The Student Room Group

OCR PHYSICS B G494~ 11th June 2015 AM ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

I did that too! Iliterally always make those questions up as I go along and just hope for the best ahah!
Original post by Greating
This is what a friend and I think are acceptable answers, though there is some uncertainty in some of the longer explanation questions.

Our answers are attached.

Damn I screwed up the pV=constant one. I worked it out then proceeded to divide p by V instead of multiplying! Asides from that, what I wrote what correct - the 'equation' they gave you was not valid because the values calculated were not constant (for me at least).

How many marks was that question? 3/4? Hopefully I'll only lose 1 or 2 marks for that :frown:

Nice markscheme anyway 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 222
Original post by asdfghi
For the measuring of the decay constant question, could you put measure number of decays of a nucleus in a certain time and do decay constant equals the number of decays / time (in seconds) ?

I did something similar, but you'd need to divide by N too, since dN/dt = -decay constant x N.

The comments on here and in that unofficial mark scheme about drawing the decay curve and measuring gradient etc seem more logical though, not sure we'd get the mark.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 223
Original post by rapunzelsa
I said they were different, i tested it out with much higher values of T and lower values of p that still fitted with the pattern in the table, and it was definitely not constant, but i don't know what they wanted :-(

Who knows - we might get the benefit of the doubt :smile:
Original post by asdfghi
For the measuring of the decay constant question, could you put measure number of decays of a nucleus in a certain time and do decay constant equals the number of decays / time (in seconds) ?

That would give you activity though wouldn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
The relationship wasn't true, they weren't all the same value

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got numbers around the value 352 for each one so I said that it was constant, as the +-1 difference was negligible
Original post by MasterOfTheSwag
I got numbers around the value 352 for each one so I said that it was constant, as the +-1 difference was negligible

That came up in one of the past papers
they were +-1 or 2 out too and I said they were constant, the mark scheme said otherwise, hence I said they're not proportional
Original post by Robbo54
Ok for the natural log questions I divided the two values so you cancel the two constants, and re-arranged to get Epsilon, anyone do a similar method to this?

I equated the constants and that was how I managed to get the answer people have got.
Original post by Iridann
I equated the constants and that was how I managed to get the answer people have got.

Did you get the values as constant relationship or not?

I know I made some mistakes, but I don't think it's enough to cost me an A
Well, I hope not any way!
Original post by rapunzelsa
I said they were different, i tested it out with much higher values of T and lower values of p that still fitted with the pattern in the table, and it was definitely not constant, but i don't know what they wanted :-(

I just wrote that it does work with the equation because they were all like 351, 352, 353 so they were all 350 to (2.s.f.) and the differences are just due to experiments always have error! or something like that anyway
but they probably accept it if you say it doesnt work with the equation as long as you justified why!!
Original post by Greating
This is what a friend and I think are acceptable answers, though there is some uncertainty in some of the longer explanation questions.

Our answers are attached.

Thanks for that!

I think i got most calculations right. The explanations i think could've gone better but overall made me feel a little more confident! :h:
Original post by nair39
Only a mark lost for your conclusion I reckon. As long as your calculations were right you'd get those marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't give up hope of getting all those marks, often the markscheme accepts both as long as you explain why you came to your conclusion and it is valid. That being said i also said the relationship was true
Was the graph p against V

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by malachirp
I wouldn't give up hope of getting all those marks, often the markscheme accepts both as long as you explain why you came to your conclusion and it is valid. That being said i also said the relationship was true

you rounded to 2sf right, the data was to 3sf though
Original post by saycell_96
Was the graph p against V

Posted from TSR Mobile

P vs T
straight line through origin
Original post by mariamaisabelle
I just wrote that it does work with the equation because they were all like 351, 352, 353 so they were all 350 to (2.s.f.) and the differences are just due to experiments always have error! or something like that anyway
but they probably accept it if you say it doesnt work with the equation as long as you justified why!!

you rounded to 2sf, but the data was to 3sf so you're being inaccurate here
I';m pretty sure it wasn't constant
I remember a question in another paper when they were close and it rejected them
Reply 237
Original post by malachirp

Good point, I agree that either conclusion should be accepted if you have decent reasoning, and if the mark scheme says that for similar questions then can't argue with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Did you get the values as constant relationship or not?

I know I made some mistakes, but I don't think it's enough to cost me an A
Well, I hope not any way!

Yeah I said the relationship was consistent to a certain degree of accuracy.
Original post by Iridann
Yeah I said the relationship was consistent to a certain degree of accuracy.

will either conclusion be accepted?
depends on whether we say they're significantly different or not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending