The Student Room Group

Does geography count as another science?

When applying to certain degrees they ask for a science like bio, chem, physics and another science subject. I'm just wondering if geography can be classed as another science subject when applying or not? It may be specific to certain uni's, however I'm not sure :/. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
more so a social science/humanities/essay based subject id say like history, sociology etc
Original post by kirstyviolet
When applying to certain degrees they ask for a science like bio, chem, physics and another science subject. I'm just wondering if geography can be classed as another science subject when applying or not? It may be specific to certain uni's, however I'm not sure :/. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Universities accept different sciences. Sometime they only accept Chem, Phys, Biol and Maths. Others include subjects such as Geography and Psychology. You need to check each university to see which subjects they class as Sciences.
Original post by swanseajack1
Universities accept different sciences. Sometime they only accept Chem, Phys, Biol and Maths. Others include subjects such as Geography and Psychology. You need to check each university to see which subjects they class as Sciences.

As @swansea jack1 says, you'll need to check with the uni. It will also depend on which course you are applying for. For example, it's unlikely to be accepted as a science for Medicine, but probably would be for Environmental Science.

Here is an example of what Exeter accepts as a science for Psychology

Biology/Human Biology; Chemistry; Computing; Design and Technology; Economics; Electronics; Environmental Science; Environmental Studies; Geography; Geology; Life and Health Sciences (Double Award only), Marine Science; Maths/Pure Maths/Further Maths; Nutrition and Food Science; Physical Education; Physics; Psychology; Science (applied); Sport Science; Statistics.
Here is an example of what Exeter accepts as a science for Psychology

Biology/Human Biology; Chemistry; Computing; Design and Technology; Economics; Electronics; Environmental Science; Environmental Studies; Geography; Geology; Life and Health Sciences (Double Award only), Marine Science; Maths/Pure Maths/Further Maths; Nutrition and Food Science; Physical Education; Physics; Psychology; Science (applied); Sport Science; Statistics.

This is Bath's requirement for Pharmacy

You will need a strong performance in Chemistry and a second science or mathematics subject as part of your entry qualifications. The second subject can be:

Biology or Human Biology
Computer Science
Economics
Electronics
Environmental Science
Food Science or Food Technology
Geography
Geology
Mathematics or Further Mathematics
Physics
Psychology
Statistics