The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

So I was looking at the grade boundaries. On a practice paper I got 38/50 for the written paper and 17/25 for the multiple choice (these are first attempts). That gives me 55/75, where an A is 53 marks. All fine and dandy.

But then why does it say in the grade boundary page, that 34/50 is an A for the written paper. Does this have any significance at all?
Original post by AR_95
So I was looking at the grade boundaries. On a practice paper I got 38/50 for the written paper and 17/25 for the multiple choice (these are first attempts). That gives me 55/75, where an A is 53 marks. All fine and dandy.

But then why does it say in the grade boundary page, that 34/50 is an A for the written paper. Does this have any significance at all?

None at all, only your overall mark counts! They just show these to give people some idea on how they did with each section :smile:
Reply 2422
Original post by AR_95

You're the second person to ask this, which makes me unsure lol!

I think your mark is just the total on both sections. That should comply with the grade boundaries. I think the mark for an A given is just a guideline :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lau14
19 - this is mostly a look at your formula sheet question!
A. C = Q/V, so this is correct
B. There are two charged parallel plates, so there is a uniform field - correct.
C. Q = CV - it is directly proportional, so this is incorrect and the answer you want!
D. E = 0.5CV2 so this is also correct.

Original post by CD223
Question 15:
Energy is transferred when movement is parallel or perpendicular to field lines for gravitational and electric fields.

The overall energy transferred only depends on the start and finish points of a particular path followed by a charge/mass. It is independent of the path followed.

In other words, for example, you can move an object away from and towards Earth as many times as you want, but the overall work done only depends on the distance between the start and finish points. Each time you move the object away from Earth, work is done. Each time you move it back towards earth, energy is released. But the overall energy transferred is the only dependent on the distance moved between the start and finish points. Energy is always conserved but just transferred from one form to another.

Question 19:
The capacitance, C, of a capacitor is defined as:
[br]C=QV[br][br]C = \dfrac{Q}{V}[br]

Or in words as the "charge stored per unit potential difference applied across two plates". So A is true.

A uniform potential difference exists between the two plates. As such, a uniform electric field exists between the two plates. B is also true.

The energy stored on a capacitor is:
[br]E=12CV2[br][br]E = \dfrac{1}{2} CV^2[br]

So D is true.

HOWEVER, rearranging the equation for capacitance:
[br]Q=CV[br][br]Q = CV[br]

So C is incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you guys! I would have repped you but apparently I need to rep other people first :wink:

I had a complete oversight with question 19 I was having one of those moments haha! But explained very well nonetheless :smile:
Reply 2424
Original post by aprocrastinator
Thank you guys! I would have repped you but apparently I need to rep other people first :wink:

I had a complete oversight with question 19 I was having one of those moments haha! But explained very well nonetheless :smile:

Just glad it makes sense now! Really need to prioritise PHYA4 soon but I've got 3 exams before that :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are people averaging on their tests for PH4?

My average mark for written paper has been around say 36/50 and for the multiple choice it's been 17/25
Original post by AR_95

My average mark for written paper has been around say 36/50 and for the multiple choice it's been 17/25

Around 20 for the multiple choice, 39 for the written paper. Had full UMS on 4/8 papers that I've done though!
Original post by AR_95

Averaging about 20 on multiple choice and 30 on written. Only trying to get a C/B though

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was just having a look at the specification for this exam and I saw under the electromagnetic induction section a bullet point that says ' simple experimental phenomena,' just wondering what this means? Does it mean generators and moving magnets through coils and stuff? I hate it when the spec is vague. :/ gives them more room to give us nasty surprises on the exam... :angry:
I want to make this clear -

If you want an A or A* you must get the correct grade for both the written and the MC. If you got A lot more on the written (enough for an OVERALL A) but the MC didn't surpass 19/20 (whatever the A MC boundary is) You will not get the full A.

I am aiming for an A*, I will do the MC first because I feel like I go through it faster than 45 Minutes making each mark I attain more time efficient and since I feel like I do better on MC psychologically I will feel better going into the written knowing (or thinking lol) that I've completed the MC to a good standard. A lot of people say you should do the written first but that's just down to personal preference.

I'm 100% sure this paper will be as difficult as the 2014 paper. Happy revising everyone!
Original post by CD223
Just glad it makes sense now! Really need to prioritise PHYA4 soon but I've got 3 exams before that :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just need more time in general :s-smilie:
Reply 2431
Original post by Kennethm

If you want an A or A* you must get the correct grade for both the written and the MC. If you got A lot more on the written (enough for an OVERALL A) but the MC didn't surpass 19/20 (whatever the A MC boundary is) You will not get the full A.

I am aiming for an A*, I will do the MC first because I feel like I go through it faster than 45 Minutes making each mark I attain more time efficient and since I feel like I do better on MC psychologically I will feel better going into the written knowing (or thinking lol) that I've completed the MC to a good standard. A lot of people say you should do the written first but that's just down to personal preference.

I'm 100% sure this paper will be as difficult as the 2014 paper. Happy revising everyone!

Woah I never knew this. Pressures on :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Woah I never knew this. Pressures on :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yah just when you thought it wouldn't get any worse.

What did you think of the 2014 paper?
Reply 2433
Yah just when you thought it wouldn't get any worse.

What did you think of the 2014 paper?

2014 was okay I suppose. The MC was hard first time round as a mock in December but I re-did it the other day and it was a load more manageable haha.

How are you feeling for next Thursday?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is quite simply not true! It is only your overall mark for that paper that impacts what ums and therefore what grade you get :smile:
Original post by gcsestuff
Averaging about 20 on multiple choice and 30 on written. Only trying to get a C/B though

Posted from TSR Mobile

I need to scrape a B (84 UMS) on both papers to get into Uni, otherwise it's clearing for me
Original post by AR_95
I need to scrape a B (84 UMS) on both papers to get into Uni, otherwise it's clearing for me

I only need to get two high E's for my C that I need for my apprenticeship/uni after I smashed the Isas this year.

Just watching video lectures atm and when I have a break then I'm halfway through redoing papers from 02 then I think I'll be ready :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also yeah, 1st time I did Jun 2014 this year I got 38/50 which isn't too bad at all (bearing in mind I got like only 1 mark from the 6 marker rofl)

But when I did it last year in the exam hall I thought it was painful. Tbh if you compare the 2014 paper to ones in the past, I think Jun12 is much harder
Original post by AR_95
Also yeah, 1st time I did Jun 2014 this year I got 38/50 which isn't too bad at all (bearing in mind I got like only 1 mark from the 6 marker rofl)

But when I did it last year in the exam hall I thought it was painful. Tbh if you compare the 2014 paper to ones in the past, I think Jun12 is much harder

I was like that in the exam hall too, if i couldn't see how to do it I panicked and moved straight on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lau14
This is quite simply not true! It is only your overall mark for that paper that impacts what ums and therefore what grade you get :smile:

Yeah, i would say so. Although in maths only 90% uniform marks of the core units, and not the applied units, contribute to the A* grade

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending