The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Are you the muso person I talked to the other day? I don't think it's outright banned but it would depend on the reasons for retaking a whole year?

Quite a few people apply to Oxford post-A2, having secured AAA at A2, so that might be a preferable option, rather than resitting a whole year.

If you really want to take three years to do your A Levels in order to apply for music at Oxford, I'd recommend emailing Alec Sims:
http://www.music.ox.ac.uk/about/people/administration-staff/alec-sims/

Yes, thanks for replying and sorry to bug you again.

So i can carry on with my A-Levels after A2? (Pretty much a gap year but working on my A-levels instead?)
Are you the muso person I talked to the other day? I don't think it's outright banned but it would depend on the reasons for retaking a whole year?

Quite a few people apply to Oxford post-A2, having secured AAA at A2, so that might be a preferable option, rather than resitting a whole year.

If you really want to take three years to do your A Levels in order to apply for music at Oxford, I'd recommend emailing Alec Sims:
http://www.music.ox.ac.uk/about/people/administration-staff/alec-sims/

Yeah- well do Oxford care about your fourth AS subject? (my D in biology...)
Original post by tilly5798
Yes, thanks for replying and sorry to bug you again.

So i can carry on with my A-Levels after A2? (Pretty much a gap year but working on my A-levels instead?)

No need to apologise, I love helping/talking to musos! There are so few of them :cry2: So it's great to talk to you :biggrin: You can ask me as many questions as you like.

D in Biology shouldn't matter - I applied and got in with a C in AS Physics :ahee:

Sorry, what I meant is go ahead with your A2s and if you get AAA or higher, then apply during a gap year during which you'd do something like travelling or earning money or something music-related :yes:

If you really feel you need to spend three years on AS/A2 levels, I would strongly recommend asking Alec Sims whether you would stand a reasonable chance. I don't *think* there is anything for music saying you have to do everything within 2 years but it's good to know from the horse's mouth :smile:
No need to apologise, I love helping/talking to musos! There are so few of them :cry2: So it's great to talk to you :biggrin: You can ask me as many questions as you like.

D in Biology shouldn't matter - I applied and got in with a C in AS Physics :ahee:

Sorry, what I meant is go ahead with your A2s and if you get AAA or higher, then apply during a gap year during which you'd do something like travelling or earning money or something music-related :yes:

If you really feel you need to spend three years on AS/A2 levels, I would strongly recommend asking Alec Sims whether you would stand a reasonable chance. I don't *think* there is anything for music saying you have to do everything within 2 years but it's good to know from the horse's mouth :smile:

I know right? I've only met two or three musos on this forum!
Thats good, because i plan to give private violin/theory lessons as i've signed a DBS form to confirm that i haven't got a criminal past ^^

Okay, i shall think about it- so should i apply for deferred entry then?
I know right? I've only met two or three musos on this forum!
Thats good, because i plan to give private violin/theory lessons as i've signed a DBS form to confirm that i haven't got a criminal past ^^

Okay, i shall think about it- so should i apply for deferred entry then?

Sorry, my bad, my posts aren't very clear. What I mean is if you are worried that your AS grades will hold you back, do what quite a few Oxford musos do and do your A2s. Get your results in August 2016, apply to Oxford in October 2016, interview in December 2016, to (potentially) take up a place in October 2017. Does that make more sense? :colondollar:
Sorry, my bad, my posts aren't very clear. What I mean is if you are worried that your AS grades will hold you back, do what quite a few Oxford musos do and do your A2s. Get your results in August 2016, apply to Oxford in October 2016, interview in December 2016, to (potentially) take up a place in October 2017. Does that make more sense? :colondollar:

Yes it does now!- Sorry, it was not you, i just misunderstood so my bad ^^!

I will definitely take that into consideration, so thank you once again.
Yes it does now!- Sorry, it was not you, i just misunderstood so my bad ^^!

I will definitely take that into consideration, so thank you once again.

No worries, I am quite bad at explaining my thought patterns sometimes, so understandable that you got a bit confused as to what I meant :redface:

I just think that what I've outlined above might be a better alternative to taking three years to do your A Levels. But Alec will be able to advise you. He's absolutely lovely and very willing to help prospective applicants, so please don't hesitate to email him :smile:
Original post by AspirantPPE
Would like that a great deal! I'll pm you sometime!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do make sure if you are taking up this person's offer that you ONLY email it to them if they provide you with an Oxford Uni email address, so that you're sure it's not some fellow applicant about to nick your statement :eek:
Hi guys, i'm hoping to apply for Computer science and Mathematics at oxford.

GCSE: 8A*'s and 5A's

AS Levels: 4A's in Biology, chemistry, maths and accounting
I will be predicted A*A*A next year - Do you think i would be a competitive applicant.
Original post by kathan30

I will be predicted A*A*A next year - Do you think i would be a competitive applicant.

Take a look at, and submit your info to the stalking page, see OP#1
Reply 1710
I really wanted to apply here for medicine but gcses :colonhash:
Original post by kathan30

Your grades are typical of those for successful applicants. However, the MAT and interviews are most important. Good luck!

Gavin
Do make sure if you are taking up this person's offer that you ONLY email it to them if they provide you with an Oxford Uni email address, so that you're sure it's not some fellow applicant about to nick your statement :eek:

Good advice, cheers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aprocrastinator
Hey guys, I'm asking on behalf of my brother who wants to do Economics and is thinking about Oxbridge. I am familiar with Cambridge application process but not with Oxford's. He got his GCSE results today which were 12A*s and 2As (he's remarking the 2As :tongue:) and I was wondering if these results would be good enough for Economics?

Oxford doesn't have an Economics course, so he'll struggle to get an offer for it.
Original post by KristaWinchester
Sorry for the typical '''are my grades''' but...
Got GCSEs today, 4A*s, 3As and 4Bs but I'm looking at getting 2 As remarked as I was a few marks off of A*s.
So at worst my grades are above, at best 6A*s, 1A and 4Bs. I would like to do Psychology and I am planning to smash my A levels, plus get relevant Work Experience with a local clinical and business psychologist.
So... are my grades good enough? :colondollar:

They're probably not going to be something that stops you getting an offer :smile:
Original post by katsanders2107
I would like to apply for biomedicine at Oxford but I got 4A*s, 5As and 2Bs at GCSE then 5 As including an EPQ at AS levels, I know I flunked GCSEs but is it still worth taking the BMAT and applying to Oxford or do I have no chance?

Your grades are quite a lot lower than most I'm afraid:
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/bms/applying/admissions-statistics
Original post by fluteflute
They're probably not going to be something that stops you getting an offer :smile:

Huge weight off my chest- thank you!! :smile:
Hi,

I am looking to apply for Maths.

GCSEs: 8A*s 3As (Best in the school)
AS Levels: Maths A (98.6%), Further Maths A (91%), Chemistry A (86%), Biology B (79% - awaiting remark)

My only concern is that I am extremely nervous about being able to do well enough in the MAT, and I know this is a vital component of the application process. Does anyone have any advice on how to start preparing for the MAT?
Original post by GingerGnu
Hi,

I am looking to apply for Maths.

GCSEs: 8A*s 3As (Best in the school)
AS Levels: Maths A (98.6%), Further Maths A (91%), Chemistry A (86%), Biology B (79% - awaiting remark)

My only concern is that I am extremely nervous about being able to do well enough in the MAT, and I know this is a vital component of the application process. Does anyone have any advice on how to start preparing for the MAT?

How did you do in GCSEs? And take a look at the MAT thread for this year under the Maths Exams forums.
Original post by Eux
How did you do in GCSEs? And take a look at the MAT thread for this year under the Maths Exams forums.

My GCSEs are 8A*s and 3As - thank you :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending