The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Unofficial Mark Scheme

Start posting everything you can remember about the questions/answers here and I'll update the first post as we go along.
Original post by JizzaStanger
In (i) there's a sudden change in flux through Q so a current flows in Q. After that, the flux through Q is no longer changing to there is no current in Q. Result is that the ammeter deflects and then returns back to reading zero.

(ii) There's a sudden decrease in current through P, so a sudden decrease in flux through Q so a current is induced in Q in the opposite direction to when the switch was closed (before, there was an increase in flux). Then afterwards the flux through Q is constant so no current in Q. Result is that the ammeter deflects in the opposite direction to before and then returns to zero.

There was nothing to suggest that the current in Q in (ii) should be less than that in part (i).

wouldnt the resistor affect it tho ?
Reply 4642
Original post by ShutUpLegs
Unofficial Mark Scheme

Start posting everything you can remember about the questions/answers here and I'll update the first post as we go along.

Shall I do this in the first post? It would be best for everyone to PM me as much as they can remember!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DomRauba
Hello guys, I know the unit for Flux Linkage is Wb Turns, but I missed of the turns and wondering if they have any lenience to this, for some reason I think it's come up before.

I'm pretty sure just Wb is fine
Original post by CD223
Shall I do this in the first post? It would be best for everyone to PM me as much as they can remember!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good idea to put the answers there when agreed upon but I think it's good to have a dedicated place to discuss/argue about questions without general chatter
Original post by Jed-Singh
look, hard paper or not, its all relative. Wev all found those wordy questions difficult and it was easy to lose marks on the rest of Section B today. that being said it wasn't a particularly challenging section A althought 4 or 5 where kinda discriminating. what im saying is they could have given us the easiest paper ever, but if WE AS A NATION did awful then the boundaries would be low. Today, if people are saying its easy then the boundaries may not fully reflect this as its all about how we actually did

There is SOME truth to that, but you need to consider that AQA have their own beliefs such as 'this question wasn't that hard so we wont drop the boundaries that much due to how many students got this incorrect'

Also AQA know we are bad at physics exams - its the truth as an average they just know. A good example is for the passed 5 years they figured the average for MC was 16.5/25. and the boundary is still 19 for an A. I really think an A* will remain at around 58/60 ish.

I was thinking this morning on the way to the exam that in other exams like Maths, its more like its us Vs the rest of the country's students that sit that exam. But with physics its such a big deal that they make this harder so they just set the grade boundaries accordingly.
Reply 4646
Good idea to put the answers there when agreed upon but I think it's good to have a dedicated place to discuss/argue about questions without general chatter

Sure. Can someone find Merhdad's answers to the MC? So we can debate them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RemainSilent
wouldnt the resistor affect it tho ?

Yes but it's the rate of change of flux that counts. If the current through P changed more quickly when the resistance was changed than when S was closed (unlikely but not impossible, the converse wasn't implied), then the current in Q in (ii) would be greater than in (i).
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey dude, how did you feel about the paper?
Reply 4649
Original post by Kennethm
hey dude, how did you feel about the paper?

Not too bad to be honest. It was a fair paper, I just made a few silly errors. Only thing that angers me is the typo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JizzaStanger
Yes but it's the rate of change of flux that counts. If the current through P changed more quickly when the resistance was changed than when S was closed (unlikely but not impossible, the converse wasn't implied), then the current in Q in (ii) would be greater than in (i).

The change in resistance wouldn't make the current go to 0 though, so it's likely the change in flux is less than in i.
Original post by CD223
Not too bad to be honest. It was a fair paper, I just made a few silly errors. Only thing that angers me is the typo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

how did you answer the typo question?

Yeah it was fair I guess, really annoyed at how i did in terms of the damping Q and the magnetic field qualitive. and I didnt do the 6 marker - must have taken like 1/2 marks from it maybe.
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that the exact username? I can't find the account to search the post history..
Reply 4653
As I wrote lots of different marks to get the marks in some questions, some of my answers were not written on the dotted lines coz i didnt have enough space.
Will the answers which are not on the dotted line be still marked ?
Reply 4654
I really dont think so because wb is the unit for flux, not flux density
Reply 4655
Is that the exact username? I can't find the account to search the post history..

Mehrdad Jafari? Have I spelt it wrong? Sorry if I have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ben60
As I wrote lots of different marks to get the marks in some questions, some of my answers were not written on the dotted lines coz i didnt have enough space.

That prob depends on the examiner. I'm sure if they're easy to spot as an they'll get marked
Original post by ben60

That probably depends on the examiner. I'm sure if they're easy to spot as an answer they'll get marked
Reply 4658
Original post by Sbarron
That probably depends on the examiner. I'm sure if they're easy to spot as an answer they'll get marked

I hope they see it
its not hard to spot. its just right beneath the lines. literally right beneath the lines.
Reply 4659
For the question about Coil P and Coil Q, I put no current in the Ammeter to begin with as the current in Coil P was D.C. And then 2nd part) a sudden change in resistance leads to a change in current which is a change in the magnetic flux cutting Coil Q so since there's a change , there's a reading any idea if that's ok?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending