The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I hope to get A* A* A A in Dutch, French, Spanish, German at A2 level .
European and Middle Eastern languages: French and Hebrew
I'm still deciding between St Hilda's and Magdalen,
Is anyone else applying for Hebrew?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ivoryfall
Awesome! :smile: I love the look of the course, and the module choices in year 3 and 4 really appeal to me. Probably going to focus on early philosophy modules but also considering taking Japanese as a second language for the last 2 years as I've already studied some before it wouldn't be a major struggle, but the possibility of Tibetan is a bit of a draw for me since I find Tibetan buddhism so interesting. Still, there's PLENTY of time to make those choices! :smile:

Ultimately I'm planning to go into translation, localisation and possibly teaching in the future :smile: Do you have any particular modules you like the look of? :smile: x

Haha, I'm mainly focused on actually getting into the course first, so haven't really thought about year 3/4 module choices that much, although I do think you lose a lot more scope and breadth if you choose a secondary language, bc it takes up so much of your time, you know?

Yeah I'm really into politics and international relations, so it would be super interesting to take a few of those modules!
Original post by googolplexity
Haha, I'm mainly focused on actually getting into the course first, so haven't really thought about year 3/4 module choices that much, although I do think you lose a lot more scope and breadth if you choose a secondary language, bc it takes up so much of your time, you know?

Yeah I'm really into politics and international relations, so it would be super interesting to take a few of those modules!

Yeah I had thought that about the second language, too, which is why I'm erring over it. It's nice to hear other perspectives :smile: Oh wow, politics! Intense! Lots of respect for people who can handle politics, it's always been quite an intimidating subject to me.
Hahahaha I know it must seem presumptuous to be planning so far ahead (totally hear you, getting onto the course is priority one!) but having some sort of plan in place helps me maintain my focus and to keep me aiming 'straight and true' for what I want to achieve and where I want to go :smile:
x
Yeah I had thought that about the second language, too, which is why I'm erring over it. It's nice to hear other perspectives :smile: Oh wow, politics! Intense! Lots of respect for people who can handle politics, it's always been quite an intimidating subject to me.
Hahahaha I know it must seem presumptuous to be planning so far ahead (totally hear you, getting onto the course is priority one!) but having some sort of plan in place helps me maintain my focus and to keep me aiming 'straight and true' for what I want to achieve and where I want to go :smile:
x

Haha, yeah I like politics a lot (despite the fact that I hate the A-level and am dropping it regardless of what happens on results day). Not presumptuous at all! I like to make plans and stuff, but I also think, because the course would be so new and so different, that I don't wanna make dead set plans, when I have no idea what's gonna happen, you know?
Original post by googolplexity
Haha, yeah I like politics a lot (despite the fact that I hate the A-level and am dropping it regardless of what happens on results day). Not presumptuous at all! I like to make plans and stuff, but I also think, because the course would be so new and so different, that I don't wanna make dead set plans, when I have no idea what's gonna happen, you know?

I hear that often A-Level courses and higher level courses of the same topic are vaaaaastly different, so chances are you'll enjoy it more than A -Level anyway :smile: Oh definitely, plans are always liable to change! :smile:
x
Reply 1325
Hello,

I am planning to apply to Oxford for 2016 entry.

However, I am taking the SAT-R in October and the SAT II tests in November.

I have no previous qualifications so will the University of Oxford offer me a conditional offer based merely on my personal statement, reference, and MAT test?
GCSE grades: 5A* 6A :s-smilie: (Literally grasping at straws here...)(Took German a year early, self-taught A*)
A-Levels: German, French, Chemistry, *Maths- Dropped after AS* (German AS and A2 Self-Taught... Again :frown: )
Course: German and Arabic
College: St Anne's :h:

I feel like the only double linguist on this thread??! :frown:
Original post by Karamt
Hello,

I have no previous qualifications so will the University of Oxford offer me a conditional offer based merely on my personal statement, reference, and MAT test?

So, you are planning on applying for Math or Computer Science at Oxford. You haven't taken the SAT, but are taking it for the first time in October of your senior year. You haven't taken any SAT subject tests or APs, but you are planning on taking subject tests in November, which means the Math II and what else? So the only objective assessment you will apply with is the MAT, yes?

Well, anything is possible, but applying with no scores at all doesn't give the tutors much to go on. I guess if you do an amazing job on the MAT it is possible to get to interview, but it seems a long shot. Are there background reasons why you have no scores?
Original post by bekkahbee44
GCSE grades: 5A* 6A :s-smilie: (Literally grasping at straws here...)(Took German a year early, self-taught A*)
A-Levels: German, French, Chemistry, *Maths- Dropped after AS* (German AS and A2 Self-Taught... Again :frown: )
Course: German and Arabic
College: St Anne's :h:

I feel like the only double linguist on this thread??! :frown:

Nahhh you're not, I'm applying for French and ab initio Russian :biggrin:
Original post by Karamt
Hello,

Yes, if you do well enough on the MAT and interviews. Not having any previous qualifications makes it harder for us to assess you; but the MAT and interviews are the main things.

Gavin
If you're applying for Law check my thread :smile:
the joys of writing personal statements- ugh ._.
Original post by tilly5798

I know the feels. I've been writing and re-writing and editing mine for months! x
I know the feels. I've been writing and re-writing and editing mine for months! x

That's good, I've only done one draft, and am struggling on what to put first and how to make it stand out >____<

What subject are you planning to study?
That's good, I've only done one draft, and am struggling on what to put first and how to make it stand out >____<

What subject are you planning to study?

I'm applying for Chinese. My difficulty is making it sound enthusiastic but also intelligent. I am great at lots of descriptive, vibrant waffle, but that won't get me into Oxford :,)
x

The most unnerving task in the history of unnerving tasks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1336
GCSE grades: 10 A*s, 1 A
A-Levels: Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Chinese (Mandarin)
Course: Physics
College: Merton
Reply 1337
For those of you who haven't chosen a college yet, I thought I'd just drop this here!

http://www.cherwell.org/comment/features/2015/02/27/oxstew-unless-conscious-college-choice-does-not-matter
Original post by AdamY
For those of you who haven't chosen a college yet, I thought I'd just drop this here!

http://www.cherwell.org/comment/features/2015/02/27/oxstew-unless-conscious-college-choice-does-not-matter

God bless your soul

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TARS
GCSE grades: 10 A*s, 1 A
A-Levels: Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Chinese (Mandarin)
Course: Physics
College: Merton

What exam board do you do Mandarin with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending