The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
i have b grades in igcse is it possible to go for oxford or cambridge?
Original post by me2*
i have b grades in igcse is it possible to go for oxford or cambridge?

How many B grades? What are your other grades?
Original post by Dottymoo6
Hi, do you have the GCSE data for Geography please? Sorry, I know you are getting a lot of these!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We can - NB remember to click quote when responding to posts as otherwise it is a bit hit and miss whether posters will see your query.

Applied to Brasenose for Geography, took GCSEs, invited to interview at Oxford:
10A* 8A*-1A 9A*-3A 8A*-2A 8A*-1A-1B 5A*-7A 6A*-2A-1B 10A*-1A 11A*-3A-1C 9A*-2A-1B 7A*-3A-1B 10A* 5A*-4A 8A*-2A 6A*-3A-1B 10A*-2A 6A*-4A 5A*-5A 7A*-4A 4A*-7A 10A* 6A*-4A-1B 11A*-1A 10A* 11A* 9A*-1A 7A*-3A-1B 8A*-2A 11A*
A pretty consistent pattern characterises all the listings we've produced. Overall, applicants tend to have impressive GCSEs (8,9,10 or more A*s) but some candidates are interviewed with 5,6 or 7 A*s, particularly where admissions tests are taken. Applicants with 2,3, or 4 A*s may well have contextual data flags or other exceptional circumstances which indicate that their GCSE performance lies significantly above the attainment level that might be expected for their school peer group.We think the profiles we see are in line with the rest of the University.

The take-aways, we would suggest, are the following. Oxford cannot interview every applicant but will seek to interview as many candidates as possible. By no means every applicant has a perfect GCSE (or for that matter AS) profile. The admissions tests will be a factor in the decision and in marginal cases the combined test score and GCSE profile is going to figure. Oxford will also take into account context and exceptional circumstances if there are reasons to think prior attainment is not a good guide to potential.
Reply 1983
Original post by Plagioclase
How many B grades? What are your other grades?

well i got bbbbbbc + AA in AS maths , iam about to give A2 maths+ASphysics+A2physics+furthermaths:afraid:
Original post by skylake
If if it hasn't been done already could you provide the same information for economics and management?

Same criteria as before: applied to Brasensoe, took GCSEs, invited to interview at Oxford:

10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-2A 10A*-3A 11A* 11A*-1A 11A*-1A 11A*-1A-1B 11A*-2A 4A*-4A-2B 5A*-6A 5A*-6A-2B 7A*-1A 7A*-2A-2B 7A*-3A 7A*-3A 7A*-4A 8A*-2A 8A*-2A-1B 8A*-2A-2B 8A*-4A 9A* 9A*-1A-1B 9A*-1B 9A*-2A
Original post by me2*
well i got bbbbbbc + AA in AS maths , iam about to give A2 maths+ASphysics+A2physics+furthermaths:afraid:

You're very unlikely to get very far unfortunately. If your A2 grades are good you could apply post A level, as you'll demonstrate a strong improvement.
Reply 1986
so its still possible?
Reply 1987
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Same criteria as before: applied to Brasensoe, took GCSEs, invited to interview at Oxford:

10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A* 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-1A 10A*-2A 10A*-3A 11A* 11A*-1A 11A*-1A 11A*-1A-1B 11A*-2A 4A*-4A-2B 5A*-6A 5A*-6A-2B 7A*-1A 7A*-2A-2B 7A*-3A 7A*-3A 7A*-4A 8A*-2A 8A*-2A-1B 8A*-2A-2B 8A*-4A 9A* 9A*-1A-1B 9A*-1B 9A*-2A

Hi, can I ask how many candidates applied, were interviewed and were offered places at Brasenose over the last few years for History & Economics ?
Could you also shed any light on the new HAT for HECO applicants, as we've been told the format will change but no further details have been given and my emails to the departments have been ignored.

Sorry another couple of questions... do predicted grades that surpass the requirements hold any weighting in the admissions process? E.g if the requirement is AAA, will being predicted A*A*A* be an advantage?

What's the standard offer for History&Economics for candidates with 4 A-levels?

If AS module scores are included on the UCAS form, are they ignored ?

Thanks so much
Original post by me2*
so its still possible?

If you apply in October 2016 for 2017 entry with your full A level results in hand, but tutors would be fairly concerned with those GCSEs when other applicants will be applying with lots of A*s.
Reply 1989
isnt the standard offer a*AA
I have 10 a* and 2 a's at GCSEs. And took the following AS SUBJECTS:- maths (A-95%), Further maths(no AS grade, will have a full mark next summer (mixed a2 units is why)), economics (A-88%), physics (A-96%), chemistry (A-88%), general studies (A), critical thinking (A). (Also doing EPQ)

I want to read economics and management at Oxford. I know this is the most competitive (statistically speaking) course at Oxford, and I was wondering what my chances are? And if there is anything I can do to better my chances. (Would Cambridge economics be a better option?)

It might be worth noting I was the finance director of my YE firm, and have entered a couple essay competitions/read around the subject a bit. Haven't yet received predicted A2 grades but I'm sure they'll be fine.

Thanks all.
We can - NB remember to click quote when responding to posts as otherwise it is a bit hit and miss whether posters will see your query.

Applied to Brasenose for Geography, took GCSEs, invited to interview at Oxford:
10A* 8A*-1A 9A*-3A 8A*-2A 8A*-1A-1B 5A*-7A 6A*-2A-1B 10A*-1A 11A*-3A-1C 9A*-2A-1B 7A*-3A-1B 10A* 5A*-4A 8A*-2A 6A*-3A-1B 10A*-2A 6A*-4A 5A*-5A 7A*-4A 4A*-7A 10A* 6A*-4A-1B 11A*-1A 10A* 11A* 9A*-1A 7A*-3A-1B 8A*-2A 11A*
A pretty consistent pattern characterises all the listings we've produced. Overall, applicants tend to have impressive GCSEs (8,9,10 or more A*s) but some candidates are interviewed with 5,6 or 7 A*s, particularly where admissions tests are taken. Applicants with 2,3, or 4 A*s may well have contextual data flags or other exceptional circumstances which indicate that their GCSE performance lies significantly above the attainment level that might be expected for their school peer group.We think the profiles we see are in line with the rest of the University.

The take-aways, we would suggest, are the following. Oxford cannot interview every applicant but will seek to interview as many candidates as possible. By no means every applicant has a perfect GCSE (or for that matter AS) profile. The admissions tests will be a factor in the decision and in marginal cases the combined test score and GCSE profile is going to figure. Oxford will also take into account context and exceptional circumstances if there are reasons to think prior attainment is not a good guide to potential.

Thank you very much, that's very helpful to know!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same criteria as before: applied to Brasenose, took GCSEs, invited to interview. Note that Engineering attracts some international applicants who do not have GCSEs so this is not a complete listing of interview candidates.

9A*-1A 9A*-1A 7A*-3A-1B 3A*-6A-1B 4A*-2B 3A*-2C 8A*-3A-2B 10A* 10A*-1A-1B 3A*-1A-2B 9A*-1A 11A*-1A 9A*-2A 11A* 8A*-2A 10A*-1A 8A*-2A 8A*-2A-1B 9A*-1A 7A*-2A 6A*-2A-1B

Can you please post the same for experimental psychology ?

Also, I got 2A*5A2B but these were one of the highest at my school (international). What's worse is that I appeared for my IGCSEs over two sessions, each a year apart. This is because I studied 5 subjects over a course of two years ( Year 9 and Year 10) and in Year 11, I did the remaining four. Our school didn't offer many subject choices, the most I could take was 6 which is why after leaving that school I took up the remaining four. In addition, our centre had only two students who each received one A*, one of the students being me. In total, we were five students who appeared for the IGCSEs. In my AS results, I received AABB but both of my B's were two marks away from an A and I'm resitting one of them in November (the other I can pull it up to an A*). Due to being an international applicant, things are very difficult for me as my teachers have told me that they cannot predict my grades until at least December. My referee who is also my English teacher has never written or even seen any reference before.
Will Oxford consider my circumstances?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by me2*
isnt the standard offer a*AA

For some subjects, others its AAA or A*A*A
Same criteria as before: applied to Brasenose, took GCSEs, invited to interview. Note that Engineering attracts some international applicants who do not have GCSEs so this is not a complete listing of interview candidates.

9A*-1A 9A*-1A 7A*-3A-1B 3A*-6A-1B 4A*-2B 3A*-2C 8A*-3A-2B 10A* 10A*-1A-1B 3A*-1A-2B 9A*-1A 11A*-1A 9A*-2A 11A* 8A*-2A 10A*-1A 8A*-2A 8A*-2A-1B 9A*-1A 7A*-2A 6A*-2A-1B

It's nice to see that Engineering Science tends to have fewer candidates with a clean sweep of A*s at GCSE. Personally I'm applying with 8 A*s and 2 As which I hope is sitting on or slightly above the average. Thanks very much
I came to UK in year 11 so I did my GCSEs in one year and I have achieved 4A* 3A 2B. In year 12 I got AAAAB. I would like to apply to PPE at Oxford, however my GCSEs are not great and the competition is very strong. Is it worth applying to Oxford?
Original post by ddbrain
I came to UK in year 11 so I did my GCSEs in one year and I have achieved 4A* 3A 2B. In year 12 I got AAAAB. I would like to apply to PPE at Oxford, however my GCSEs are not great and the competition is very strong. Is it worth applying to Oxford?

your gcses are on the low side. how are your UMSes? have you considered cambridge or LSE? well done on your amazing AS grades btw!!
Original post by 08rdiss
Hi, guys :smile:
I have just received my A level results and am hoping to apply to read biochemistry at Oxford in 2016.
I achieved A*AA in Biology, Chemistry and Maths but my GCSEs are less "Oxford standard". Is it still worth applying?
Thanks!

You've hit the entrance requirements on the head, so I don't see why not? GCSEs are only one part of the application and are probably most helpful for applicants who have not yet completed their A-Levels.

I've just graduated from biochemistry - happy to try and answer any questions if you'd like.
Thank you :smile: my UMSes are above 90% in the subjects where I got an A. I haven't considered Cambridge because I'm love with Oxford. LSE might be another option.
Reply 1999
Hi I was wondering what kind of GCSEs would be alright to apply for biomed? Thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending