The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Txhmid
I am currently deciding what to do for GCSE
Which one is harder AND WHY!

Personally if you enjoy writing essays/ like english I would say history is really good. I really enjoyed it and was predicted an a* all through year 10 and 11. Sadly idk what happened but I got a B in the exam :P and despite being predicted a C in Geog all year I got an A :P but anyway I defo enjoyed history waaaay more, and began to HATE geography. But I think if you like science, some of Geog is similar.
Geog is more theory, History is more about how you construct an argument/present the facts.
If History didn't have so many dates for you to remember, I would say they're both easy. But because of the technicalities of History and the length of the essays, I'd say it was more difficult but I certainly enjoyed Geography more.
Reply 122
bump
Reply 123
Original post by Txhmid
bump

just do geography man

i tried so hard for history, barely scraped a C

i did **** all in geography, never really liked it, did not even do my coursework properly (did it wrong too), had no folder, had no text book, took no notes, didn't even show up to like half the lessons, drove my OCD teacher crazy (sorry sir) , memorised 0 case studies, did not revise AT ALL except glance at someone's notes like 5 seconds before the exam, got a high C

also got an A* in the mock for physical, human was always the one that let me down -_- so got an A in the mock with around 3-4 days of revision

grade boundaries are also as low as them v shaped valleys, 66% for an A* daymmmm

now i wish i did better so i couldve done it for A level, i started to enjoy it when it was too late :P
Reply 124
i have until thursday to decide and even after all these comments im still finding it hard to choose
Reply 125
bump
Original post by Txhmid
i have until thursday to decide and even after all these comments im still finding it hard to choose

Did you say which exam board you will be doing for them?
And what are your other options?
Reply 127
I am doing Edexcel for Geography and Edexcel or AQA for History.
My other options are: Sociology and French
Reply 128
Original post by Txhmid

sociology is PISSSSSSSSSSSS easy
but loads of writing i think

geography doesnt have as much writing and is more respectable cos it's like a core humanity but still easier than fricking history - plus geo opens loads of doors for you

avoid languages at all costs
Reply 129
Original post by Txhmid

i'm telling you man -

when it comes down to it

geography

i would do that over and over and over again

plus you can take history a level without having taken the gcse so no losses here

how are your grades in english when it comes to writing essays and making conclusions and that?
Reply 130
In English I am like a grade B.
We used levels in year 9; levels 1-8.
I got level 7's a lot.
Writing essays, I am good at but in history I heard you need to nail down the technique to get a lot of marks.
Conclusion is like stating your opinion or something like that right?
Reply 131
bump
Reply 132
i revised very hard for both geography and history at gcse

for geography my coursework was a C
Paper 1 i got an A
paper 2 i got a C
so OVERALL i got a C

for history my coursework was a B
Paper 1 i got a B
paper 2 i got a C
paper 3 i got a C
so OVERALL i got a B

i would highly recommend history as it is much easier and also is more fun and engaging
GEOGRAPHY WAS SO BORING!!!
Reply 133
bump
Original post by Txhmid
bump

I know I already replied to this thread, but what do you personally find more interesting? What field do you wish to enter when you're older?
It depends what you find hard. My friends who take Geography have something like 20 hours of coursework to complete, whereas in History we have like 5 hours. If you enjoy History, I would definitely take it. I personally hated Geography so I dropped it. There is a lot of dates to revise in history, so bear that in mind. Most people here have just put their grades in, but think about what you are good at. If you are good at essays, then you just passed your History GCSE :tongue:. It's just interpreting sources, which some people find hard, but if you did well at English then I'd assume you'd find History pretty easy. Anyway, good luck making your decision :smile:
History 100%, I do both and i'm in year 11 right now and history requires a LOT of work than geography.
Reply 137
Original post by caseynh
I know I already replied to this thread, but what do you personally find more interesting? What field do you wish to enter when you're older?

medicine
Well I'd say history is easier but that's because geography never interested me and didn't take it for GCSE.
Reply 139
Original post by Txhmid
bump

ok :-I just blank me
dont just bump ads without replying
people spend time replying and would just like some respect
jeez

Latest