The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

She's absolutely right.

Way I see it is that he wanted to have children, wanted kids, married to a lady for 25+ years I'd be pissed off if I was married to a woman and she decides to become a man. No support will be given to the lady and I will file for immediate divorce.

No transphobia involved, but it's essentially changing the main part of their physical identity. Plus why would I marry or be in a relationship with a transgender person anyway? The ****ing liberals on this site will just say she's wrong but everything she said was right.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
She's absolutely right.

Way I see it is that he wanted to have children, wanted kids, married to a lady for 25+ years I'd be pissed off if I was married to a woman and she decides to become a man. No support will be given to the lady and I will file for immediate divorce.

No transphobia involved, but it's essentially changing the main part of their physical identity. Plus why would I marry or be in a relationship with a transgender person anyway? The ****ing liberals on this site will just say she's wrong but everything she said was right.

I completely agree.

Wonder how @fallen_acorns is doing in China
@Lyrical Prodigy ey up our kid
I'd be a bit torn. The nature of being transgender, not being like a crossdresser or something. So hormones and such were already going on they began dating. Think she tried to play it down, but seems implausible she wasn't at least suspicious, with moobs from the drugs and women's clothes on suitcases you don't have to be very intelligent to at least ask some serious questions. Just the women's clothes most women would be keen to get the bottom of that. You can't on the one hand take her "me and my kids would beat you" attitude and then ask why at that stage of their relationship there would have been hesitation to be honest then or at any point further down the line.

The issue would boil down to being in a position to be honest from the start, same as you would with sexual orientation, but that would require a lack of stigma which is going to be harder to overcome than being gay I think because of other people being invested in your gender in a way they aren't with your sexuality, parents for example. In same way previously people have struggle to admit they were gay or such, people struggle to admit they are transgender so they end up in an advanced stage of their life basically living a lie, with massive costs for being truthful, which then grow and grow.

I don't blame Kris Jenner totally, most people would be pissed, but I don't really think the blame totally lies with Bruce/Caitlin either, its just a messed up situation in which all of them have some blame. Glad I don't have to deal with it myself or in my family tbh.

Do think the media are making way too bigger deal out of it though, LGBT stuff is kind if 'in' at the minute though. I would think eventually we'll end up in a society were being gender=sex and orientation aren't assumed. But I feel like the whole gender=/=sex thing is being pushed a bit atm, like people making their young boys play with dolls or wear a skirt. Like their child is part of some social project, and if they get bullied or such, its a fair price for setting a good example for society.

Also a bit of an issue with the way society deals with transgender issues too. Seems to be a real reluctance to talk about the mental side of it. It basically being a mental illness, but its been decided its easier to just accept it than seek to treat it. Wonder how far that will extend as a line of reasoning. Also a bit of an issue for the feminists with gender roles too, like why because you identify as a women do you have to change anything seeing as gender is a social construct?
Original post by jam277
Deleted kik. Made my phone slow down and convos were pretty much recycled bull**** half the time.
Some gifs were lol worthy, lol at the butters lady who thought she was a hottie now being preggers though.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3451943&page=5&p=57763349#post57763349

Kik used to lag the **** out of my old phone when I used it. Even Fb was never that bad, I thought it was just my phone playing up.

Original post by Depleted
:laugh:

Yeah I think I'm the same. Don't think I'll go to mine, don't like the fuss and never went to any leaving stuff at college. If you're into that thing fair enough, people who bang on about it too much annoy me though.

You had more right than others to go tbh, respect to anyone that gets a 1st from LSE/KCL and the like.

I can understand people not wanting to make a fuss over it, but not wanting to go at all? Why? I enjoyed mine tbh... Had a good day at my friends one too but that may simply of been because I didn't see her for the previous month. It's such a rip off tho.

Brb £100 for gown hire and photo
Brb having to line up with total strangers for ages
Brb £30 for a Pimms jug
Brb long boring speeches about Google

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fizzel
I'd be a bit torn. The nature of being transgender, not being like a crossdresser or something. So hormones and such were already going on they began dating. Think she tried to play it down, but seems implausible she wasn't at least suspicious, with moobs from the drugs and women's clothes on suitcases you don't have to be very intelligent to at least ask some serious questions. Just the women's clothes most women would be keen to get the bottom of that. You can't on the one hand take her "me and my kids would beat you" attitude and then ask why at that stage of their relationship there would have been hesitation to be honest then or at any point further down the line.

The issue would boil down to being in a position to be honest from the start, same as you would with sexual orientation, but that would require a lack of stigma which is going to be harder to overcome than being gay I think because of other people being invested in your gender in a way they aren't with your sexuality, parents for example. In same way previously people have struggle to admit they were gay or such, people struggle to admit they are transgender so they end up in an advanced stage of their life basically living a lie, with massive costs for being truthful, which then grow and grow.

I don't blame Kris Jenner totally, most people would be pissed, but I don't really think the blame totally lies with Bruce/Caitlin either, its just a messed up situation in which all of them have some blame. Glad I don't have to deal with it myself or in my family tbh.

Do think the media are making way too bigger deal out of it though, LGBT stuff is kind if 'in' at the minute though. I would think eventually we'll end up in a society were being gender=sex and orientation aren't assumed. But I feel like the whole gender=/=sex thing is being pushed a bit atm, like people making their young boys play with dolls or wear a skirt. Like their child is part of some social project, and if they get bullied or such, its a fair price for setting a good example for society.

Also a bit of an issue with the way society deals with transgender issues too. Seems to be a real reluctance to talk about the mental side of it. It basically being a mental illness, but its been decided its easier to just accept it than seek to treat it. Wonder how far that will extend as a line of reasoning. Also a bit of an issue for the feminists with gender roles too, like why because you identify as a women do you have to change anything seeing as gender is a social construct?

This is absolutely the essence of the issue. Who has decided that being transgender is not just mental illness? Why is this very dependable position, that many silently hold, not even acceptable to air these days without hysteric backlast from liberal SJWs and their enablers?

The cult around 'Caityln' is quite bizarre but it's a sign of the times

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/culturehousedaily/2015/06/call-me-caitlyn-or-else-the-rise-of-authoritarian-transgender-politics/

And being gay is not comparable to being transgender imo. Being gay is just a sexual preference, perfectly natural and understandable since none can deny that a gay person has same sex preferences. But having your sexual organs shaped to look like a females, taking chemicals and having a boob job and hair extensions is not natural in the slightest.
(edited 8 years ago)
I thought graduation last week was a waste a time. But mostly cause im a tight bastard and didn't want to fork out £60 for a Harry Potter cloak that I wore for an hour.

At the ceremony though they gave out lists of who received what (Firsts, upper seconds, lower seconds) which I though was harsh as **** for those who got 2.2s :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
I seem to have sixth sense for being quoted on here.

Original post by Zürich
This is absolutely the essence of the issue. Who has decided that being transgender is not just mental illness? Why is this very dependable position, that many silently hold, not even acceptable to air these days without hysteric backlast from liberal SJWs and their enablers?

And being gay is not comparable to being transgender imo.
I think its probably because people do equate them. Previously people would say being gay was disease of the mind, deviants or something and try to treat people with bad results and prejudices so there is a rejection of discussion of that. Technically DSM classes gender dysphoria as a medical disorder, its more just even DSM suggests rather than treat it, you just match the person with their perceived identity. Think its mainly due to failure to treat in the mental aspect historically.

But having your sexual organs shaped to look like a females, taking chemicals and having a boob job and hair extensions is not natural in the slightest.
I think it is being justified on the basis of a least harm option. People experiencing gender dysphoria have a high suicide rate so, least harm is a pretty broad range of options.
@Fizzel is right about LGBT being the 'in' thing atm.

I've suspected this for a while, have came across a few women who I think just like the idea of being 'queer' (their words not mine).
Original post by Zander01
I thought graduation last week was a waste a time. But mostly cause im a tight bastard and didn't want to fork out £60 for a Harry Potter cloak that I wore for an hour.

At the ceremony though they gave out lists of who received what (Firsts, upper seconds, lower seconds) which I though was harsh as **** for those who got 2.2s :lol:

No way, that's so mean haha. Ours put all of our results on a notice board right next to our names which was bad enough!
At the end of the day he/she is part of the Jenner/Kardashian squad, and they'll literally suck **** for a bit of attention.
You see enough transgender women about, allow the hype.
Original post by sr90
I can understand people not wanting to make a fuss over it, but not wanting to go at all? Why? I enjoyed mine tbh... Had a good day at my friends one too but that may simply of been because I didn't see her for the previous month. It's such a rip off tho.

Brb £100 for gown hire and photo
Brb having to line up with total strangers for ages
Brb £30 for a Pimms jug
Brb long boring speeches about Google

Posted from TSR Mobile

for some people it's a little too fancy and posh and for others they might be too disappointed about their grades to go to it.
and yes, it's a MASSIVE rip off in fairness, but all in all it's a great day and you do actually feel pretty important walking around with your gown and cap and stuff :tongue:

cost me £40 for gown hire and £40 for most basic photo package (i'm not photogenic so why bother...).
tickets were free for yourself and 2 guests which was fair enough, but you had to pay about £30 in advance for your parchment.

so yeah overall they do try their hardest to squeeze whatever they can out of you (even after charging you 27k for a 3 year course), and the idea is that it's a really special occasion that you might never have again so many students/parents will shell out big for it.

Original post by sr90
No way, that's so mean haha. Ours put all of our results on a notice board right next to our names which was bad enough!

jesus christ, really?!
that's really harsh tbh, a little out of order in my opinion.
i understand that with it being marked internally, universities can kinda do whatever they want but i've always grown up having grades as a really private and personal thing.

it just seems odd - results days throughout my life have had grades in a sealed, personal envelope and even for my uni results it was all online after you had to log in and stuff.
you've grown up in a system where grades are really private and nobody other than yourself and your teachers can see them.
seems really weird for them to go the other way at uni and make everything so open; great for those that do well but really mean for those who underachieved.

next they'll line people up and do the ceremony in order of grade so everybody can see who the lowest students were...

my uni did it very well - no mention of your degree result, merely a ceremony where you were hooded with congratulations by the Chancellor.
the only reference to your grade was on your parchment which was obviously sealed anyway.
there was a little note on the timetable saying who the highest few students were (since they received various awards for their attainment), but overall it was really professional and tried to keep everybody on the same level and of equal importance whether they got a first or a third :smile:
Original post by Lúcio
for some people it's a little too fancy and posh and for others they might be too disappointed about their grades to go to it.
and yes, it's a MASSIVE rip off in fairness, but all in all it's a great day and you do actually feel pretty important walking around with your gown and cap and stuff :tongue:

cost me £40 for gown hire and £40 for most basic photo package (i'm not photogenic so why bother...).
tickets were free for yourself and 2 guests which was fair enough, but you had to pay about £30 in advance for your parchment.

so yeah overall they do try their hardest to squeeze whatever they can out of you (even after charging you 27k for a 3 year course), and the idea is that it's a really special occasion that you might never have again so many students/parents will shell out big for it.

jesus christ, really?!
that's really harsh tbh, a little out of order in my opinion.
i understand that with it being marked internally, universities can kinda do whatever they want but i've always grown up having grades as a really private and personal thing.

it just seems odd - results days throughout my life have had grades in a sealed, personal envelope and even for my uni results it was all online after you had to log in and stuff.
you've grown up in a system where grades are really private and nobody other than yourself and your teachers can see them.
seems really weird for them to go the other way at uni and make everything so open; great for those that do well but really mean for those who underachieved.

next they'll line people up and do the ceremony in order of grade so everybody can see who the lowest students were...

my uni did it very well - no mention of your degree result, merely a ceremony where you were hooded with congratulations by the Chancellor.
the only reference to your grade was on your parchment which was obviously sealed anyway.
there was a little note on the timetable saying who the highest few students were (since they received various awards for their attainment), but overall it was really professional and tried to keep everybody on the same level and of equal importance whether they got a first or a third :smile:

Yeah I was shocked as well. And to make it even worse I discovered later on that all of the parents received the same lists too.

Not that I think a 2.2 is anything to be particularly ashamed about but if the majority of people get 2.1 then it would probably dishearten you even more.
It's okay though because you'll walk into a £30k job within 6 months :smile:
Yeah I was shocked as well. And to make it even worse I discovered later on that all of the parents received the same lists too.

Not that I think a 2.2 is anything to be particularly ashamed about but if the majority of people get 2.1 then it would probably dishearten you even more.

That's ridiculous really - I know for universities they may want to show off some of their best graduates with some excellent grades, but there is ALWAYS going to be a variation of grades within the course group.
Fair enough highlighting a select few who did particularly well, but do they honestly think that people who got 2.2/third grades want the whole world knowing about it?

No I couldn't agree more - a 2.2 isn't a bad grade anyway.
It shows that you've passed all components of a multiple year course and you didn't get the lowest possible grade anyway.
The problem is that most people will get 2.1 grades or higher, so it's always going to be tough if you don't quite make it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TornadoGR4

Well we're top 10 for graduate employability apparently so thx mate :smile:

Inb4 FK posts random uni "rankings"

Posted from TSR Mobile
@little_wizard123 So you been to Flat iron yet?
Original post by TornadoGR4

First job paid £45k+bonus

But yeah uni is a waste of time
Reply 7279
Want a break from the ads? Watch this video and receive 30 minutes of ad free music.

Pmo
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest