The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reckon I've got around 50 marks. Maybe 55. What grade am I looking at?
what a load of s***
Original post by Ilovemaths96
what a load of s***

Fair from you "I love maths"
Original post by BeccaBrowning
Fair from you "I love maths"

lol changing my username to i hate maths, edexcel have nicely ruined everything
Original post by anorris13
Is anybody in contact with someone who might have the paper?

Not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ilovemaths96
lol changing my username to i hate maths, edexcel have nicely ruined everything

hahah I hate maths too, good job I only have to get an E this year

Such a dog poo exam
No markscheme, no hitler, nothing... WTF?

Such a dog poo exam

which uni gives an E offer... lmao

Such a dog poo exam

hahaha lol what a way to describe it!

That doesnt seem to difficult lol, guessing you're not applying for maths :smile:
Reply 969
How did other people answer part b of the reduction formula? 1 mark for putting limits, 1 mark for recognising the integral always is multiplied by I subscript 1 (ie I(1) and 1 mark for evaluating this and then 1 mark for conclusion?
Original post by soundhippo
which uni gives an E offer... lmao

Its more likely that is what he needs to average an A or a B from last year's result
I'm pretty confident these are the correct solutions - but I didn't have the question paper, and I've forgotten the vector question - I didn't remember the vectors A, B or C

Sorry if it's a bit messy

It's on this google drive (the file was too big):
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2yfoJrIQ5MCfk1LR0FuODlIaWEwdG1xTDZVZTJMTHk4X3pVQTgzNDR4c0x3U1ZDVElHeDA&usp=sharing
Original post by Chazatthekeys
I'm pretty confident these are the correct solutions - but I didn't have the question paper, and I've forgotten the vector question - I didn't remember the vectors A, B or C

Sorry if it's a bit messy

It's on this google drive (the file was too big):
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2yfoJrIQ5MCfk1LR0FuODlIaWEwdG1xTDZVZTJMTHk4X3pVQTgzNDR4c0x3U1ZDVElHeDA&usp=sharing

For the last Question you did, you were meant to find the volume not the surface area
Reply 973
This thread is dead compared to the other modules on the day of the exam, is the population of FP3 students that low?

For the last part, I found the general midpoint of two points on the ellipse using the coordinates of a general point on the ellipse and calling one angle alpha and one beta. I then found the gradient of the line from one point to the other (so everything's in terms of C3 double angles at this point). I subbed these into y-y1=(gradient)(x-x1) for the locus, but I'm pretty sure this is wrong because the gradient of the locus would be the inverse of the gradient of the line joining the 2 points. I stopped here.

How many marks (in your opinions) would this be out of 6? Or was it out of 5?
Original post by imusti96
For the last Question you did, you were meant to find the volume not the surface area

The answer is correct, you are referring to another question.
Original post by cogito.
The answer is correct, you are referring to another question.

Oh yah, my bad.
Original post by imusti96

No it definitely was arc length, the one before was volume of revolution
Original post by LukeTownsend123
Reckon I've got around 50 marks. Maybe 55. What grade am I looking at?

55 an A. Even 51 for an A but could even be lower, everyone agrees this was a very hard paper
I did awful on this paper my mark is definitely in the 50s(if I have got right what I think I got right) I didn't get very far in both of the last parts of question 8, when I was doing 8c I didn't even understand the question it was that hard and for 8b I was stuck with square roots of quadratics of x.For the triangle one I ended up with Cosh2t which isn't independent of x, I am not quite exactly sure how you were supposed to show that reduction formula result I evaluated I1=1 and then wrote I3 and I5 in terms of I1 and then just quoted the result, the pattern was obvious but I am not sure whether they wanted something more rigorous.Timing was a big problem on this paper(they wasted loads of our time by asking us to find 3 normalised eigenvectors) I didn't really have enough time at the end to fully have a good go at the question, I wasn't even sure how to represent the points I ended up just selecting points finding their midpoints and finding the line between them.

I did the June 2009 and got 75 and one of my friends did the June 2014 and didn't think it was too bad(I think the last question now might have been very similar to the hyperbola one on June 2014 but we got no help this time and grade boundaries for that were 55 for an A I think) so grade boundaries have got to be in the low 50s and I would not be surprised for an A to be in the 40s, it has happened on rare occasions.
Original post by Dalek1099
I did awful on this paper my mark is definitely in the 50s(if I have got right what I think I got right) I didn't get very far in both of the last parts of question 8, when I was doing 8c I didn't even understand the question it was that hard and for 8b I was stuck with square roots of quadratics of x.For the triangle one I ended up with Cosh2t which isn't independent of x, I am not quite exactly sure how you were supposed to show that reduction formula result I evaluated I1=1 and then wrote I3 and I5 in terms of I1 and then just quoted the result, the pattern was obvious but I am not sure whether they wanted something more rigorous.Timing was a big problem on this paper(they wasted loads of our time by asking us to find 3 normalised eigenvectors) I didn't really have enough time at the end to fully have a good go at the question, I wasn't even sure how to represent the points I ended up just selecting points finding their midpoints and finding the line between them.

I did the June 2009 and got 75 and one of my friends did the June 2014 and didn't think it was too bad(I think the last question now might have been very similar to the hyperbola one on June 2014 but we got no help this time and grade boundaries for that were 55 for an A I think) so grade boundaries have got to be in the low 50s and I would not be surprised for an A to be in the 40s, it has happened on rare occasions.

Highly unlikely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending