The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cecil was deep, man.

Original post by difeo
lol at the outrage over this lionwho gives a ****
Strong immorality or compassion
Original post by Depleted
Yes because eating an animal and killing purely for boasting reasons are the same

Original post by Wilfred Little
Nothing wrong with killing for food as long as it's responsibly slaughtered from a sustainable population.
This isn't the same thing though and you know it.

You're still valuing your pleasure over an animal's life. We don't need meat to survive. Personally I wouldn't get any enjoyment from hunting and I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't see the difference.

The exception being as you say whether it's from a sustainable population, but that's not why people are getting mad over this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by difeo
You're still valuing your pleasure over an animal's life. We don't need meat to survive. Personally I wouldn't get any enjoyment from hunting and I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't see the difference.
The exception being as you say whether it's from a sustainable population, but that's not why people are getting mad over this.

In the same way you can survive off a diet of oven chips and dust. It's possible, but not healthy. Have you seen what vegetarians and vegans look like? 99% of them are either obese (too many carbs) or look like Belsen survivors ffs.

There is a reason the vast majority of the world's top athletes are not vegans.
Reply 7723
I care tbh. There's absolutely no need to hunt lions.

The lion population has decreased by over 40% and its because of dickheads like these who go out to lion farms, buy lions, set them free & shoot them for a selfie or some ****.

Apart from showing that you're a somewhat skilled shooter (which I'm sure can be proven in other ways) I don't see what else is gained from it.

These little pussys make out as though they're tough.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7724
Original post by The Shed End
Think what the guy is awful, but PETA saying he should be hanged is pretty bad. I mean, what he's done may be morally questionable, but saying he deserves to be killed is a little extreme.

Yeah it is, I think its just being said in the heat of the moment tbh.

He shouldn't be hung, and if he is then its just major hypocrisy.
Original post by SA-1
I care tbh. There's absolutely no need to hunt lions.
The lion population has decreased by over 40% and its because of dickheads like these who go out to lion farms, buy lions, set them free & shoot them for a selfie or some ****.
Apart from showing that you're a somewhat skilled shooter (which I'm sure can be proven in other ways) I don't see what else is gained from it.
These little pussys make out as though they're tough.

Since when? I would suggest that 40% is a very conservative estimate. I can't remember exact numbers but I read 100 years ago there were 300,000 lions in the world and now there are just 2,000? So 40% is way off.
In the same way you can survive off a diet of oven chips and dust. It's possible, but not healthy. Have you seen what vegetarians and vegans look like? 99% of them are either obese (too many carbs) or look like Belsen survivors ffs.

It's entirely possible to get a healthy diet without meat, just buy Quorn or whatever for the protein, and I think they miss out on one B vitamin which you can just take a supplement for. It's a little bit harder and tastes worse so again comes down to valuing your pleasure over animal's lives.

Okay Wilf you're talking **** there. Majority of vegans and vegetarians are healthier than the vast majority of meat-eaters. They have lower rates of cancer, diabetes, heart disease and stroke.

Obviously most athletes are not vegans and vegetarians because (besides the fact that most people in general are not vegans and vegetarians) they usually need high protein intakes, and it's easier to get that from animal products. Two things though, one - nobody here is a professional athlete, and two - just because it's easier doesn't make it right. Plenty of athletes are veggie, it just takes more effort.
Reply 7728
Since when? I would suggest that 40% is a very conservative estimate. I can't remember exact numbers but I read 100 years ago there were 300,000 lions in the world and now there are just 2,000? So 40% is way off.

Two decades if I remember correctly. Over the past century I'm sure the decline is a lot steeper.

Think you're confusing the stats between lions and tigers. The majority of the lion population (especially in Africa) has gone to the tens of thousands, while the tiger population has dropped to the thousands, with two of the eight sub-species already extinct.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not even against hunting for sport, but a lion is not a prey animal. Other than humans the only thing that a lion has to worry about are crocodiles. Its not got the same mentality as a deer or an antelope, and much more damaging to the population. Guy also killed a Rhino, another animal with no natural predators. Its honestly about the same level as shooting someone family labrador and calling it hunting.
Original post by e aí rapaz
Okay Wilf you're talking **** there. Majority of vegans and vegetarians are healthier than the vast majority of meat-eaters. They have lower rates of cancer, diabetes, heart disease and stroke.

How do you know this isn't say, because they don't smoke either? If you're vegan you've actually made a conscious decision to change your diet which is more than can be said for the average meat eater shovelling **** into their mouths every day so it's not unreasonable to assume they don't smoke or have quit smoking.

Obviously most athletes are not vegans and vegetarians because (besides the fact that most people in general are not vegans and vegetarians) they usually need high protein intakes, and it's easier to get that from animal products. Two things though, one - nobody here is a professional athlete, and two - just because it's easier doesn't make it right. Plenty of athletes are veggie, it just takes more effort.

Why is it easier? Just buy Quorn as difeo says. Piece of piss.
He did also illegally bait it out of a wildlife park and stalk it for 24 hours. The guy looks like a complete douchebag as well. Like I said, it was morally questionable, but not something he deserves to be told he should die for. There's a blonde bint on instagram, here names Kendall something, who does exactly the same thing as this guy in the past, but doesn't get nearly enough hate. Doubt he didn't know what lion it was either as he claimed in his statement.
Original post by The Shed End
He did also illegally bait it out of a wildlife park and stalk it for 24 hours. The guy looks like a complete douchebag as well. Like I said, it was morally questionable, but not something he deserves to be told he should die for. There's a blonde bint on instagram, here names Kendall something, who does exactly the same thing as this guy in the past, but doesn't get nearly enough hate. Doubt he didn't know what lion it was either as he claimed in his statement.

Is she the one who posted a video of her shooting a bear?

Original post by SA-1
Two decades if I remember correctly. Over the past century I'm sure the decline is a lot steeper.
Think you're confusing the stats between lions and tigers. The majority of the lion population (especially in Africa) has gone to the tens of thousands, while the tiger population has dropped to the thousands, with two of the eight sub-species already extinct.

Possibly, like I said can't remember. Just 40% seems too small.
How do you know this isn't say, because they don't smoke either? If you're vegan you've actually made a conscious decision to change your diet which is more than can be said for the average meat eater shovelling **** into their mouths every day so it's not unreasonable to assume they don't smoke or have quit smoking.

Why is it easier? Just buy Quorn as difeo says. Piece of piss.

You're right that it's difficult to compare because many vegetarians and vegans are more health-conscious in general, but many studies have been conducted that try their utmost to account for that. Such as studies with controls for smoking habits (that one is pretty easy). Besides, your point that I was refuting was "Have you seen what vegetarians and vegans look like? 99% of them are either obese (too many carbs) or look like Belsen survivors ffs".

Quorn doesn't have as much protein as meat. But anyway, you're right, it's not THAT difficult. So the real reason that most athletes eat animal products is the same reason most normal people do. It's their culture.
Veganism and vegetarianism has a terrible rate of long term adherence too. 80%+ go back to eating animals or animal products at some point.

Its a difficult diet to maintain, people usually fail in terms of satisfaction, calories or balance. Hence I think Wilf has a point, most vegetarians I know are either like rakes or fat as ****. It takes more effort than most people are willing to input to have an enjoyable, balanced diet long term.
Animals are not sentient beings and a chicken is not even aware of its own existence. It's thoughts are limited to ''I'm hungry'' or ''I want to mate now'' and so killing it humanely for human benefit should be of no consequence to anyone. You wouldnt think twice of swatting a fly, a chicken is no different.

What a lot of these leftie new age movements like vegan ism and environmentalism have in common is that they deny human beings' right to shape the planet for our own benefit, which is nonsense basically.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Fizzel
Veganism and vegetarianism has a terrible rate of long term adherence too. 80%+ go back to eating animals or animal products at some point.

Its a difficult diet to maintain, people usually fail in terms of satisfaction, calories or balance. Hence I think Wilf has a point, most vegetarians I know are either like rakes or fat as ****.

That's just anecdotal though. In my own anecdotal experience, they represent a similar range to the rest of the population, except with less fat and obese people. If you go to a vegetarian store or event, the people in general just look normal.

It takes more effort than most people are willing to input to have an enjoyable, balanced diet long term.

I agree, it requires a bit more effort because it's in our culture to eat vast amounts animal products. It's deeply-embedded. And many people are too lazy or too ignorant/uneducated to know how to eat properly without eating meat, or they just like it too damn much since they've grown up their entire lives eating it.
you make a few pro-EDL posts and get slapped with blue cards.

TSR these days.:rolleyes:
Why would you pay over 30 grand to kill a Lion.
Could do a lot of **** which wouldn't result in death threats.
Also against killing animals for pleasure, common among the rich folk but its ok because they have money.
Original post by Rk2k14
Why would you pay over 30 grand to kill a Lion.
Could do a lot of **** which wouldn't result in death threats.
Also against killing animals for pleasure, common among the rich folk but its ok because they have money.

He's probably not practising again in the U.S, and that's if he's not extradited and charged. Good riddance to bad rubbish tbh, and #bandentistry

Latest