Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gilo98
IGYB papers

Great thanks.
Original post by JamieF95
Great thanks.

Where do I find these paper's?
Original post by anonwinner
Basically the way I do these is by subbing in x=3, which gives (3+1)/(3-2) = 4/1 = 4, and then I sub in a really big number for example 500, which gives (500+1)/(500-2) = 1.006... From this you can see that as x tends towards infinity, f(x) tends towards 1. So the range is 1 < f(x) < 4

Would you be able to help with this question. 1 marker but I cant do what you explained here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=104&v=cdlij6HuwNI
Can someone like that jan 2015 IAL paper pls :smile:
Which solomon papers are the hardest for c3 in your opinion?
anyone got any good tips for the domain and range questions ?
Original post by physicsmaths
I have noticed this year, M3 similar style to IAL, FP2 similar style to IAL not difficulty, physics today was also similar style to IAL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

was fp2 similar to ial?
Original post by Maths degree
anyone got any good tips for the domain and range questions ?

a sketch, common sense and understanding of min and max values in fractions
Original post by suyoof123
Would you be able to help with this question. 1 marker but I cant do what you explained here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=104&v=cdlij6HuwNI

Sure. For these questions I find the easiest way is to find the range of f(x), because the range of f(x) is the exact same as the domain of f^-1 (x) and vice versa.

f(x) = 1/(2x-1) , x > 1/2

Subbing x=1/2 into f(x) will not work because it will get f(x) = 1/0 which produces a 'math error'. So I would suggest subbing in a number slightly bigger than 1/2, for example you could do 0.5000001. If you sub that in you will find that you get a huge number, which suggests that f(x) has no upper limit, so now we need to find the lower limit. To do this, sub a really big number into f(x), for example 500. This will get f(x) = 1/(1000-1) = 0.001001... This suggests that the lower limit is 0.

So the range of f(x) is f(x) > 0 , which means the domain of f^-1 (x) is x>0

It is also useful to draw the graphs so you have an idea of the upper/lower limits
(edited 8 years ago)
So how's everyone feeling about tomorrow?
Original post by sagar448
Yeah but was this a question from the C3 past paper? I want to know what question so I can have a go.

I wrote the ........ thing.
Original post by callyx27

Worried haha, how about you?
Original post by dnpnstn
Yeah that's right, you just need to give the values at the asymptote. Though if we get something like this in an exam e.g. cotx=1, you could be docked marks for writing tanx=infinity, you'd have to state that it tends towards infinity, and therefore tends towards 90/270 etc.

Thanks for the reply! I just find it weird that even though the curve never touches the points they are still solutions haha!
Original post by anonwinner
Sure. For these questions I find the easiest way is to find the range of f(x), because the range of f(x) is the exact same as the domain of f^-1 (x) and vice versa.

f(x) = 1/(2x-1) , x > 1/2

Subbing x=1/2 into f(x) will not work because it will get f(x) = 1/0 which produces a 'math error'. So I would suggest subbing in a number slightly bigger than 1/2, for example you could do 0.5000001. If you sub that in you will find that you get a huge number, which suggests that f(x) has no upper limit, so now we need to find the lower limit. To do this, sub a really big number into f(x), for example 500. This will get f(x) = 1/(1000-1) = 0.001001... This suggests that the lower limit is 0.

So the range of f(x) is f(x) > 0 , which means the domain of f^-1 (x) is x>0

It is also useful to draw the graphs so you have an idea of the upper/lower limits

Thank you so much! twice you've helped, really appreciate it! and if they wanted the range of f'x, then you don't do anything as range of f'x is domain of f(x)

Also i would rather not draw the graphs for these, saves time and your method makes sense and is MUCH quicker.
june 2013 7b, not sure what to do
Original post by suyoof123
Thank you so much! twice you've helped, really appreciate it! and if they wanted the range of f'x, then you don't do anything as range of f'x is domain of f(x)

Also i would rather not draw the graphs for these, saves time and your method makes sense and is MUCH quicker.

Yeh I rarely draw the graphs but everyone says you should so idk :P
Can someone explain why the answer to June 2013 8b is 21/25 and not -21/25? If you see the equation as 21/25sec(x-73.74) then surely the min is negative??
Original post by adorablegirl1202
june 2013 7b, not sure what to do

Have you got f(0) yet?
Original post by callyx27

Worried, how about you?

Latest

Trending

Trending