The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just finished both Kaiji season 1&2 absolute fantastic watches, was glued to my seat for so long even though i was supposed to be revising
Original post by Princepieman
It was meant to be ironic...

Well, I kind of can, considering that the distribution of ratings on MAL is clustered in the highest rank positions (namely 10, 9, 8). Just voicing my opinion as well. Yeesh.

Just because a large proportion of the people on MAL (idiots) think that 7/10 is average, doesn't mean everyone does.
Reply 9202
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Finished Gundam SEED! Things certainly escalated quickly. :zomg: A good series, and I liked how it ended, so I won't go spoiling it all by rushing to watch SEED Destiny (not in the foreseeable future anyway). :p:

Sticking with mechs, but more of a super robot show this time around, I'll be starting GaoGaiGar. I watched the first episode years ago, but don't remember a thing about it... other than the epic opening theme~

You should watch 0079.:yes: 70s campy fun:giggle: but yet theres that UC seriousness to it too. Surprised you havnt already with all the old obscure stuff you've seen.:tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by vin
You should watch 0079.:yes: 70s campy fun:giggle: but yet theres that UC seriousness to it too. Surprised you havnt already with all the old obscure stuff you've seen.:tongue:

Aimed at me, presumably? :p:

I have this one friend from Aber university days who is a major Gundam fan, and he gave me Turn A and Victory Gundam years ago. I also picked up After War Gundam X at some point. With those and SEED on my backlog, looking for any other Gundam series hasn't been a priority for a long time. :o: I'll certainly get around to it though... one day...
Reply 9204

I have this one friend from Aber university days who is a major Gundam fan, and he gave me Turn A and Victory Gundam years ago. I also picked up After War Gundam X at some point. With those and SEED on my backlog, looking for any other Gundam series hasn't been a priority for a long time. :o: I'll certainly get around to it though... one day...

Starting at the beginning would make more sense.:hmmm: Victory is waaay at the end of it all. But watching from 0079 would be like an anime pilgrimage :tongue:
Original post by MintyMilk
Just because a large proportion of the people on MAL (idiots) think that 7/10 is average, doesn't mean everyone does.

Lol I will admit that many people on mal do rate shows extremely highly. 5/10 is average, not a 7/10 XD, it even states that on the site so I can't see how so many people consider a 7/10 as average and anything below that to be rubbish.
Original post by Omar717
Lol I will admit that many people on mal do rate shows extremely highly. 5/10 is average, not a 7/10 XD, it even states that on the site so I can't see how so many people consider a 7/10 as average and anything below that to be rubbish.

A 7 is definitely above average (no pun intended) my personal view on average is 5/6. 7 is "just OK" an 8 is "very good but 2/3 problems" 9 is "fantastic barring 1 issue" and 10 is "utter masterpiece".

MAL's voting system is slightly flawed but is getting better than it used to be.
Original post by Omar717

IMO it's all relative - I don't normally pick up a series unless it looks remotely entertaining, so I give out very few ratings of 2/5 or below (4/10 to use MAL's system, but I'm on A-P), reserving them only for the rare series that start out good but end up disappointing horribly. But few shows are perfect, and as a result, the rating I give out most often is 3.5/5 (7/10). Guess I've unconsciously come to consider that 'my average' over time. And I do tend to rant about anything I've rated ~3, because they're lacking compared with the 4-5s (despite proving entertaining enough that I haven't dropped them). :p:
(edited 8 years ago)

You may want to hold off on Turn A and Victory until you've seen some of the earlier UC stuff - end of Turn A definitely benefits from having some knowledge of earlier series, but it is pretty fun as a stand alone too.

I personally haven't worked up the courage for Victory yet since it is Tomino at his most depressive - I've heard it is pretty bleak. I'll get there eventually I suppose.

On the subject of MAL/A-P rating......just looking at my MAL rating curve - I rarely give above 8's or below 4 it seems :giggle:

Original post by caraniel
You may want to hold off on Turn A and Victory until you've seen some of the earlier UC stuff - end of Turn A definitely benefits from having some knowledge of earlier series, but it is pretty fun as a stand alone too.

I personally haven't worked up the courage for Victory yet since it is Tomino at his most depressive - I've heard it is pretty bleak. I'll get there eventually I suppose.

On the subject of MAL/A-P rating......just looking at my MAL rating curve - I rarely give above 8's or below 4 it seems :giggle:

The whole reason I was given Turn A and Victory Gundam specifically is because said friend wanted me to see what Tomino was like at both extremes - 'high and happy' and 'kill 'em all', if I remember his words correctly. :p: Both have been sitting unwatched on my backlog for about 5 years though, so I guess I could follow your and vin's advice about checking out the earlier stuff first. Though I can't promise I'll do that in a hurry either. :giggle:
It's not too surprising that you'd mainly have ratings of around a 7; I personally drop anything that's not at least a 6 usually. The rest of the shows I have below that are things I've kept watching either because there were only a few episodes left or because the hype around it surely means it will actually get better (nope).

That said, I have a pretty even spread personally (though I just changed lots of it as I use Anime Planet and don't keep my MAL as up to date)

(edited 8 years ago)
Since everyone's posting theirs I guess here's mine:

I have a surprisingly large number of 4s.
Original post by kaihiwatari
A 7 is definitely above average (no pun intended) my personal view on average is 5/6. 7 is "just OK" an 8 is "very good but 2/3 problems" 9 is "fantastic barring 1 issue" and 10 is "utter masterpiece".

MAL's voting system is slightly flawed but is getting better than it used to be.

Yeah, but I don't think there exists an anime that can truly be considered flawless in every regard. When I give out a 10 I consider the pros to greatly out weigh any cons and for the anime to excel in most categories. I don't believe there can be true perfection. Similarly a 9 to me doesn't necessarily mean it only had one issue, but rather that the areas it excelled in overshadow most issues despite the flaws still being evident. For example an anime could have the greatest characters and most complex plot ever written yet could have issues with the animation and music. This type of anime could still gain a 9 or 10 for me if the anime was mostly story and character driven, if you get my point. It also depends on how glaring these issues are as well.

I feel this problem of rating stems from the fact we are trying to quantify qualitative information, which leads to subjectivity in how to go about doing so. This, in turn, causes the issue of mal as each area of analysis is held equally; animation, music, story and characters are all treated as equal. This leads to some ridiculous scores for bad shows just because they have good animation and music, while the story and characters could be severely lacking.

tl;dr critical analysis of anime is weird :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile

One more exam then it's a summer of D greyman and Tokyo Ghoul?
Has anyone seen Tokyo ghoul? I heard it's really dark :erm::eek:
Original post by Kadak
Has anyone seen Tokyo ghoul? I heard it's really dark :erm::eek:

You'll hear a lot of negative things about Tokyo Ghoul if you read about the anime, but the manga is one of the best stories going. I wouldn't really call it dark myself, or a horror like some places call it. It's certainly not a happy story though.

Just for your information, you should probably only watch season 1 of the anime. Season 2 (aka Tokyo Ghoul Root A) was really bad as they left out so much information from the manga that the story doesn't make any sense. After season 1, I'd advise you to read the manga from chapter 1 as they also left out lots of stuff in season 1. Season 1 still works quite well regardless of that though. Oh and make sure you watch the uncensored versions! The original versions that aired on TV had a tonne of awful censorship.
Original post by Omar717
Yeah, but I don't think there exists an anime that can truly be considered flawless in every regard. When I give out a 10 I consider the pros to greatly out weigh any cons and for the anime to excel in most categories. I don't believe there can be true perfection. Similarly a 9 to me doesn't necessarily mean it only had one issue, but rather that the areas it excelled in overshadow most issues despite the flaws still being evident. For example an anime could have the greatest characters and most complex plot ever written yet could have issues with the animation and music. This type of anime could still gain a 9 or 10 for me if the anime was mostly story and character driven, if you get my point. It also depends on how glaring these issues are as well.

I feel this problem of rating stems from the fact we are trying to quantify qualitative information, which leads to subjectivity in how to go about doing so. This, in turn, causes the issue of mal as each area of analysis is held equally; animation, music, story and characters are all treated as equal. This leads to some ridiculous scores for bad shows just because they have good animation and music, while the story and characters could be severely lacking.

tl;dr critical analysis of anime is weird :tongue:

I fully understand where your coming from, for example, neon Genesis evangelion is my favorite anime even though it was flawed in many many ways. I know it's unlikely that there are some anime's that are likely to be flawless. However, the most flawless anime I've came across is full metal alchemist brotherhood. I tried so so hard to find flaws in the story the characters anything and i literally couldn't find anything. I literally wouldn't be able to give you a con of any type if you asked.

For example, i gave attack on titan a 9 even though the characters are very similar to beyblade and the story was rushed at the end. Whereas i have cowboy bebop an 8 due to the fact that half the episodes were done so brilliantly yet the other half was too uninteresting.

But yeah, there usually are pro's and con's in every show, that's what i mean by 1 issue. There is 1 con that usually can't be ignored which stops it from being a 10 (such as a poor second half of a season)
neon Genesis evangelion is my favorite anime

It's been over a year since I last watched any Phi Brain... withdrawal symptoms are kicking in, so I've picked up the manga. :p: I've not got high expectations for it, since it got axed at just two volumes, but no harm in giving it a look. :biggrin:
^ haha.

Although thanks to 'End of Evangelion,' whenever anybody mentions Shinji Ikari, my mind conjures the image of Shinji's 'spunky' hand (OH GOD WHY!?)

I too love Evangelion. Yeah sure it's a nauseatingly pretentious cocktail of Oedipus complexes, Schopenhauer, Christian iconography, kabbalism with a healthy dose of hot spring penguin... but I'll drink it up anyday! Slap an Eva on it and I'm in!

Continuing to watch Arslan no Senki. It's a bit slow, but I'm enjoying the world building. Even if all the nations are hilariously derivative. I'll forgive 'Pars' (basically Persia), but Türkish? Slap an umlaut on it and it's fantasy. I like Narsus and obligatory bishi Gieve. Arslan himself is a bit wet around the ears, but at least he's not a super-serious, 'angry young man' shoenen protagonist.

Also watching Devil is a Part Timer (Hataraku Maō-sama!) on Netflix. I'm on episode 5 at the moment. Even though I don't usually dig anime humour, I found the first 3 episodes genuinely funny. I like the Emilia the Hero character, sort of reminds me of Kurisi from Steins; Gate for some reason. Hope it doesn't turn into some sort of Harem drama though (it probably doesn't).
(edited 8 years ago)
For example, i gave attack on titan a 9 even though the characters are very similar to beyblade and the story was rushed at the end. Whereas i have cowboy bebop an 8 due to the fact that half the episodes were done so brilliantly yet the other half was too uninteresting.

What was uninteresting about the second half of Bebop?

Latest