The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BBeyond
http://gyazo.com/08285872d0df0103cde73e2184be926b

how do i do ii part a? I can get an answer of arcsinx=arsincosy but that is only there allow answer, how would I get the preferred answer of arcsinx=pi/2 - y??

I feel like this may be about drawing the graph - like when you draw arccosx you then can make an expression which takes this into account to express arcsinx - its defo in the book!!!
Original post by BBeyond
http://gyazo.com/08285872d0df0103cde73e2184be926b

how do i do ii part a? I can get an answer of arcsinx=arsincosy but that is only there allow answer, how would I get the preferred answer of arcsinx=pi/2 - y??

Remember, cos(x)=sin(90- x) :smile:
Original post by ThePrestigeUK
If I work quickly I can get papers done in 1hr
thats my strong point in maths I work fast

but its my downfall in d1 where 1 mistake can cost you 5 marks

Oh right, yeah, but particularly for the Cores you can use that to your strength. Good luck for D1 though!
Good luck to everyone doing C3 on Friday, I'll be doing it too!
Anyone know a method for sketching exponentials and ln graphs?
Reply 945
Question 8c January 2012: how do you find the second solution, 11pi/12? I looked at the examsolutions video: why does he assume in the quadrant diagram, that pi - theta is the smaller angle? Didn't we just work out that they are both the same? Everything else is basic to understand, but I just don't get why you put pi - theta as the smaller angle rather than theta + pi/6
Original post by Anon-
Question 8c January 2012: how do you find the second solution, 11pi/12? I looked at the examsolutions video: why does he assume in the quadrant diagram, that pi - theta is the smaller angle? Didn't we just work out that they are both the same? Everything else is basic to understand, but I just don't get why you put pi - theta as the smaller angle rather than theta + pi/6

they are the same but you need to work out the red angle and the green angle for your second solution which is 2thetha=5/6pi +pi then divide by 2 thetha=11/12pi
Just commenting to get updates on thread when people post stuff lol good luck people!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,Guys the question is from differentiation chapter in C3.I can solve the question but there is step i can't do in the question. the question is Question = X^3 x (2X + 6)^4Answer : Let U= X^3 and V= (2X+6)^4dU/dX= 2X^2 and dV/dX = 8(2X+6)^3and so, dY/dX= 8X^3 x (2X+6) + 2X^2 x (2X+6)^4Now, How to solve it further?Reference = C3 Edexcel Chapter 8 Differentiation Exercise 8B Question 1C.Please reply as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.
Reply 949
Original post by Choudhry Walid
Hi,Guys the question is from differentiation chapter in C3.I can solve the question but there is step i can't do in the question. the question is Question = X^3 x (2X + 6)^4Answer : Let U= X^3 and V= (2X+6)^4dU/dX= 2X^2 and dV/dX = 8(2X+6)^3and so, dY/dX= 8X^3 x (2X+6) + 2X^2 x (2X+6)^4Now, How to solve it further?Reference = C3 Edexcel Chapter 8 Differentiation Exercise 8B Question 1C.Please reply as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

I think you're supposed to use the formula if y=f(g(x)), differential= f '(g(x))g '(x) on first page in chapter 8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xy0mz
I think you're supposed to use the formula if y=f(g(x)), differential= f '(g(x))g '(x) on first page in chapter 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

This question is from exercise 8B. And that f(x) formula is for exercise 8A. In exercise 8B we have to use the product rule.
Reply 951
Original post by studentwiz
they are the same but you need to work out the red angle and the green angle for your second solution which is 2thetha=5/6pi +pi then divide by 2 thetha=11/12pi

Yeah I get that, but why do you assume that the red angle is pi - theta and not theta + pi/6?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 952
Original post by iceangel8
Anyone know a method for sketching exponentials and ln graphs?

Any exponential curve of the form Nx will pass through y=1, because N0=1. Also if you have a decent calculator, you can input the exponential function and get a table of values, making it much easier to sketch.
Original post by Anon-
Any exponential curve of the form Nx will pass through y=1, because N0=1. Also if you have a decent calculator, you can input the exponential function and get a table of values, making it much easier to sketch.

What calculator do you need for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 954
Original post by gcsestuff
What calculator do you need for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Works on my Casio FX-82 and FX-991ES Plus, I'm sure it can work on others like the TI-36X
Original post by Anon-
Works on my Casio FX-82 and FX-991ES Plus, I'm sure it can work on others like the TI-36X

Is there a video or manual for it with the Casio 991-E's

Posted from TSR Mobile
I assume you are looking for turning points so dy/dx=0

what you already have (you made a mistake - it is 3X^2)

dY/dX= 8X^3 x (2X+6)^3 + 3X^2 x (2X+6)^4 = 0

factorise

X^2 x (2X + 6)^3 x (8X + 3(2X+6))=0
X^2 x (2X + 6)^3 x (8X + 6X+18)=0
X^2 x (2X + 6)^3 x (14X+18)=0

i.e. X=0, X=-3, X=-9/7

let me know if I made a mistake
Reply 958
Original post by gcsestuff
Is there a video or manual for it with the Casio 991-E's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mode Table input your function here, then use ALPHA ) to get X. In here put the limits of your X values and then in which increments they should go up in
Original post by Anon-

I found it easier to just expand the tan pi-theta to get a quadratic then solve that

Latest

Trending

Trending