The Student Room Group

AQA GEOG4B 19th JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

riders for health practice questions.
1- to what extent has Kenya's development been constrained by its physical geography- you should support this using figure p4-p8 in the booklet (10 marks)
2- identify why investing in transport infrastructure now will benefit the health of Kenya in the future 12 marks
3- to what extent is Kenya ever likely to achieve its MDGs 15 marks
4- there has been much discussion about whether ledcs with high hiv/aids rates should invest more of their limited resources in health care. examine the social economic and environment reasons for investing in more health care in Kenya 15 marks
5- in item 5 you were asked to visit a number of websites. evaluate the effectiveness of the riders website in gaining support for their cause 8 marks
6- to what extent has the riders for health programme helped Kenya improve health care 15 marks
7- comment on the impact hiv has on development 12 marks
8- the Kenyan earth care service is not fit for purpose evaluate this 10 marks
9- discuss the issues physical and social geography of Kenya present for the health care provision 12 marks
10- Kenya has failed MDGs for health. discuss what could be done and justify why 15 marks
hope it helps bit late though
Reply 761
Original post by JackWilsh10
Huh? are we not meant to write on the booklet with staples on? I was under the impression it is given to us in the exam, no?

Oh man, now I'm worried ;/

Each school is different. Mine gave us one copy and we dont get another one so I cant write on mine. but other schools have given out one copy and then replace it before the exam :smile:
How does geography shown on the maps interfere with the riders for health(10)?.
ive got the paper online if anyone need it il send you it :smile:
Original post by JackWilsh10
Huh? are we not meant to write on the booklet with staples on? I was under the impression it is given to us in the exam, no?

Oh man, now I'm worried ;/

Don't mean to be a sh*t stirrer but read the front page of AIB. In the instructions "This booklet must be kept unmarked for use in the forthcoming examination."

If your teachers have allowed (or even requested) you to high-light it then they probably have a spare copy. If it will calm you down then just print a spare one just in case.
Do you believe Riders for Health has made a difference?? xxx
Reply 766

So from this map on the Riders website... they no longer work in or around Nairobi, is there a way we can bring this up in a question?
If you do print one off make sure you tell the invigilator before the exam as it is missing the little a on the cover, they might think that you stapled an extra sheet to the back of it so make them go through it
Original post by Bunny2014
Do you believe Riders for Health has made a difference?? xxx

One of the questions in the ZigZag book is "To what extent has the Riders for Health programme helped Kenya improve its healthcare"

My points:
- Increasing access to healthcare in rural areas byimproving infrastructure through more appropriate vehicles.

- Reducing costs in Kenya’s healthcare system andincreasing efficiency, by reducing travel times and maintenance costs.

- Community care improves local healthcare througheducation (e.g. HIV/AIDS awareness), preventative care (e.g. bed nets) andaccess to treatment (e.g. oral rehydration therapy and ARVs). This reducesfurther infections and costs of healthcare in LT. Works with 8000 people withHIV.

- More responsive to the health needs of local people,compared to the highly-centralised, proportional KEMSA system.

- Increases number of workers in rural areas, helping toreduce the national rural-urban disparities.

BUT - Serves only two areas in Kenya, other areas, particularlyurban areas, have significant health issues too.

- Focused on community care, more complicated care notprovided, but they do provide transport to larger health facilities.

-“limits of bottom-up”. Small organisation (8 people),unlikely to have large impacts nationally.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 769
Original post by lemxn

So from this map on the Riders website... they no longer work in or around Nairobi, is there a way we can bring this up in a question?

They spoke about this on their twitter, but the main reason that they moved their admin offices and main bases away from nairobi was to be nearer to the main areas they are working as well as their other health related partners :smile:
Original post by lemxn

That's a really good point to make a comment about! However on the website it says that Kisumu is where the office is and from there, they send workers to central & western Kenya.
i found a website that says kenya has failed to reach 6/8 of MDGS, the actual website for MDGS for kenya is very biased, so can anyone confirm this
Is anyone as unprepared as I am ?? :/
Original post by subject1
One of the questions in the ZigZag book is "To what extent has the Riders for Health programme helped Kenya improve its healthcare"

My points:
- Increasing access to healthcare in rural areas byimproving infrastructure through more appropriate vehicles.

- Reducing costs in Kenya’s healthcare system andincreasing efficiency, by reducing travel times and maintenance costs.

- Community care improves local healthcare througheducation (e.g. HIV/AIDS awareness), preventative care (e.g. bed nets) andaccess to treatment (e.g. oral rehydration therapy and ARVs). This reducesfurther infections and costs of healthcare in LT. Works with 8000 people withHIV.

- More responsive to the health needs of local people,compared to the highly-centralised, proportional KEMSA system.

- Increases number of workers in rural areas, helping toreduce the national rural-urban disparities.

BUT - Serves only two areas in Kenya, other areas, particularlyurban areas, have significant health issues too.

- Focused on community care, more complicated care notprovided, but they do provide transport to larger health facilities.

-“limits of bottom-up”. Small organisation (8 people),unlikely to have large impacts nationally.

Thanks, hope you get the grades you want, you are very helpful :biggrin: xx
Original post by Ultracrepidarian
i found a website that says kenya has failed to reach 6/8 of MDGS, the actual website for MDGS for kenya is very biased, so can anyone confirm this

i thought it only failed to reach maternal health and sustainability. Others are improving but these are not.
Reply 775
Is MDG7 absolutely vital towards the success of the other MDGs?
Original post by Trisha10001
i thought it only failed to reach maternal health and sustainability. Others are improving but these are not.

but improvement does not mean reaching the target
but improvement does not mean reaching the target

I meant to say maternal health and sustainability are decreasing, whilst others are improving and have potential to reach the target but probably not by 2015 as targeted.
Reply 778

What's the website?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending