The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oakflame
Is there a way to find out what a standard offer say, A*AA, would be in Swedish qualifications? It is quite hard to figure out whether it is worth applying to Oxford. Some universities have stated the entry requirement to be a grade point average of 19.5 for example.

According to the website - Avgangsbetyg with a total of 2500 points, with scores of MVG (excellent) or A or B in the majority of relevant subjects.
Original post by Lucilou101
Your choice of college doesn't affect your chances of getting in at all. So just pick one you like if you do apply :smile:

Okay, thanks for the information and advice you've given me. I guess Oxford is worth a shot, even though the odds are stacked against me. Our internal UCAS deadline is next Wednesday :angry:
Original post by thechemistress
Hey! Quick question- why is the percentage of ethnic minorities so low at Oxford? For anybody that's been, is it noticeable?
I've decided that I am going to apply to Oxford after a lot of deliberation. I currently live in the city so I know what the city is like, just not what the actual university is like.
I ask because I'm a black student- I just don't want to stick out like a sore thumb :lol:

:hi:

Asian Londoner Oxford (Woosta) alumna here, reporting for duty :bhangra:

I believe I'm right in saying that the overall percentage of ethnic minorities is pretty much in line with other comparable unis. If you're referring to the low proportion of black students, I don't think any can give a definitive answer but having worked for Oxford's Target Schools programme and various access initiatives, I can say with some confidence that a lot of people from ethnic minorities have things that prevent them applying to Oxford. For a number of people, this may be the stereotype of Oxford being a place for posh white people and them thinking they won't fit it. For others, it will be not being in a position to apply grades-wise due to poor schooling. For others (Asians more than black students, I'd suspect), they are not allowed to leave home for uni and are expected to go to their local uni, so they can continue living in the family home. And so on and so forth.

Whether or not you will notice the lack of ethnic minorities at Oxford or feel 'out of place' because of it, is a subjective matter and depends to some extent on what kind of area you've come from. Like I said, I'm an Asian Londoner and I went to school in Hounslow (very Asian area) BUT my school happened to be full or Irish and Polish people, So almost all my friends were white anyway and I didn't feel too out of place doing my course (which was full of white people - I was the only British-born Asian for my course in my year group of about 65 students, and there were no black students on my course in my year).

You will inevitably get people who make somewhat dodgy remarks made towards you, but this is almost always out of ignorance rather than racism or to be spiteful. These kind of things happen in most of the top unis with a majority-white student-base - Oxford is nothing special in this regard.

I did encounter some racism at uni, I'll be honest about that, but when I finally got round to reporting it, it was dealt with extremely quickly and efficiently. So if someone says something iffy to you, either correct them yourself or if you think it was a deliberate, knowing slight upon you, then report it to someone.

So to sum up: please don't let worries about your ethnicity and people's remarks stop you from applying to Oxford! Yes, you will be one of a small number, but no one worth knowing/spending time with will be racist towards you :nah:
It's such a shame that 2 things I wanted to do on the Open Day are running at different college at exactly the same time. But that aside! Who else is going to be around Oxford on Friday? I'm mostly going to be around Hertford college, scoping it all out (and cat-hunting) but will likely swing by Harris Manchester if there is time. If anyone is likely to be around either of those and looking to go around with a buddy or fancies giving me a tour, I'm totally up for it! :smile: Always love meeting other learners!
x
Hey! Quick question- why is the percentage of ethnic minorities so low at Oxford? For anybody that's been, is it noticeable?
I've decided that I am going to apply to Oxford after a lot of deliberation. I currently live in the city so I know what the city is like, just not what the actual university is like.
I ask because I'm a black student- I just don't want to stick out like a sore thumb :lol::

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I believe I'm right in saying that the overall percentage of ethnic minorities is pretty much in line with other comparable unis.
I think Oxford does have difficulty recruiting black students, for who London universities can be more appealing.

You would definitely be in a small minority (exacerbated by the college system meaning you could easily be the only black student in your college, because the numbers are so low) but I would encourage you not to let that put you off!
A question for the admissions tutors - the school discourages more than one applicant applying for the same college and course, and says they will be disadvantaged because the college will not take two from the same school.
Is this correct?
The course in question only has a few colleges offering it, and so the choice is limited anyway.
TIA!
Hi, I'm applying to Oxford this year whilst studying first year of the same course at another uni- has anyone else had similar/known of any similar experiences? I intend on applying for Physics. I applied to Cambridge last year and was rejected post-interview and autopool, but achieved 4 A*s while kind of ill at A2.
I have some personal reasons for applying again as well as the obvious reasons :smile:
Original post by pizzocalabro
A question for the admissions tutors - the school discourages more than one applicant applying for the same college and course, and says they will be disadvantaged because the college will not take two from the same school.
Is this correct?
The course in question only has a few colleges offering it, and so the choice is limited anyway.
TIA!

I don't think that policy does exist, the reason why some schools try to encourage students not to do this is because it puts them in direct competition with each other, which could be difficult for the students.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by fluteflute
I think Oxford does have difficulty recruiting black students, for who London universities can be more appealing.

You would definitely be in a small minority (exacerbated by the college system meaning you could easily be the only black student in your college, because the numbers are so low) but I would encourage you not to let that put you off!

Thank you for raising this important query.We monitor ethnic minority applications (EMA) carefully and are working with the University to improve this and other areas of admissions.

Our experience suggests that EMAs are very similar to non-EMAs in terms of gender, schooling, and academic attainment.They differ in terms of regional location (there is a Greater London and South East concentration), choice of subject(EMAs tend to be more attracted to particularly over-subscribed subjects notably Law, PPE, Medicine,and Economics & Management). We think EMA applicants may also be drawn on average from less affluent households than non-EMAs, controlling for geographical location - with considerable variation of course across individuals.
Relative to white British (WB) applicants, we think we receive proportionately fewer black EMA apply than might be predicted from national data of A-level attainment and also fewer Asian and Chinese EMAs. The reasons for this are unclear and there are several possible explanations. Firstly, success in boosting applications across the UK, through regional outreach, may have raised the proportion of potential WB students electing to apply (since they are more uniformly distributed across the UK). Secondly, it is possible that some EMA applicants may be discouraged from applying because of the type of courses on offer at Oxford, or because the proportion EMAs at Oxford (while above the national population average) lies below their local school environment, or because there is a family expectation to live at home while at University.
Statistical analysis indicates that a UK EMA and non-EMA candidate with the same prior attainment (GCSE A*s)and predicted attainment (A-level A*s) applying for an equally competitive subject face comparable odds of success. This suggests that the main reason success rates of EMA candidates lies below that of non-EMA UK direct applicants stems from the fact that EMA candidates apply disproportionately for over-subscribed subjects. Drawing causal inferences is, however,complicated by data issues and potential endogeneity and we are interested learning more from larger-scale studies as they become available.

While we are posting, we'd like to remind everyone that the final Open Day of 2015 takes place tomorrow. It is fine weather today and we are crossing our fingers it stays fine for you tomorrow if you are visiting.
http://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/about-brasenose/news/1414-open-day-countdown
(edited 8 years ago)
I ask because I'm a black student- I just don't want to stick out like a sore thumb :lol:
Current stats:
GCSEs- 11A*s 1B
AS- AAAA
A2 predicted grades- A*A*A*A* (bio, chem, physics, maths)
Course: Medicine
College: ??? I'm considering Somerville, Keble and Brasenose at the moment but I'm not 100% sure xD
Other: UKCAT - 3200, BMAT- doing on the 4th of November D: D:

Hey lol this is a bit irrelivent but when I went to Oxford for this Easter school last year. Me and my friends who were all black or Asian were talking to this black Scottish guy who studies Medicine and asking him questions about it. He said there was no racism, or he hadn't encountered any. He was genuinely the nicest person ever haha, he said he was apart of the acs but he has friends from all races. He was a post grad as well. Just made us feel like there would be no problem going there. There was also a girl who we met at college we were staying at who was studying phycology, admittedly, she went to a private school so I think that's a bit different but she said she loves it there. I think it's probably less about colour and more about class. Just a thought :smile: Good luck, I am thinking about applying for English.
Hi guys! I'm applying for Medicine. Has everyone already started on their personal statements/gotten their teacher refs/started studying for BMAT? I feel very behind :/. (I'm international but currently applying for a French citizenship)
Just back from the Open Day, and honestly had a lovely time meeting tutors and other undergrads at Hertford. It was a little scary being one of only 2 people in the Oriental Studies meeting, especially with an entire Japanese rugby team wandering around!
Really enjoyed the tour, seeing the hall, the rooms, and my favourite - the Chapel! Was far more informal, friendly and community-spirited than I expected, and I'm even more delighted for it.
I am still internally apologising to the two lovely Oriental studies tutors for my long nervous babble! :,) They were incredibly patient and extremely interesting, and also very encouraging towards me, which was deeply appreciated! <3

Whether or not I am one of the lucky ones to get called in for an interview, I can whole-heartedly say I love Hertford College, and it is not only beautiful, but the staff and students there are super friendly and also incredibly down-to-earth. I felt so comfortable talking to everyone I met, it was genuinely delightful! So thank you, everyone at Hertford for a lovely day! :smile:
x
Just sent in my application! :eek:
Original post by antigone-

Now the wait begins!
Original post by Plagioclase
Now the wait begins!

Very scary :frown: Best of luck to everybody!!
Original post by antigone-

I hate you. :biggrin:

I just started rewriting my personal statement.
Original post by MouseyBrown
I hate you. :biggrin:

I just started rewriting my personal statement.

:wink:

Damn, good luck! You have time dw :smile:
GCSE grades: 4A*s, 2As, 3Bs, and 2Cs
AS-Levels: AABB (English Literature, History, Classics, and Drama)
A2 Subjects: English Literature, History, Drama and AS Creative Writing (for fun!)
Predicted Grades: I haven't been given them yet.
Course: English Language and Literature
College: Christ Church
Other: Also have got to prepare a piece of work and take the ELAT on the 4th November!

Teachers have just started my reference now, and I'm re-drafting my personal statement. EXCITING TIMES! :biggrin:
I know it's a bit silly, but I'm scared to send my application off in case I suddenly remember I've done something wrong, or want to make any changes! I guess I'll have to get over this fear soon and just press send!
Original post by LoveToArgue
I know it's a bit silly, but I'm scared to send my application off in case I suddenly remember I've done something wrong, or want to make any changes! I guess I'll have to get over this fear soon and just press send!

You can make changes if you call up UCAS. In addition, you can change your course/uni choices up until about 7 days after you've submitted it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending