The Student Room Group

*[B1] Official AQA Biology Unit 1 Exam (5th June Friday)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TigWood
I think the 6 MARK QUESTION could be on preparing uncontaminated culture mediums too! I just need to whiz through IVF and embryo screening and menstrual cycle but they are all pretty simple. We have also got until 12.15 tomorrow to revise!!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE WHO IS SITTING THIS EXAM X

I hope its on culture mediums, easy 6 marks. Just remember, after you state a point (e.g sterilise petri dish by heating it in an oven), say "to kill unwanted bacteria". Also, dont forget to say incubate the culture (at 25C) for the bacteria to grow
Original post by kickboxer 98
Does anyone understand the menstrual cycle? i dont get how it works....

Few things you need to know.

FSH produced in pituitary gland, stimulated maturation of egg
Oestrogen produced by ovary, inhibits FSH, stimulates LH, thickens lining of uterus
LH produced in pituitary Gland, release single matured egg into uterus/womb

Fertility drug (e.g IVF) contains FSH and LH
Contraceptive Drug contains Oestrogen and Progesterone however nowadays some only contain Progesterone as these have fewer side effects.

Hope this helps!! and good luck tomorrow
Reply 22
Original post by Wave_Rider99
I hope its on culture mediums, easy 6 marks. Just remember, after you state a point (e.g sterilise petri dish by heating it in an oven), say "to kill unwanted bacteria". Also, dont forget to say incubate the culture (at 25C) for the bacteria to grow

They could just say to mention about sterilising inoculating loops as an extra but I doubt it!
Does anyone understand the menstrual cycle? i dont get how it works....

the pituitary gland secrete: FSH and LH
Ovaries secrete: Oestrogen and Progesterone

fsh: -causes eggs to mature
-stimulates ovaries to release oestrogen

Oestrogen: -stops fsh production
- stimulates the pituitary gland to release LH

Lh: Matured egg is released from the ovaries.

Progesterone: Maintains uterus lining during the middle part of the menstrual cycle

ANYONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG
Few things you need to know.

FSH produced in pituitary gland, stimulated maturation of egg
Oestrogen produced by ovary, inhibits FSH, stimulates LH, thickens lining of uterus
LH produced in pituitary Gland, release single matured egg into uterus/womb

Fertility drug (e.g IVF) contains FSH and LH
Contraceptive Drug contains Oestrogen and Progesterone however nowadays some only contain Progesterone as these have fewer side effects.

Hope this helps!! and good luck tomorrow

thanks that did help, but i thought IVF helped fertilization out of the body?
Original post by TigWood
They could just say to mention about sterilising inoculating loops as an extra but I doubt it!

nope that is an important point (in the mark scheme) but again, saying to kill unwanted bacteria will get you another mark

The mother is given LH and FSH so the egg can mature and be released. They collect the eggs and fertilise it with sperm from the father. The fertilization part is done OUTSIDE of the body.

what happens is you get given hormones to cause more eggs to release, then these are removed and fertilised (by sperm) outside the body (in a test tube), this causes them to grow into an embryo. One or more embryos are then placed back into the uterus of the mother
what happens is you get given hormones to cause more eggs to release, then these are removed and fertilised (by sperm) outside the body (in a test tube), this causes them to grow into an embryo. One or more embryos are then placed back into the uterus of the mother

dont they use a host?
Original post by bonobong
FSH is released from the pituitarty gland which makes the eggs mature, and starts the production of oestrogen.
Oestrogen is produced in the ovaries and repairs the uterus lining, inhibits the production of FSH and starts the production of LH
LH is released from the pituitary gland and causes ovulation - the release of an egg - into the womb
progesterone maintains the uterus lining for 14 days, where the fertilisation of the egg could occur. If fertilisation doesn't occur the uterus lining is broken down

You dont want to talk about progesterone in the exam for a "descibe the menstrual cycle question" the mark scheme says to ignore any mention of progesterone
dont they use a host?

what do you mean by a host
what do you mean by a host

a host mother, where the embryo is implanted after fertilisation, as the actual mother does not have a hospitable environment
Can you guys give me a way to remember the nervous / reflex system, I keep seeming to forget it. Is there a way of making it stick in my head?
a host mother, where the embryo is implanted after fertilisation, as the actual mother does not have a hospitable environment

so u mean a surrogate mother?

Not that I know, it is replanted back into the mothers womb (or that is what the specification asks for)
[QUOTE="ThatGurl;56592783"]so u mean a surrogate mother?[/QUOTE

whats the difference between a surrogate and host?
Original post by alexas007
Can you guys give me a way to remember the nervous / reflex system, I keep seeming to forget it. Is there a way of making it stick in my head?

Receptor detects change in stimuli
Impulse sent along sensory neurone
Diffusion of impulse across synapse as chemical neurotransmitter onto next neurone
In CNS (relay neurone) which coordinates response.
Synapse and then onto motor neurone
to Effector (muscle contracts or gland releases chemical)

Dont forget to make your answer specific to the question (what is the receptor and stimulus, is the effectroa muscle or gland...)
Reply 37
Would this be right for 6 mark if about culturing?

- Culture done in controlled conditions, preferably a lab to ensure the strain of bacteria being grown is pure to provide accurate results.
- Agar jelly and petri dish is sterilised, normally to exposure of UV light or autoclave in order to kill any bacteria.
- Inoculating loop is placed in bunsen burner, remain until it is bright red, again to kill any bacteria.
- Suspended in the bacteria and streaks made onto the agar jelly.
- Petri dish is closed with tape which has sight openings for oxygen to ensure no harmful anaerobic bacteria grow.
- Petri dish is incubated at around 25 degrees, to ensure optimum temp for bacteria. Any higher could lead to the growth of dangerous bacteria.

Have I left anything out?
Receptor detects change in stimuli
Impulse sent along sensory neurone
Diffusion of impulse across synapse as chemical neurotransmitter onto next neurone
In CNS (relay neurone) which coordinates response.
Synapse and then onto motor neurone
to Effector (muscle contracts or gland releases chemical)

Dont forget to make your answer specific to the question (what is the receptor and stimulus, is the effectroa muscle or gland...)

thank you ((:
Original post by Solar5
Would this be right for 6 mark if about culturing?

- Culture done in controlled conditions, preferably a lab to ensure the strain of bacteria being grown is pure to provide accurate results.
- Agar jelly and petri dish is sterilised, normally to exposure of UV light or autoclave in order to kill any bacteria.
- Inoculating loop is placed in bunsen burner, remain until it is bright red, again to kill any bacteria.
- Suspended in the bacteria and streaks made onto the agar jelly.
- Petri dish is closed with tape which has sight openings for oxygen to ensure no harmful anaerobic bacteria grow.
- Petri dish is incubated at around 25 degrees, to ensure optimum temp for bacteria. Any higher could lead to the growth of dangerous bacteria.

Have I left anything out?

V.Good except:

25C is not optimum, that would be 37C (used in lab). 25C is only for safety in school.
When applying culture, petri dish is open for as little time as possible to reduce chance of contaminating culture with unwanted bacteria from air. Same applies for the sample of bacteria.
Also, closed with tape to stop any unwanted bacteria getting in or for any of the culture to escape

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending