The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry 6ch04/05 JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Undisclosed 15
What do we have to know for this specification point???

Posted from TSR Mobile

For infra-red you will have to be able to use the Data Booklet and/or graphs they provide and quote the correct values for the peaks and analyze it to figure out compounds. They may also not give a graph and simply provide you with values, and you will have to find what type of bond stretching the values correspond to from the Data Booklet.

According to my notes, you have to be able to describe simply how microwaves heat up things and know that it affects all POLAR molecules but not non-polar molecules.

UV ray causes homolytic fission and free radical substituition. This is covered in earlier units regarding ozone depletion and alkane reactions.
That's the important part. My notes also mention that UV is used in the technique of flash photolysis. They've said that it used by: 'subjecting a sample to intense UV radiation which excites the system and making observations when the system relaxes'. But there's no details given other than this sentence, so this method is not necessarily required. We simply have to know that it can be used in the analysis of molecules/particles. Edit: I've also NEVER seen this any of the past papers, haha.

Radio waves are used in NMR spectroscopy. You have to understand the basic theory of how it affects the spin of a proton, because this is the principle that NMR relies on as H atoms in different environments will resonate at different frequencies allowing identification.

You may be asked why TMS (tetramethylsilane) is used as a reference compound in nmr, but you will not be required to know any further details on this compound.

You will be required to know how to analyze both low resolution and high resolution NMR peaks and identify structures using the information given. They may also ask for uses of NMR for a couple of marks. :smile:

That's all I can think of.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 781
Yo someone pls help me before i have breakdown pls

Posted from TSR Mobile
can someone list the key points of how buffer solutions work, just so I know where the marks are. An example with ethanoic acid and sodium ethanoate?
lattice enthalpies in data book. you always use the ones NOT in bracket right?
Reply 784
Okay so here's the thing
I get pretty much everything on acid base equilibria except titration curves
can someone for the love of god go through the steps of plotting a titration curve
and where exactly marks would be awarded
Thanks in advance :smile: x
Original post by Gg7
Okay so here's the thing
I get pretty much everything on acid base equilibria except titration curves
can someone for the love of god go through the steps of plotting a titration curve
and where exactly marks would be awarded
Thanks in advance :smile: x

here have look at the last few pages https://chemrevise.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/4-acid-base-equilibria.pdf
Reply 787
Please answer me someone :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wahid1
Please answer me someone :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

what is your question ?
Original post by Wahid1
Confirmation required

Posted from TSR Mobile

I havent seen anything more than MCQs and those 6 mark Qs. That knowledge should suffice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 790
Original post by Maham88
what is your question ?

2 questions on the previous page :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 791
Original post by Wannabe007
I havent seen anything more than MCQs and those 6 mark Qs. That knowledge should suffice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lizzie97
Can someone please do this question and go through it step by step, preferably taking a photo of your method please? im so confused
An experiment was carried out to determine the value of Kc for this reaction.
0.120 mol of ethanoic acid was added to 0.220 mol of ethanol.
5.00 cm3 of 1.00 mol dm–3 hydrochloric acid was added as a catalyst. Thiscontains 0.278 mol of water.
The mixture was left to reach equilibrium.
The mixture was titrated with 1.00 mol dm–3 sodium hydroxide, whichreacted with both of the acids.
The titre was 45.0 cm3. Use these data to determine the value for Kc.

20150609_235945.jpg
Reply 793
Original post by thymolphthalein
20150609_235945.jpg

Or you could simply do the usual by subtracting the HCl titre from that of the equilibrium mixture to give you the real volume

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wahid1
2 questions on the previous page :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

the chemguide one or ...?
Reply 795
i know hardly anything about the hydration stuff that we need to know? does anyone have any tips to learn this as it was in the section C of june 2012 and i found it very hard
Original post by bbyturtlexox
lattice enthalpies in data book. you always use the ones NOT in bracket right?

If you read above the values it tells which are the actual values and which are the (theoretical values). Use the actual values!
Original post by Wahid1
Or you could simply do the usual by subtracting the HCl titre from that of the equilibrium mixture to give you the real volume

Posted from TSR Mobile

Uhh...that IS how I got 0.04 mol.

But most people ask how or why that is equal to the amount of CH3COOH remaining, I was trying to explain that part.
Reply 798
Original post by Maham88
the chemguide one or ...?

Yeh and the HPLC

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hairysweets

um.. thats a mark scheme lmao not the Question paper. If it was the QP maybe something would have hapnd. Soz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending