The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Food Technology

Anyone have any resources for this topic? I wonder what will be on the exam this year:frown:
Original post by Jessholding
Anyone have any resources for this topic? I wonder what will be on the exam this year:frown:

I'm also doing A2 food next week, its really hard to actually find stuff to revise from as there are no textbooks or anything! But ive been watching lots of videos on youtube like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8WJ2KENlK0 even though its for biology its really useful, he has other videos that are quite useful in learning the food science parts of the exam. I am really dreading the exam next week I feel like I know nothing, just trying so hard to remember stuff, I hate all this science and chemical structure stuff but I have a feeling it will come up :frown:
I'm hoping for loads of science and legislation etc. just because I know it all and it's guaranteed marks, unlike the subjective essay-styled questions. I got 100% on the coursework so am confident for an A* - I have several powerpoints and other resources that I can e-mail you guys if you want, including a sheet with all the past questions etc. that I made.
Original post by cosmicluma
I'm hoping for loads of science and legislation etc. just because I know it all and it's guaranteed marks, unlike the subjective essay-styled questions. I got 100% on the coursework so am confident for an A* - I have several powerpoints and other resources that I can e-mail you guys if you want, including a sheet with all the past questions etc. that I made.

That would be really helpful thanks :smile: Ill message you my email. I find the coursework quite easy and get nearly full marks, its just the exam part I find quite hard, I'm not very good at all the chemical structures etc but ive been revising them so hoping to get at least a B which I would be happy with, even though I really would like to get an A. At AS I got a A in the coursework and C in the exam, I ended up with a B overall which I was happy with but I'm just hoping I get the same or better this year.
Reply 4
How did you all find the exam?
Original post by Cgreen5
How did you all find the exam?

I was very happy with it, did questions 1,2 and 6 - loved the chemical strutures of fats/ triglycerides, colloidal structures and milk preservation questions.

Did you do the salt question? I used specific foods like pork pies, although the question said 'types of food' assuming that they meant ready meals as a type for example, hoping they'll accept that anyway. I think I must have got close to 100ums still though.
Reply 6
I was very happy with it, did questions 1,2 and 6 - loved the chemical strutures of fats/ triglycerides, colloidal structures and milk preservation questions.

Did you do the salt question? I used specific foods like pork pies, although the question said 'types of food' assuming that they meant ready meals as a type for example, hoping they'll accept that anyway. I think I must have got close to 100ums still though.

I did 1 and 2 as well. can't remember what other one i did. I thought that the questions were less science based than the last few years.

The salt question caught me out a little, I mainly went with standard components such as tomato sauce but didn't quite know how to reduce the salt levels.
Original post by Cgreen5
I did 1 and 2 as well. can't remember what other one i did. I thought that the questions were less science based than the last few years.

The salt question caught me out a little, I mainly went with standard components such as tomato sauce but didn't quite know how to reduce the salt levels.

What? Did you guys do a different exam to me? There wasnt any questions on colloidal systems or fats and oils? Did you do Aqa? I found that it was easier than some of the past papers but some of the questions were worded quite weirdly like the one about food product development, I did that one but im not sure I did it right. Hopefully I got enough questions right to get at least a C overall but I would really like a B
Original post by Lilyjfisher
What? Did you guys do a different exam to me? There wasnt any questions on colloidal systems or fats and oils? Did you do Aqa? I found that it was easier than some of the past papers but some of the questions were worded quite weirdly like the one about food product development, I did that one but im not sure I did it right. Hopefully I got enough questions right to get at least a C overall but I would really like a B

Question 2 asked to define triglycerides, trans fats, melting points of fats and also asked about the difference between sols and gels. I didn't do the product dev one - I think that was the one which also asked about bacillus cereus and campylobacter isn't it?
Question 2 asked to define triglycerides, trans fats, melting points of fats and also asked about the difference between sols and gels. I didn't do the product dev one - I think that was the one which also asked about bacillus cereus and campylobacter isn't it?

Ohh yes I remember that question now as soon as I saw sols and gels I was just like not doing that one ha! And yes it had the question about bacillus cereus and campylobacter, it also had a question about the advantages and disadvantages of using plastic bottles which I felt was quite easy so hopefully I got some good marks from that :smile:
Reply 10
I wasn't 100% about the sols and gels, was it to do with sols being liquid disperse in liquid continuous and gels being liquid in solid?
Original post by Lilyjfisher
Ohh yes I remember that question now as soon as I saw sols and gels I was just like not doing that one ha! And yes it had the question about bacillus cereus and campylobacter, it also had a question about the advantages and disadvantages of using plastic bottles which I felt was quite easy so hopefully I got some good marks from that :smile:

Yeah I couldn't remember symptoms/ sources of bacillus confidently so I didn't pay any attention to the rest of that question - plastic bottle essay is nice though!

Original post by Cgreen5
I wasn't 100% about the sols and gels, was it to do with sols being liquid disperse in liquid continuous and gels being liquid in solid?
I said they were both heterogeneous, but a sol has a solid disperse in a liquid continuous (sugar in tea) and gels have a liquid disperse in a solid continuous (water and flour) - two immiscible liquids (liquid and liquid) is an emlusion isn't it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending