The Student Room Group

Most prestigious jobs in the UK?

Ignoring specific, individual roles (i.e. Prime Minister), how would you rank UK jobs by prestige?

Scroll to see replies

Wood cutter. :colondollar:
lawyer investment banker doctor etc. are up there
Pimp
Investment Banking is one of them.
Reply 5
engineer.

i admire anyone with sound knowledge of maths and physics and is able to apply it in real life situations :colondollar:
I'd actually rank banking, medicine, law quite low. Fair enough you have to be clued on to get there, but they aren't automatically entitled to my respect.

For me, it's service jobs. Armed Forces, police, care workers, paramedics, RNLI etc. You could say doctors are service, but I have more respect for the care working working 12 hour shifts on minimum than the surgeon doing it for £100k. I know it doesn't really make sense.
CEO of an investment bank/hedge fund.
Pilot is up there for me :tongue:
Civil service? Or no?
Original post by Smilin’ Knight
Pilot is up there for me :tongue:

You want to be a pilot? I get there's a lot that goes into being a pilot. I grew up with someone who wanted to be a commercial pilot; he had a pilots license as soon as he was old enough. I don't believe you need a degree though. Tons of subject specific knowledge. A fair few textbooks and obviously experience is key.
Original post by TornadoGR4
I'd actually rank banking, medicine, law quite low. Fair enough you have to be clued on to get there, but they aren't automatically entitled to my respect.

For me, it's service jobs. Armed Forces, police, care workers, paramedics, RNLI etc. You could say doctors are service, but I have more respect for the care working working 12 hour shifts on minimum than the surgeon doing it for £100k. I know it doesn't really make sense.

The big salary is commensurate with the cost and time put into training.
Original post by Lady Comstock
The big salary is commensurate with the cost and time put into training.

I'm sure it is.
Barristers, QCs, not so much solicitors anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone who earns a lot of money.
doctors
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Anyone who earns a lot of money.

Drug dealers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TornadoGR4

Police, nurses, aye. Soldiers, privates and NCOs? Nah, not automatically deserving of respect. I know too many people who have joined the army and military because they lack any other employment opportunities. That's not something to be admired; that's merely the lack of any other options.

Doctor is the job I most respect. I think some lawyers in some areas of law are respectful and decent people. Not all of them work for Slaughter & May. Some of them will work for Citizens' Advice or will campaign for human rights in the courts working for peanuts.
Original post by Basiji
engineer.

i admire anyone with sound knowledge of maths and physics and is able to apply it in real life situations :colondollar:

How about aerospace engineer? :wink:
Original post by DiddyDec
Barristers, QCs, not so much solicitors anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What has changed?

Quick Reply

Latest