The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey teem,

I have got down to paper O. Just wanted to ask if papers after s start to get really hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Medicjug
Hey teem,

I have got down to paper O. Just wanted to ask if papers after s start to get really hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

S and T you miss

then from U they get even harder
The function g is defined by g:x^2 4x + 11, x<=0. (b) Find the range of g.

As it says x<=0, would you substitute 0 into g which gives you 11 and that's the range?
Or do you complete the square of g and then find the range?

I always get confused don't know whether to substitute the range of x they give you to find the range of y or to complete the square/ factorise and then to find the range by drawing the diagram?
im so confused with domain and range questions please help
Do the Solomon papers get harder as you go through them or do they all have much the same difficulty?
Original post by ridirahman

As it says x<=0, would you substitute 0 into g which gives you 11 and that's the range?

I always get confused don't know whether to substitute the range of x they give you to find the range of y or to complete the square/ factorise and then to find the range by drawing the diagram?

I think it always helps to draw it if you can. I am pretty sure you just complete the square then you know the min point is (2,7) on the graph so then it depends on the domain given, no?
Reply 1007
Original post by Artfanatic
I think it always helps to draw it if you can. I am pretty sure you just complete the square then you know the min point is (2,7) on the graph so then it depends on the domain given, no?

Woah what? Do we complete the square to help us?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are these IYGB papers more difficult than a standard paper?
Original post by Artfanatic

The answer is x>=7
So every time you get a question like this you complete the square?
and how does it depend on the domain?
Original post by lam12
Woah what? Do we complete the square to help us?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I think so.. to find the range
I hate these questions :/ they are so confusing
Reply 1011
yeah I think so.. to find the range
I hate these questions :/ they are so confusing

Whattttt haha I've never done that, I need to learn this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lam12
Whattttt haha I've never done that, I need to learn this

Posted from TSR Mobile

So how would you do the question? Is there another way or something?
So how would you do the question? Is there another way or something?

You could set the differential equal to 0 solve for x then plug that into the original equation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
You could set the differential equal to 0 solve for x then plug that into the original equation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh yeah okay thanks.

If you don't mind, can you explain how you would know whether to put <= or >= when finding the range/domain?
Ohh yeah okay thanks.

If you don't mind, can you explain how you would know whether to put <= or >= when finding the range/domain?

Either you can find d^2y/dX^2 to determine nature of the point or if there is just one turning point you could just plug one other number from the range/domain into the original equation and see if it gives a greater or lower answer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't the range be g;x >= 11?
Completing the square just finds the minimum point at (2,7) in which the value of x is greater than 0 so the range wouldn't start from there?
Original post by Nurishment
Completing the square just finds the minimum point at (2,7) in which the value of x is greater than 0 so the range wouldn't start from there?

The range of a function describes what value f(x) can take. The minimum value of f(x) is 7 so the range is f(x)>=7

Posted from TSR Mobile
someone help! ok so with the Rcos(x+a) for example and say you find out a and cos then it says work out the minimum value and the smallest possible value of x? Also for when it asks for the maximum and greatest possible value???? and what about for sine graph??? please help
Original post by Nurishment

Original post by samb1234
The range of a function describes what value f(x) can take. The minimum value of f(x) is 7 so the range is f(x)>=7

Posted from TSR Mobile

But the domain is less than or equal to 0, therefore f(x) can never take the value of 7 because the only time it's 7 is when x = 2. Is there a mark scheme or something?

Latest

Trending

Trending