The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G485 - Frontiers of Physics - 18th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
142 ish

Oh wow, but how did you come up with that, I can't find the ums for a* on the grade boundary website and I know ums doesn't go up linearly
Original post by Elcor
Part d.ii, it says the lamp has a p.d. of 11.8V and you later have to calculate the current in the secondary circuit; surely this implies a constant e.m.f.?

I think you're right. But since we don't explicitly learn about alternating emf, I think they just want you to take the emf as being constant. They do say at the beginning of d that the emf across the output is 12V, which suggests they're using 12V as the constant emf.
Original post by jcwh97
Power = Intensity x Area

Area = 4 x pi x r^2
Intensity = 1400

Substitute and multiply.

Yeah but why is the area 4 x pi x r^2
Original post by Jim997
Hey guys, can someone give me the definition of :

Activity -
Decay constant -

Activity: the number of particles emitted from a sample per unit time
Decay constant: the probability of decay of a nucleus per unit time.
Original post by Raizel

As that is the surface area of a sphere.
Original post by Raizel

Its the surface area of the Sun. The sun is a sphere so the formula for the surface area of a sphere is 4 pi r^2
Does anyone have a detailed explanation of this in full? It's from the spec idk how they're all related:

'outline the principles of magnetic resonance, with reference to precession of nuclei, Larmor frequency, resonance and relaxation times'
Original post by leroythelost
Oh wow, but how did you come up with that, I can't find the ums for a* on the grade boundary website and I know ums doesn't go up linearly

A* boundaries are linear

Then it changes as you go up
Guys I don't really understand pulse repetition frequency for ultrasound. I know 1/f is a period but i dont understand how this links to a pulse going there and back. Furthermore, is pulse repetition described as the min or max frequency of the wave because of its call max then that implies a higher frequency messes things up but a higher frequency will make the time for the wave to come back shorter.
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
I think you're right. But since we don't explicitly learn about alternating emf, I think they just want you to take the emf as being constant. They do say at the beginning of d that the emf across the output is 12V, which suggests they're using 12V as the constant emf.

I know it says that and it's confusing. I'm not misunderstanding something about induced e.m.f. am I? It should be alternating shouldn't it?
Original post by jcwh97
Its the surface area of the Sun. The sun is a sphere so the formula for the surface area of a sphere is 4 pi r^2

Original post by randlemcmurphy
As that is the surface area of a sphere.

ohh I see ty.
Original post by Elcor
I know it says that and it's confusing. I'm not misunderstanding something about induced e.m.f. am I? It should be alternating shouldn't it?

No I don't think you're misunderstanding anything. It should be alternating because the current is alternating, that's the only way to get an induced emf. They're just simplifying it I suspect :smile:
Anybody know what to say for compare and contrast decay of radioactive nuclei and decay of charge on a capacitor.
Original post by I Persia I
Does anyone have a detailed explanation of this in full? It's from the spec idk how they're all related:

'outline the principles of magnetic resonance, with reference to precession of nuclei, Larmor frequency, resonance and relaxation times'

Literally asked as a past paper question possibly june 10
Original post by SkilledNChilled
What equation? There are two different ones given in the book and it is not said which one to use or to remember it. Also what does it mean by the "car acts as a mirror". How can an image of something move by "2x" if the car moves by "x"? Makes zero sense to me.

I didn't understand the explanation either. That equation they give you is also just an approximation, see my answer on page 12
Original post by Raizel

Surface area of a sphere that's why
Guys can anyone in around 4/5 bullet points list how image intensifiers work please it would be helpful if this included key words
Reply 1097
Original post by actanide
technetium is very transferrable around the body, mixed with glucose and other substances. It can be used to detect if a kidney is healthy. It goes through the kidney the same as water etc, and if the kidney is faulty, itll give off bigger radiation from that area, meaning the kidney doesnt pass liquids well

Whats FDG?
Original post by jcwh97
file:///C:/Users/user/Downloads/14_Jun%20MS%20(13).pdf

I dont know if this is allowed but here it is

That link cant be accesed but i found it from someone. Thanks anyway
Reply 1099
Original post by Jigardubal
Guys can anyone in around 4/5 bullet points list how image intensifiers work please it would be helpful if this included key words

-intensifier absorbs x-rays by photographic film
-scintillator is used as an intensifier
-scintillator converts x-ray photon into many photons of visible light
-photons of visible light releases electrons so a lower exposure time to x-rays is needed
-gives a sharper images

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending