The Student Room Group

Worth a AQA Chemistry Remark?

I wrote for Q4(a)(ii) CHEM2 June 2015:

A high operating pressure means that there are more gas particles in a given volume. This means that particles will be more closer together and collide more often. Also, there will be a lot more particles with energy greater than or equal to the activation energy. This means that there will be more frequent successful collisions in a given time so faster rate of reaction.A higher pressure also means that particles will be colliding with each other more and more particles will be moving in a random manner so a faster rate of reaction. As more particles are moving about randomly and there are more particles in a given volume, this will increase the number of frequent successful collisions so a faster rate of reaction.

The mark scheme says:

M1The reaction gets to equilibrium faster / in less time
OR
Produces a small yield faster / in less time
OR
Increases the rate (of reaction / of attainment of equilibrium)

M2 High pressure leads to one of the following
more particles / molecules in a given volume
particles / they are closer together
higher concentration of particles /molecules
AND more collisions in a given time / increased collision frequency

Is it worth remarking for this mark? I felt I got M1 for a faster rate of reaction and M2 I obviously got. I have bolded what I feel is creditworthy.

Thanks in advance. Ik it's 1 mark but it is 2 UMS. I am also thinking of remarking CHEM1 having got my script back as well.
i supose it is worth a try because it it is in the mark sceme, i think they did want something about equilibrium though. but on remarks they are a bit nicer and you might get one somewhere else aswell :smile: if not dont worry one is quite easy to make up somewhere else :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Amber May
i supose it is worth a try because it it is in the mark sceme, i think they did want something about equilibrium though. but on remarks they are a bit nicer and you might get one somewhere else aswell :smile: if not dont worry one is quite easy to make up somewhere else :smile:

Thanks for your advice :smile:

I got 98/100 so I'm not sure if it's worth remarking... the other mark I lost was completely wrong so no chance of that going up. The remark won't change my grades but just the average UMS and personal satisfaction! I don't think I can go down elsewhere but I will wait for advice from my teacher.

I got 68/70 in chem1 and want to remark that as well as I am 100% sure I should have got a mark but another question could go down 1 so I'm not too sure...
Reply 3
Was it 1:1 raw : UMS?

You should be doing OCR, 58/60 raw got 90/90 UMS (maybe even 57/60 for 90 UMS, 56 got 87 UMS) on paper 1
Paper 2 needed 96/100 raw to get 150/150 UMS.
Original post by PS4
Thanks for your advice :smile:

I got 98/100 so I'm not sure if it's worth remarking... the other mark I lost was completely wrong so no chance of that going up. The remark won't change my grades but just the average UMS and personal satisfaction! I don't think I can go down elsewhere but I will wait for advice from my teacher.

I got 68/70 in chem1 and want to remark that as well as I am 100% sure I should have got a mark but another question could go down 1 so I'm not too sure...

ok then yeah mabey not worth it if your school are gonna charge you for it! I dont think they can take marks off you though, i think with remarks you can only go up or stay the same :smile:

Those are good marks, what are your other subjects/ what do you want to at Uni (if at all) ? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Pigster
Was it 1:1 raw : UMS?

You should be doing OCR, 58/60 raw got 90/90 UMS (maybe even 57/60 for 90 UMS, 56 got 87 UMS) on paper 1
Paper 2 needed 96/100 raw to get 150/150 UMS.

No it was around 1 mark is 1.5 ums. I have heard that ocr chemistry is easier but my school did aqa :smile:

What do you think of me remarking it?
Reply 6
Original post by Amber May
ok then yeah mabey not worth it if your school are gonna charge you for it! I dont think they can take marks off you though, i think with remarks you can only go up or stay the same :smile:

Those are good marks, what are your other subjects/ what do you want to at Uni (if at all) ? :smile:

Thank you :smile:

My other subjects are a2 maths (already completed), a2 chemistry a2 economics and a2 further maths.

I intend to do economics at either lse ucl warwick Cambridge or Durham!

What about yourself? :smile:

Thanks for the advice!
Reply 7
Bump
Reply 8
Original post by PS4
I wrote for Q4(a)(ii) CHEM2 June 2015:

A high operating pressure means that there are more gas particles in a given volume. This means that particles will be more closer together and collide more often. Also, there will be a lot more particles with energy greater than or equal to the activation energy. This means that there will be more frequent successful collisions in a given time so faster rate of reaction.A higher pressure also means that particles will be colliding with each other more and more particles will be moving in a random manner so a faster rate of reaction. As more particles are moving about randomly and there are more particles in a given volume, this will increase the number of frequent successful collisions so a faster rate of reaction.

The mark scheme says:

M1The reaction gets to equilibrium faster / in less time
OR
Produces a small yield faster / in less time
OR
Increases the rate (of reaction / of attainment of equilibrium)

M2 High pressure leads to one of the following
more particles / molecules in a given volume
particles / they are closer together
higher concentration of particles /molecules
AND more collisions in a given time / increased collision frequency

Is it worth remarking for this mark? I felt I got M1 for a faster rate of reaction and M2 I obviously got. I have bolded what I feel is creditworthy.

Thanks in advance. Ik it's 1 mark but it is 2 UMS. I am also thinking of remarking CHEM1 having got my script back as well.

Hi,Do you know where I can get the official or unofficial markscheme for AS Level Chemistry Unit 2 AQA? I've tried and tried but I can't find it - Just want to see if it's worth sending my paper off for a remark or not. Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by cb103
Hi,Do you know where I can get the official or unofficial markscheme for AS Level Chemistry Unit 2 AQA? I've tried and tried but I can't find it - Just want to see if it's worth sending my paper off for a remark or not. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-YN4_YfkBkVfnAzMWpjTkRsMnVaRFRIeUdqOERYLTBlTmNBX2I2eUY0c2NoTGtrSUlsblU&usp=sharing&tid=0B-YN4_YfkBkVfkZiYUNtd1k3dnFKMHZXdWlZVHQyZzVOS2YyQWlDcDBaSXBaWmdDU3FYS1k
Reply 10
Is mine worth remarking?
Reply 11
I'm only 2 raw marks far behind the A, do you think there is any chance for increase if I get it remarked?
I'm doing AS

Quick Reply

Latest