The Student Room Group

Precalculus question. if f(x) = 3x + 7, find [ f (a + h) - f (a) ] / h?

what brings a and h into all of this?? v confused as i havent done this stuff in a while.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by finewhateverx
what brings a and h into all of this?? v confused as i havent done this stuff in a while.

This is "differentiation from first principles" which is not simple so I doubt anyone is going to give you a full explanation here.

I recommend you look in a textbook or search Google for an explanation.
Original post by notnek
This is "differentiation from first principles" which is not simple so I doubt anyone is going to give you a full explanation here.

Challenge accepted! :P

To find f(a + h) you substitute (a + h) for x into f(x).
Original post by notnek

thank you i'll look that up
Original post by Muttley79
To find f(a + h) you substitute (a + h) for x into f(x).

sorry but could you explain why?
Original post by notnek

never mind, they haven't even learnt f(x) notation, you were right :frown:
sorry but could you explain why?

Have you met function notation?

For example if f(x) = 5x + 3 then f(2) = (5 x 2) + 3 = 13

or, more clearly:

Unparseable latex formula:

f(x) = 2x^2 + 4x + 7\[br]\[br][br]f(3) = 2(3)^2+4(3) + 7 = 37\[br]f(5) = 2(5)^2+4(5) + 7 = 77\[br]

Original post by Callum Scott
or, more clearly:

Unparseable latex formula:

f(x) = 2x^2 + 4x + 7\[br]\[br][br]f(3) = 2(3)^2+4(3) + 7 = 37\[br]f(5) = 2(5)^2+4(5) + 7 = 77\[br]

That's NOT clearer - the function the OP is dealing with is linear - you've just over-complicated it!
That's NOT clearer - the function the OP is dealing with is linear - you've just over-complicated it!

the function is more complicated, but the idea it conveys is much clearer with more terms, and the LaTex format.

yes i am aware of that but
how can i conclude from the question that i have to substitute (a+h) for x?
if f(x) = 3x + 7, find [ f (a + h) - f (a) ] / h?
i don't see what brings a and h into all this. sorry it's probably really simple but its been a while and i just can't make anything of it
Reply 12

If the OP can't deal with quadratic functions then I doubt they'll be able to handle differentiation from first principles :smile:
Original post by notnek
If the OP can't deal with quadratic functions then I doubt they'll be able to handle differentiation from first principles :smile:

guys id appreciate it if youd stop being so condescending and help out, or else please leave. for background im done with alevels and in my second yr of med school havent done maths for two years, had to do an Aelective precalculus course, came across this question which for some reason or other i cant seem to be able to make head or tail of. if you can clarify things then please do so and if you cant then honestly whats the point of hanging around?
Original post by Callum Scott
the function is more complicated, but the idea it conveys is much clearer with more terms, and the LaTex format.

Don't overcomplicate a simple idea.
guys id appreciate it if youd stop being so condescending and help out, or else please leave. for background im done with alevels and in my second yr of med school havent done maths for two years, had to do an Aelective precalculus course, came across this question which for some reason or other i cant seem to be able to make head or tail of. if you can clarify things then please do so and if you cant then honestly whats the point of hanging around?

I am trying to help - I can't help idiots showing off.

When you have anything in function notation then that means replace x by whatever is in the bracket - that how function notation is defined.
(edited 8 years ago)

That was being condescending to the person he was replying to :awesome:, not you lol :P
Reply 17

I can see how my comment seemed like it was directed at you but it wasn't. I was making a point to Muttley79.

I'd be the last person to put someone down based on their mathematical knowledge.
yes i am aware of that but
how can i conclude from the question that i have to substitute (a+h) for x?
if f(x) = 3x + 7, find [ f (a + h) - f (a) ] / h?
i don't see what brings a and h into all this. sorry it's probably really simple but its been a while and i just can't make anything of it

Just substitute aa for xx if it's confusing you, hh just represents the difference between the two xx values.

If you have two points: (x,f(x)) (x, f(x)) & (x+h,f(x+h))(x+h, f(x+h)) then the gradient of the line that joins them is given by:
ΔyΔx=f(x+h)f(x)(x+h)xf(x+h)f(x)h\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{(x+h) - x} \equiv \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h}
idiots showing off.

I put something in LaTex form, with more terms so it became easier to understand!! keep your socks on!

Quick Reply

Latest