The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elliemay97
How do you differentiate sec^2?

I can think of two ways, use quotient rule with 1/cos^2 (taking bottom as v and top as u), or product rule using sec*sec or maybe even (sec)^2 and then differentiating normally so that's a third way. Sorry if I'm wrong though, please let me know.
Original post by Medicjug
I heard you could drop 16 marks and get full ums

Posted from TSR Mobile

:O didnt find it that bad
what happens when you differentiate a integer value?

what -3/4 ?
Original post by Gilo98
:O didnt find it that bad

It is either 63 or 64 I can't remember which. Give me 5 minutes I'll find a table with all the pre 2014 boundaries.

Edit: it was 64/75. All the boundaries before 2014 all the way back to 2003 or whenever it started are in this thread a bit of a way down the first page http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2692188
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BioAgent
what happens when you differentiate a integer value?

You get zero. C1 knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Medicjug
You get zero. C1 knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ouch.
Original post by BioAgent
Ouch.

sorry didn't mean to sound mean just came across that way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reventón
I can think of two ways, use quotient rule with 1/cos^2 (taking bottom as v and top as u), or product rule using sec*sec or maybe even (sec)^2 and then differentiating normally so that's a third way. Sorry if I'm wrong though, please let me know.

f(x) = sec^2(x) = (sec x)^2

so f'(x) = 2 (secx) (secxtanx) = 2 sec^2(x) tan(x)
Reply 1169
Is there a technique to/formula for example sin2A= 2sinAcosA, how would you know or work out what sin3A or sin4A would expand into/look like? This also applies to cos2A and tan2A not just sine.
Original post by Nirm
Is there a technique to/formula for example sin2A= 2sinAcosA, how would you know or work out what sin3A or sin4A would expand into/look like? This also applies to cos2A and tan2A not just sine.

I dont know, but maybe you just gotta use addition formula

So sin3a = sin(2a+a)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there any possible way to use the CAST diagrams to solve Sinx=0, Cosx=0 and Tanx=0 for solutions instead of the graph's?
how do you get range of functions that look like this:

1/(x+1)(x-1) or 2x/(3x+5)

like also how do i know when to say y is not equal to 0 as part of the range answer

help?
Original post by Nirm

As It's a me mario says, use sin(2a+a), or if you're feeling really exotic you can use de moivres theorem (fp2)
Original post by Maham88
what -3/4 ?

I substituted it into the original equation and did the positive mod and negative mod and solved
Original post by adorablegirl1202

This video explains exactly how to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOb5ncF6x2I
Original post by Hash1mate
Is there any possible way to use the CAST diagrams to solve Sinx=0, Cosx=0 and Tanx=0 for solutions instead of the graph's?

Yes it's the exact same as doing it for any other question?
I'm kinda upset, really want an A* but I always make dumb mistakes that lose 5-10marks
Original post by anonwinner
I'm kinda upset, really want an A* but I always make dumb mistakes that lose 5-10marks

Just do the exam really slowly and check your answer after very question and then check everything again at the end. Just do that in a few past papers today and see if you come out any better?

Latest

Trending

Trending