The Student Room Group

Sexting is now the norm for British teenagers

...claims the media
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sexting-is-the-now-the-norm-for-britains-teenagers-claims-national-crime-agency-as-it-campaigns-to-stem-surge-in-explicit-images-10319350.html

Is this just an example of moral panic? The media kicking up a fuss over something that might not be as widespread as it might be or is sexting actually a lot more common amongst under 18s now? Also who's to blame? The parents? Lack of education about the risks? Adults ignoring the trend and not tackling the problem head on until one story becomes big news? The children themselves (kids are gonna take risks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
All that exacerbated by the need for teenagers to feel validated and loved.
Original post by datpiff
...claims the media
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sexting-is-the-now-the-norm-for-britains-teenagers-claims-national-crime-agency-as-it-campaigns-to-stem-surge-in-explicit-images-10319350.html

Is this just an example of moral panic? The media kicking up a fuss over something that might not be as widespread as it might be or is sexting actually a lot more common amongst under 18s now? Also who's to blame? The parents? Lack of education about the risks? Adults ignoring the trend and not tackling the problem head on until one story becomes big news? The children themselves (kids are gonna take risks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes

the older I get the more I see a pattern in reports like this
Moral panic.

I still remember hearing/reading about how TV was going to undo teenagers.

I believe Radio got the same treatment possibly.

Likewise I suspect the "trend" isn't nearly as widespread as it's made out to be.

Anyway, the future's now, old people. Welcome to the world of tomorrow!
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Moral panic.

I still remember hearing/reading about how TV was going to undo teenagers.

I believe Radio got the same treatment possibly.

Likewise I suspect the "trend" isn't nearly as widespread as it's made out to be.

Anyway, the future's now, old people. Welcome to the world of tomorrow!

Yep

Old enough to have seen this before

you can always tell it's a slow news day when we get reports like this in the press
Nothing new here. The media trying to cause a division between teenagers and everyone else
Reply 6
Agree with the consensus that it's false hysteria. Papers are saying anything to try to stay relevant.
Reply 7
Original post by miser
Agree with the consensus that it's false hysteria. Papers are saying anything to try to stay relevant.

In my experience with working in schools there are a couple of instances that come up where sexting has caused a problem, but the majority of teenagers I can imagine are pretty responsible. Apps like Snapchat are only dangerous when in the hands of the most vulnerable (the most easily led, most impressionable, those who lack parental supervision, etc) and the very young, who should be getting support anyway / parents should be moderating use more. The majority of kids are just Snapping immature unworrying **** that you expect kids to do / grow out of. All that's really needed is more awareness on the subject, an awareness of the dangers and for parents to be aware of technology.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
It's disgusting tbh...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending