The Student Room Group

OCR S2 (non-mei)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nozzelf78
also for q4i, was the question x< or equal to 6?

I think it was less than or equal to
for q 5, does p=0.0569 > 0.05 therefore do not reject H0 ring any bells? seems like everyone got do not reject H0 but p=0.0569?

Yeah that rings a bell - it was p=0.0569 which is greater than 0.05 so H0 is not rejected
thanks a lot, do you also have any idea for 7i?

Hey Noah, you've worked so hard this year. Just wanted to let you know I've been so proud over looking your progress. All the best for next year when we go our separate ways! Its been a pleasure! Good luck at Oxford!
Nooooo I put 38 for 7ii. Hopefully only lost 1 mark but its probably 2 :/
Do you guys do S2 as a part of Further maths or normal maths?
Original post by Project22
Nooooo I put 38 for 7ii. Hopefully only lost 1 mark but its probably 2 :/

To be honest, you don't have to worry too much since there is a debate whether the answer is 37 or 38 so you could still be right. Even if it was 37, you will probably only lose a mark
Original post by Younjaxx

I'm one of the few that takes it as my A2 Maths module - I don't take Further Maths. I took it because I wasn't allowed to take M1 and really didn't want to take D1, liked S1 last year so just went for it :h:
for q 5, does p=0.0569 > 0.05 therefore do not reject H0 ring any bells? seems like everyone got do not reject H0 but p=0.0569?

also for q4i, was the question x< or equal to 6?

Yep I got that, and x being less than or equal to 6 does sound familiar...

Original post by Rain97
Ya. It wasn't about trains but about the number of points failures that occured in a 3 day period (or weeks, don't know it was 3 smth though). 1 points failure occured every 3 (days) and the question asked for the largest number of points failures that could occur in a 150 day period for H0 to be rejected I think? So X~Po(50), 50>15 so that can be approximated by a normal distribution N(50, 50). Then the P(X</= x +0.5) </= 0.05 so when you standardise it and equate (x+ 0.5- 50)/rt(50) to -1.645 you get x= 37.3...(or smth like that) which rounds down to 37.......... ?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong =|

Haha thought I was going crazy then because I didn't remember anything about trains. I got 38 with a correction of (x-0.5) instead of +0.5 but it seems everyone got 37/38 so you may well be right. :smile:
I remember it being like 38.48 (above 38) so the answer for the highest point failures was 38
Numerical answers I got (in order of appearance and also includes values used of probabilities I used to determine whether to reject the null hypothesis in hypothesis testing).
Question 1: 2 and 146
2iii) 0.222
3i) 6
3ii) 1.5
4: 0.8311 and then 0.2536
5. 0.0569 (do not reject)
6. 0.0249 (for the 11-marker and I rejected Ho)
7i) 0.1236 (do not reject Ho)
7ii) 37
8i) 3.15%
8ii) 0.653
Let me know if you agree!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by randomnes
I remember it being like 38.48 (above 38) so the answer for the highest point failures was 38

Did you add the continuity correction though? I had 38 before I considered that.
Original post by Younjaxx

Further, one of my AS modules alongside M1
Original post by MasterOfTheSwag
Did you add the continuity correction though? I had 38 before I considered that.

Yeah I'm sure I did, I just think some people did the correction wrong
Reply 213
Original post by ferdy118
Numerical answers I got (in order of appearance and also includes values used of probabilities I used to determine whether to reject the null hypothesis in hypothesis testing).
Question 1: 2 and 146
2iii) 0.222
3i) 6
3ii) 1.5
4: 0.8311 and then 0.2536
5. 0.0569 (do not reject)
6. 0.0249 (for the 11-marker and I rejected Ho)
7i) 0.1236 (do not reject Ho)
7ii) 37
8i) 3.15%
8ii) 0.653
Let me know if you agree!

I literally got everything that you got! :biggrin:
Reply 214

I wouldn't be too cocky if I were you. I am pretty sure it was 28.5, because it said fewer than 29.
Reply 215
Original post by MasterOfTheSwag

I got 37 as well, with the continuity correction.
Reply 216

But did you do P(X< x) or P(X</= x)?
Reply 217
Original post by JustaDreamer
Yep I got that, and x being less than or equal to 6 does sound familiar...

Haha thought I was going crazy then because I didn't remember anything about trains. I got 38 with a correction of (x-0.5) instead of +0.5 but it seems everyone got 37/38 so you may well be right. :smile:

Ahaa me too! Yeah true, either way there's probably only 1/2 marks to be lost there so all is cool 😎
I've always been taught to remember it's "my result or more unusual" when conducting a hypothesis test with things like X~Po(50). So we approximated to X~N(50,50) and now in Poisson we would normally do P(X <= x) ("my result" being x, hence less than or equal to) which with a continuity correction becomes P(X < x+0.5) strictly. Following on with the calculation leads me to 37 as the answer. What's the rationale behind 38?
I wanna ask for the question about continuity correction? Should I say no as we can use CLT the sample is large enough? And I think I wrote 38.4:frown: does that means I m not going to be credited if the real answer is 38(37 maybe... I don't know)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending