The Student Room Group

Which phrase best sums up creating content on TSR?

Poll

Which button label for creating new content on TSR would you prefer to see?

As part of our ongoing work making sure The Student Room resonates with all of the students and users of the site, we are taking our time to go through and check the language we use to describe taking part in certain things on TSR.

Users like yourselves come and create conversations on The Student Room for a whole multitude of reasons, and it can be a struggle to get the wording right on the buttons users like yourself use when you want to get involved in what the site has to offer.

What do we mean when talking about buttons? Well, most of you will have seen some of the buttons we have on site that allow users to create new conversations. For example:

1.) Ask a Question button on the top of the screen:

AAQ.PNG

2.) Start new discussion button that sits on pre-existing conversations on TSR:

Start New Discussion.PNG

However, does this make the most sense to you? Do you know exactly what these clicking on these buttons means?

We wanted to put out a poll and create a discussion to ask you exactly that. If you have any suggestions for making content creation and the language we use to signpost users into new threads easier and more understandable then we would love to hear it :smile:

Add your suggestions below!
(edited 11 months ago)
Hmm it's tricky because sometimes someone might be asking a question (so that would be the best phrase as it's quite specific) but sometimes it's not so much a question but a discussion/chat :holmes:
"Start Discussion" for Chat/Entertainment, "Ask a Question" for A-level/GCSE etc... and "Start a War" for the News and Current Affairs/Religion/UK Politics sections
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by GeT_iN_SHinJI
"Start a War" for the News and Current Affairs/Religion/UK Politics sections

:rofl: Well played!
I think the current labels make the most sense. Most of the threads on TSR are questions, so it makes sense that the primary button would be "ask a question". Chat, post and conversation seem to be too unclear as to what the thread type is.
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Hmm it's tricky because sometimes someone might be asking a question (so that would be the best phrase as it's quite specific) but sometimes it's not so much a question but a discussion/chat :holmes:

That's why I chose "Create a post". I would say that fits most in :smile:
Original post by iL1L
That's why I chose "Create a post". I would say that fits most in :smile:

"Post" could be ambiguous as to whether it's the OP of a new discussion or a new post in an existing thread, though.
Reply 7
"Create a post" seems the most generic to me.
Original post by GeT_iN_SHinJI
"Start Discussion" for Chat/Entertainment, "Ask a Question" for A-level/GCSE etc...

If it's possible to have a split, I'd be in favour of this.

My worry with "Create Post" is that the word post also refers to replies to threads, rather than threads themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending