The Student Room Group

Law AS LEVEL 22nd May AQA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jampot98
Another thing mentioned in the textbook that must be proved is that there is no other explanation for the injury/damages caused to the claimant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
Well that was awful
Felt I did really well in section a and not do well in section b but let's see. I felt I did much better than last year so there's that and I jus needed to pick up marks which I Felt I did really well in unit 1. Still got unit 3 left so let's see
Plz tell me you guys put assault (shooting pistol in air scaring him) occasining abh (him bleeding and falling) then Gbh for the brain damage
Original post by samwillettsxxx
Plz tell me you guys put assault (shooting pistol in air scaring him) occasining abh (him bleeding and falling) then Gbh for the brain damage

I put s47 for it but didn't bother referencing the assault and battery parts, I think I may of lost marks for that? I put GBH for brain damage yes
Guys I put recklessness as when the defendant shows reckless behaviour and dosent know the consequences of his actions? Is thisok
Phew I thought I was the only one who put ABH for the air pistol wound

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WaywardWriter
Phew I thought I was the only one who put ABH for the air pistol wound

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope pretty sure that's right as in savage and parmenter (an ABH case) slight bleeding occurred that's how I worked it out
Nope pretty sure that's right as in savage and parmenter (an ABH case) slight bleeding occurred that's how I worked it out

Yay. Finally someone who sees my point of view. A few of my friends put it as gbh because the bleeding threw them off and they automatically saw it as GBH. even though it clear states that he was only slightly injured

Posted from TSR Mobile
I spent 5 minutes of my precious exam time exuberantly reading into the scenario and the wording in questions 03 and 04. From my external independent study before hand I found that S47 can occur through skin abrasions, i.e grazes and such things that do not break all layers of the skin. I remembered seeing that minor wounds don't have to amount to a S20/S18 either - like a paper cut or a pin prick, however from my own experience using an air rifle (and consequently being shot by one in the back of the leg accidentally), the bleeding caused by it, even worded as 'bled lightly' in the scenario, must have sensibly amounted to wounding for a S20/S18, obviously such a close range pellet shot would have broken all layers of the skin so that is what I wrote about. Obviously brain damage can amount to the 'serious harm' needed for GBH, so no questions there.

In retrospect, I personally think AQA may have intended it to be S47, but also in retrospect I've looked at many legal definitions to see if the wording 'bled lightly' could have been anything other than S20/18, which it couldn't have been via how the real act intended it to be. So if AQA mark it for only S47 I would suggest contesting the validity of the mark scheme towards the specification and the law in real life. I think they might allow both S20/18 and S47, and give credit for both, however this wouldn't explain repeating the essay for question 04 on the brain damage, so I'm lost on the thinking and wording behind the exam paper for those two questions. Everything else was flawless.

Just to add, neither of the questions required students to apply causation as AQA would have asked if Ahmed had caused any injury to Julian, it stated in the question that Ahmed had already caused both the injury in the shooting and the brain damage and it just wanted you to discuss their criminal liability.
Reply 170
Originally put s47 first then crossed out when I seen blood and put a s20 but talked about assault s39 also. Gutted.
I said it was s.18 for then first one as Ahmed intended to be reckless and cause GBH and then said then brain damage was s.49 because there was no wound. Am I completely wrong?!?!
I put the first as assault/battery amounting to ABH
And then the second as GBH
My law teacher thinks this is likely to be the right way
Hope it all went ok for everyone! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yaaaaaaaaas! i did! i put s47 occasioning abh for first and then s20 gbh.
Original post by neal95
Felt I did really well in section a and not do well in section b but let's see. I felt I did much better than last year so there's that and I jus needed to pick up marks which I Felt I did really well in unit 1. Still got unit 3 left so let's see

same! how do you feel about unit 3? im risking it for the evaluation section and only revising evaluation on non fatal offences and manslaughter/murder. am i being stupid do you think??? i need atleast a B for a level law
Original post by theTeddyBearx
yaaaaaaaaas! i did! i put s47 occasioning abh for first and then s20 gbh.

I put Gbh explained s.20 then I said the courts would consider s.18 in light of the really serious injuries idk tho
Gooood!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by theTeddyBearx
same! how do you feel about unit 3? im risking it for the evaluation section and only revising evaluation on non fatal offences and manslaughter/murder. am i being stupid do you think??? i need atleast a B for a level law

I don't mind learning about unit 3 as it's more in depth version of criminal from unit 2 haha! But I haven't looked at the material in ages so I need to try and write model answers without the application to make sure I pick up all available non app marks lol. I think if you do 3 you should be okay but if you have more time I guess you could go over more lol. Same I need a B minimum overall want an A really though. I needed 43 marks from 3 papers to get it though so I need to smash unit 3
Original post by WaywardWriter
Yay. Finally someone who sees my point of view. A few of my friends put it as gbh because the bleeding threw them off and they automatically saw it as GBH. even though it clear states that he was only slightly injured

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then even after I considered it being assault occasioning ABH, I saw the next question (brain damage) and just knew it must be that as they couldn't ask GBH twice
Then even after I considered it being assault occasioning ABH, I saw the next question (brain damage) and just knew it must be that as they couldn't ask GBH twice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plus in question 5 they told you one of the offences was either way and the other was indictable
Original post by neal95
I don't mind learning about unit 3 as it's more in depth version of criminal from unit 2 haha! But I haven't looked at the material in ages so I need to try and write model answers without the application to make sure I pick up all available non app marks lol. I think if you do 3 you should be okay but if you have more time I guess you could go over more lol. Same I need a B minimum overall want an A really though. I needed 43 marks from 3 papers to get it though so I need to smash unit 3

true true... and same haha, i plan to start revising thoroughly from today. but yeah i think we should definitely make sure we bank the non-application questions marks so model answers are best to revise from for these type of questions haha. don't worry, i'm sure youll get a B undoubtedly, just keep revising and take regular breaks, plus unit 3 is quite easy anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending