The Student Room Group

french a level

bit random but what is french a level like? currently taking it for gcse and I’m watching a paris vlog on YouTube and I’ve suddenly envisioned what my life could be like in paris lol
Original post by rafaelaaacortez
bit random but what is french a level like? currently taking it for gcse and I’m watching a paris vlog on YouTube and I’ve suddenly envisioned what my life could be like in paris lol
@erin11
im currently doing AQA A-Level French (y13) and have offers to study French with politics at uni, including a university in Paris!
If I had to describe it in 2 words, id say rewarding and challenging.
Personally, I absolutely love it because the topics you learn about are more linked to what is going on in terms of France and the wider French speaking world. Topics are split into political culture and artistic culture. Year 12 includes more artistic topics such as music, technology and volunteering whereas year 13 has a heavier focus on politics with topics such as immigration, strikes and crime/prison. You also study a film and a book for paper 2 and will have to write an essay on each in the actual exam - the essay writing is not as daunting as is sounds!! The grammar you learn and need to know obviously gets more advanced as you progress, with things like the subjunctive that you might not have necessarily seen at GCSE, but your teachers will guide you to make sure you understand. For the speaking at A2, you choose 1 photo card (either y12 or y13 content) and present your Independent research project (IRP) - IRP is basically a short 2 minute speech that summarises the key points of research that you have done on a particular topic, you can do it on pretty much anything as long as it relates to France/Francophone countries. I have thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the course, and feel that my French has progressed so rapidly - I can now hold a long conversation in French with native speakers, as my teachers and language assistant are all French!!
As long as you've got the passion for it and determination to work hard, you will really enjoy and benefit a lot from what A level French has to offer 🙂 💌
Original post by erin11
im currently doing AQA A-Level French (y13) and have offers to study French with politics at uni, including a university in Paris!
If I had to describe it in 2 words, id say rewarding and challenging.
Personally, I absolutely love it because the topics you learn about are more linked to what is going on in terms of France and the wider French speaking world. Topics are split into political culture and artistic culture. Year 12 includes more artistic topics such as music, technology and volunteering whereas year 13 has a heavier focus on politics with topics such as immigration, strikes and crime/prison. You also study a film and a book for paper 2 and will have to write an essay on each in the actual exam - the essay writing is not as daunting as is sounds!! The grammar you learn and need to know obviously gets more advanced as you progress, with things like the subjunctive that you might not have necessarily seen at GCSE, but your teachers will guide you to make sure you understand. For the speaking at A2, you choose 1 photo card (either y12 or y13 content) and present your Independent research project (IRP) - IRP is basically a short 2 minute speech that summarises the key points of research that you have done on a particular topic, you can do it on pretty much anything as long as it relates to France/Francophone countries. I have thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the course, and feel that my French has progressed so rapidly - I can now hold a long conversation in French with native speakers, as my teachers and language assistant are all French!!
As long as you've got the passion for it and determination to work hard, you will really enjoy and benefit a lot from what A level French has to offer 🙂 💌

wow thank you so much!! i didnt expect such a detailed response but this has really changed my mind about it 😭
wow thank you so much!! i didnt expect such a detailed response but this has really changed my mind about it 😭
youre welcome!! what in particular about a level French changed your mind?
Original post by erin11
youre welcome!! what in particular about a level French changed your mind?

i think just the joy of learning a new language, everytime i understand even one sentence in my lessons i get so excited haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending