The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jaymf10
Why was it expected that the temperature of titanium will remain constant? Is it because a change of state doesnt involve a change in temperature and that the energy of the photons is used to 'pull the molecules apart'?

yeah, the thermal energy used to pull molecules apart, No gain in KE so temperature doesn't not increase.
Original post by I Persia I
It's the second law mate! Remember Force = rate of change of momentum is what you used in the calculation by equating force and change in momentum.

Thats what I put, but thinking about It I think it should have been 3rd, as its being accelerated by the equal and opposite force due to the xenon ions coning out the back.... That as why it moves forward, but maybe both work
Original post by gothmog827
finding out that Christopher Lee is dead has ruined my good mood from this exam :frown::frown::frown:

Count Dooku died a while ago at the hands of Anakin.
Original post by gothmog827
finding out that christopher lee is dead has ruined my good mood from this exam :frown::frown::frown:

noooo not saruman!!!! :'( :'(
Original post by tory_lee_x
I loved the "prove Kelper's 3rd Law" question. For the question about adding He to N in the scuba tank, what volume did people use? I used just the scuba tank volume but I can't remember if you were supposed to use the He tank volume too... I you were then I'm an idiot because I actually knew how to do that question... -_-

I added volume it definitely said "Calculate the pressue in the He and N system" which I took to mean add both volumes
Original post by chem@uni
I added volume it definitely said "Calculate the pressue in the He and N system" which I took to mean add both volumes

Bugger. Idiot idiot idiot idiot idiot. Ah well it's done now, I can't change anything. Onto G485!

I thought it was just the N system, I think it would be a bit weird to do both as you would have to think about the volume of the tube wouldn't you (for it to actually be accurate)?
well, c'yall in the next forum about G$*% =], still disappointed I still don't know what 80ums was equivilant to last year though.
Original post by Josh771
I thought it was just the N system, I think it would be a bit weird to do both as you would have to think about the volume of the tube wouldn't you (for it to actually be accurate)?

Yes that's what I thought about... But don't take my word for it, I'm notorious for misreading questions when I get excited that I know how to answer them :')
I think I probably got 50 +/- 2 marks for this test. I've gotta say it was tricky but not hugely harder than past papers so I'm not sure how low grade boundaries will be. I'm just hoping for 90% UMS :P I'm not a chemist and haven't been since GCSE so I've always sucked at things involving moles meaning I know I've lost about 6/7 marks minimum.
Out of interest, how many people who sat the exam today do maths? What are you guys applying for Uni to do? I don't do maths (I hate it) and I've got a place to study veterinary medicine :smile:
Original post by Josh771

It said in the bit before that the Volume of the H and tube was ///////// so you could do it accurately that way

anyone have paper and can upload picture of that question?
I lost about 12-15 marks would you guys think that still is an A*? Hopefully grade boundaries are like last year... :C
Original post by Rifleboy123
I think I probably got 50 +/- 2 marks for this test. I've gotta say it was tricky but not hugely harder than past papers so I'm not sure how low grade boundaries will be. I'm just hoping for 90% UMS :P I'm not a chemist and haven't been since GCSE so I've always sucked at things involving moles meaning I know I've lost about 6/7 marks minimum.

it was massively harder than past papers- have you DONE any past papers?! I've been regularly getting 100%s on past papers I've never seen before but this exam took it out of me. Maybe you're possessed by the spirit of Newton or sommit.
Original post by tory_lee_x
Yes that's what I thought about... But don't take my word for it, I'm notorious for misreading questions when I get excited that I know how to answer them :':wink:

Still ECF though no matte the answer :smile: everyone I talked to after the exam got the same as me using the N system, but fingers crossed for low boundaries!! I got extreamely excited when I read the first question as I'd spent 10 minutes before the exam explaining how it works with something on a table to everyone!!!
What did people get for the time of the photons question?
It said in the bit before that the Volume of the H and tube was ///////// so you could do it accurately that way

anyone have paper and can upload picture of that question?

Ahhh well, everyone I talked to did the same as me so at least I'm not the only one! Still, the rest of the paper seemed to be ok, and hopefully a load of ECF marks for the weird bits
at most i'll have half marks and thats being optimistic lmao.
need a B for uni so may as well not bother with G485 now 😂 always struggled with the smaller physics units, had an E in mechanics last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yep! With the peak at 8Hz

Teachercol has done it, I think he'll post soon

He said good paper for mathematicians, one or two tricky bits but nothing new

I think I agree tbh

It was just a bad day for me

where is he?!??!! :-(

Original post by Elcor
For the Newton's gravitation law word equation, were you meant to give the 'proportion to product of...' answer or did you write out the equation with words instead of symbols? I did the latter.

I did the former

Original post by Elcor
For the last part of the first question I ended up with

d=2u2gMsinθcosθd=\frac{2u^2}{g_M} \sin \theta \cos \theta

I ended up with this too. My friend did KE = WD so 1/2 m. v^2 = Fs
My conclusion is on this exam that the questions themselves weren't hard but it was vastly different to the format of other exams with very little definitions and the wording was horrendous, this is a Physics exam not a ****ing Shakespeare sonnet, I think grade boundaries will be the second lowest after last year's exam, a lot of people will have been caught out by a few of the questions me included.

Latest

Trending

Trending