The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a.a.k
It says it is held between poles so it must be hovering which means force was upwaeds

Posted from TSR Mobile

I reckon this will be in this years. Only seen it once

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3021
Original post by gcsestuff
I reckon this will be in this years. Only seen it once

Posted from TSR Mobile

In this question i get why it is 224 but dont know why it is negative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NEWT0N
The magntitude of electric force between two point or point-like charges is directly proportional to the product of each charge and inversely proportional to the square of their separation.

Original post by gcsestuff
It's also the equation of force between 2 point charges

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you ^.^
Reply 3023
EDIT: Calculator has a mind of its own.
(edited 8 years ago)
How many UMS do you need or a B across the whole a level? And how many UMS is unit 4, unit 5 and empa out of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a.a.k
In this question i get why it is 224 but dont know why it is negative.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The scale was zeroed after the magnet was placed on the scale. This means that if you take the magnet off the scale then the scale will read negative of the mass of the magnet.
So in the case of reversing and doubling the current, the magnet is lifted up the scale, as if you are taking the magnet off the scale, hence the negative value.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BoigaDendrophila
How many UMS do you need or a B across the whole a level? And how many UMS is unit 4, unit 5 and empa out of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know about the whole A level but the minimum ums for individual units are insanely low

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JM17
EDIT: Calculator has a mind of its own.

Lol, calculator was made a mind for its own

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Yeah, i strongly agree with you. There is quote from John lock:

"It is one thing to say that one is in error and another to put him in the possession of the truth".

I'm actually really proud of you when you suggested your answer without knowing the answer. You shouldn't be depending on what people think of you.
Good luck with your revision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I did put him in the possession of truth....
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Yeah, i strongly agree with you. There is quote from John lock:

"It is one thing to say that one is in error and another to put him in the possession of the truth".

I'm actually really proud of you when you suggested your answer without knowing the answer. You shouldn't be depending on what people think of you.
Good luck with your revision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

His reasoning was not right and I tried to make it very clear to him that his reasoning was not 100% right since it is only a couple of days left till the exam.
He also did not need to say this to the other person as to make him feel as if he's dumb: "come on, that's pretty straight forward"
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by adil1231
But I did put him in the possession of truth....

Original post by adil1231
His reasoning was not right and I tried to make it very clear to him that his reasoning was not 100% right since it is only a couple of days left till the exam.
He also did not need to say this to the other person as to make him feel as if he's dumb: "come on, that's pretty straight forward"

Yes, you did but you didn't need to say that he was wrong. The person asked the question had the mark scheme at hand and so he would know whether anybody's suggestion matches the mark scheme or not. And also he would know eventually if he was wrong.

Well, i don't think his saying that would make anybody feel dumb. The exam is only a few days a head and we should now be able to tackle the problems independently. During the exam there is nobody to help you with the questions. If now you don't want to think hard about a question then you will have difficulty during the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3031
Can't wait to focus on this exam finally after core 4 today is over...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone help me with this question please?

Jan 13 Q 14.png

I understand how A and C are correct but I do not see how B is correct.

And the answer is D.

Thank you in advance. :smile:
Original post by NEWT0N
They're the same thing. Flux is just the amount of flux passing through a loop of wire (one turn), while flux linkage takes into account all the loops that the flux is passing through.

If there was a field passing through a coil with N turns and you were asked for the flux through the coil, you would simply state the flux through one of the coils: BA. On the other hand, if you were asking for the flux linkage (total flux through the coil), you would just add up the flux through each of the N loops to get: BA+BA+BA++BAN terms=N×BA=BAN\underbrace{BA+BA+BA+\cdots +BA}_{N\ \text{terms}}=N\times BA=BAN.

EDIT: Typo

Thanks, makes more sense now :smile:
Can't for the life of me figure out why they've used 3W in the mark scheme instead of 2.7W for question 4biii? Anybody know?

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA4-2-W-QP-JAN10.PDF

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA4-W-MS-JAN10.PDF
Good luck to all my PHYA4 bros/brosettes this Thursday!!

I reckon we'll get an influx of new posters here hehe
Original post by Disney0702
Can someone help me with this question please?

Jan 13 Q 14.png

I understand how A and C are correct but I do not see how B is correct.

And the answer is D.

Thank you in advance. :smile:

If you resolve the forces F and W to the line of force made by T,
T=mgcosθ + EQcos(90-θ)
=> T=mgcosθ+ EQsinθ so B is correct.

I think...
(edited 8 years ago)
Ignore me
(edited 8 years ago)
could anyone help me with 1c june 2013 please? I don't understand the mark scheme.
Can someone please help me with Q3(b)(i) on Jun '13 Section B please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending