The Student Room Group

When will the new GCSE reforms come into play?

Some say new GCSE will be taught in 2015,others say 2017

http://www.aqa.org.uk/supporting-education/policy/gcse-and-a-level-changes/structure-of-new-gcses

Official AQA website says New gcse(9-1) will be available from september 2015

"

GCSE English will be reformed for first teaching in September 2015, first assessment 2017

"

quoted from the website

it says it'll be available from 2015(for english,maths etc) but then at the bottom of the page it says the first assessment will commence in 2017

Can someone elaborate?

Because i really dont want to start the reforms..

Whats the difference between first teaching and first assessment?

Whats the point of teaching in 2015,but assessing in 2017?

My question is when will the reformed GCSE take place.and actually start affecting us (i.e:being graded 1-9 on our results sheet)

Fyi,i am going in year 11 this september.Will i be affected?
Reply 1
Edit :will the new "devoloped " English and Maths gcse ONLY be taught to year 10s and belows(thus not affecting current year 11s?)
Hello!
I'm also going to year 11 and our teachers say that we will not be affected by the reforms.
To elaborate :
GCSE's last for 2 years. If it says that first teaching will commence in 2015, then the people who will start their GCSE's this September will be affected. These people are the the one's that are going to Year 10. First assessment basically means when they will face the exams. 2017 is when the Year 10's will face their exam.
I hope I explained it well. Just ask if you didn't get it.
good luck :smile:
Original post by Blancosdos
Edit :will the new "devoloped " English and Maths gcse ONLY be taught to year 10s and belows(thus not affecting current year 11s?)

I think from what i have heard from teachers, my school and the news that the reforms will affect those entering year 10 in 2015 (so starting the new courses) so it won't affect you (you will be the last year to use the current system of linear exams graded in letters with a coursework element). I have just done my GCSEs and these were graded using letters (A*,A,B etc) and some subjects such as english, history, product design and the sciences had a coursework element. These in languages and english were called controlled assesments and i believe that for the new courses this is gradually being phased out (can't be sure though). The new courses are designed to be much harder i believe and include much more content e.g more topics for maths a greater number of years covered in history etc and will now be graded using numbers with 9 being the top grade. The new courses will start for most subjects in 2015 for the new yr 10s and the first exams will be in 2017 :smile:

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 4
Thanks a lot
@paranoid197
@CoolCavy
Reply 5
Original post by CoolCavy
I think from what i have heard from teachers, my school and the news that the reforms will affect those entering year 10 in 2015 (so starting the new courses) so it won't affect you (you will be the last year to use the current system of linear exams graded in letters with a coursework element). I have just done my GCSEs and these were graded using letters (A*,A,B etc) and some subjects such as english, history, product design and the sciences had a coursework element. These in languages and english were called controlled assesments and i believe that for the new courses this is gradually being phased out (can't be sure though). The new courses are designed to be much harder i believe and include much more content e.g more topics for maths a greater number of years covered in history etc and will now be graded using numbers with 9 being the top grade. The new courses will start for most subjects in 2015 for the new yr 10s and the first exams will be in 2017 :smile:

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Helped alot :smile:
Original post by Blancosdos
Helped alot :smile:

Im glad :biggrin: always happy 2 help :h:

Quick Reply

Latest