or putting papers in candidate number order and posting them off.

Is it pretty easy to get such a job? (if you have school experience)
la fille danse
Is it pretty easy to get such a job? (if you have school experience)

Yes. You also have the advantage of having a CRB already (if you are staying in the same LEA).

It is difficult for schools to retain invigilators as many find other jobs during the course of the year and they always need to recruit again for each Summer examination season.
Reply 8
Mr M
Are you planning a vendetta against anyone who scowls at you during an exam then?

Knowledge is power :wink:
I wonder if there is an age limit on this, because I'm starting year 12 again somewhere else next year, so essentially me staying on at my current sixth form this year is just to get a head start. I wonder if they'll employ me as an invigilator... I'm gonna ask them, they know my abilities... I want to make money for university which is in 2.5 years.

Any ideas if they would?
It would be boring, standing around listening to pens on paper for about 2 hours.

Our invigilators haha. One was the Deputy Head teachers son, another was a pupils mother! Then you get the odd middle age woman caked in make-up, chewing and stinking of a very strong perfume!
moneyballs2
I wonder if there is an age limit on this, because I'm starting year 12 again somewhere else next year, so essentially me staying on at my current sixth form this year is just to get a head start. I wonder if they'll employ me as an invigilator... I'm gonna ask them, they know my abilities... I want to make money for university which is in 2.5 years.

Any ideas if they would?

I very much doubt it.

The vacancy I've applied for says "This type of work would suit a BEd student, college lecturer, student with school experience or a previous exam invigilator."
Reply 12
Original post by ~Viola~

I did exam invigilating for 5 years and we got paid £ 11 an hour it depends what school you work in

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending